• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Unseen footage of cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

WhoIsDo

Back before DICE had the development rights to Star Wars Battlefront, Free Radical Design were making Star Wars Battlefront III. The footage above is pre-alpha, so it'll look pretty bad from a texture perspective & it would have been on 360 & PS3 instead of the new systems that we have now.

What do you think?

Bruvas

The finished article might have been great, but folk would still moan about it somehow. I wonder what it's like to work on a project like that for a time then have it canned?

Wickett42

Seeing this, it makes me glad that Battlefront ended up slipping into the shadows for awhile, because it's obvious they were just going to rehash all of the same stuff.

Bruvas

Seeing this, it makes me glad that Battlefront ended up slipping into the shadows for awhile, because it's obvious they were just going to rehash all of the same stuff.
That's what everyone wants apparently... Apart from us cool guys that are accepting of difference and change :D

Wickett42

That's what everyone wants apparently... Apart from us cool guys that are accepting of difference and change :D

Dang straight. I prefer evolution and improvement over rehashing the exact same idea over and over again, but, you know how those Call of Duty's sell.

ThatOtherGuy

Dang straight. I prefer evolution and improvement over rehashing the exact same idea over and over again, but, you know how those Call of Duty's sell.

Except they didn't evolve the game at all, they basically downgraded to the first game, upgraded the graphics/sound, and then took everything that made the first game so much fun, out of the game.

Is the game pretty and fun? Of course!

Does it deserve to be a battlefront game? No.

But so much is lacking, not to mention the pick up system for vehicles is terrible. What was wrong with having them spawn on the map and have people jump in? What happened to this big "Immersive" experience they were talking about? I honest to god would have been so happy if they had mad this game identical to the second battlefront, and just upgraded the UI/Graphics/Sounds - etc. Take what needed to be improved and improve it.

As of right now the spawn system is trash too, why not give us a choice so I don't have to be blasted in the back of the head 5 times before it puts me at another spawn point.

This game is good as a stand alone game, but it lets down the battlefront name, and insults every person who loved the original battlefront games.

Edit: Just wanted to add, one of the ground breaking features of battlefront 3 was going to be the ability to seamlessly shift from ground to space battles, and by winning either on ground or in space it gave you an edge to help win in the other area. So your team could choose to push to take the skys for orbital support, or take the ground to have heavy anti orbital cannons.

Tell me that doesn't sound better than stopping a on the rails walker.

Wickett42

Except they didn't evolve the game at all, they basically downgraded to the first game, upgraded the graphics/sound, and then took everything that made the first game so much fun, out of the game.

This make no sense at all. First of all, this Battlefront is a reboot, so continuing to compare the previous two Battlefronts with this one is a waste of time. Secondly, Battlefront is a Star Wars game. I don't care who you are, no game has ever captured the feel of Star Wars like this one has. It's like putting yourself into the movie, it's beautiful. Saying it doesn't deserve to be called Battlefront is just a pathetic way of saying, "It's not exactly what I wanted so it's stupid."

But so much is lacking, not to mention the pick up system for vehicles is terrible. What was wrong with having them spawn on the map and have people jump in? What happened to this big "Immersive" experience they were talking about? I honest to god would have been so happy if they had mad this game identical to the second battlefront, and just upgraded the UI/Graphics/Sounds - etc. Take what needed to be improved and improve it.

As of right now the spawn system is trash too, why not give us a choice so I don't have to be blasted in the back of the head 5 times before it puts me at another spawn point.

Do I think the game is perfect? No, but your complaints are minuscule in the big picture. Saying it isn't immersive though also doesn't make any sense to me. The game really pulls me in regardless of what mode I'm playing.

This game is good as a stand alone game, but it lets down the battlefront name, and insults every person who loved the original battlefront games.

Yeah, no.

Edit: Just wanted to add, one of the ground breaking features of battlefront 3 was going to be the ability to seamlessly shift from ground to space battles, and by winning either on ground or in space it gave you an edge to help win in the other area. So your team could choose to push to take the skys for orbital support, or take the ground to have heavy anti orbital cannons.

Do you know I have not once noticed that the AT-ATs are on rails? There's no where for them to go anyway. They have a set path and job. It's still fun to play as them, and it's still fun to take them down.

greedyfl78

They missed a lot of opportunities by skimping on single player missions. This IS a Star Wars game, but where are the space battles? And the replay ability of the single player missions is non existent. What this video shows would have been awesome! I would be happy if single player and multi player had the same stuff, and you have an option to connect to a server for multi play, or don't and the stuff would be all bots. Although I want more solo stuff, why no space battles?

Wickett42

They missed a lot of opportunities by skimping on single player missions. This IS a Star Wars game, but where are the space battles? And the replay ability of the single player missions is non existent. What this video shows would have been awesome! I would be happy if single player and multi player had the same stuff, and you have an option to connect to a server for multi play, or don't and the stuff would be all bots. Although I want more solo stuff, why no space battles?

They have dogfights, which is pretty much the exact same thing, you just aren't way above the planet floating around in space.

Here's what I find so funny. If this game looked like what was in that footage, everyone would be bitching that the game was exactly like Battlefront 2, and let's be honest, it would be. It looks exactly the same in almost all areas.

Bruvas

Fighter Squadron is much better, so the space battles argument is strange. Sure there are no battleships to fly around, but there are canyons and turrets which look a lot better than a star field....

JDumlin

i loved the original and i love this one too. you don't speak for me. games are meant to be fun. i would play this game even if it was just the hoth map over and over again. as a kid i played the empire strikes back on atari endlessly. so what if you think it doesn't deserve the battlefront name. maybe the should have called it Star Wars: For People That Grew Up Loving Star Wars

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements