After Burner has seen a few games in its lifetime, starting from arcades to Sega Genesis. There were only three games for the series. Until 2006, when Sega-AM2 developed After Burner Climax for Sega’s Lindbergh arcade hardware. Yes, same name, same game. Climax for PSN and XBLA is a straight port of the same name, only adding a few more features, and upgrades in some areas of the game.
I enjoyed After Burner’s fast, furious, action-packed – hell I even enjoyed sitting in its innovative cockpit arcade cabinet. Too bad I couldn’t play it all the time because the game sucked up 4 freakin’ quarters EACH time! Well, except for when that “Game Over” screen comes up, which cost 1 quarter a screen. I still enjoyed it.
Here’s the information we have so far about After Burner Climax, which is scheduled to be released in the spring:
Take to the skies and experience blazing speeds in the world’s fastest fighter jets!
The classic arcade game After Burner has now returned for a new generation of gamers. After Burner Climax is fast and frantic action, putting you in the cockpit of the world’s fastest fighter plane. Dodge planes, rockets and bullets while trying to target multiple on-screen enemy aircraft. Built for all skill levels, everyone will be able to take to the air and blaze through a branching storyline and over 20 stages. Unlock achievements along the way to unlock exclusive Avatar Awards using your experience and expertise.
• Choose your Aircraft – Select your aircraft from the F-14D Super Tomcat by Northrop Grumman to the F-15E Strike Eagle and F/A-18E Super Hornet by Boeing. Personalize your plane with a selection of 4 different paint jobs including: standard paint, camouflage, special paint and Low Visibility
• Over 20 Stages – Play through each stage at blazing speed with your personalized fighter aircraft.
• Branching Storyline – Keep your head under pressure with limited time to make adrenaline-fuelled decisions, and experience different paths through the game based on
• 4 Game Modes – Build up your skill in Training Mode and then take flight in Arcade mode. Play through Score Attack to see how you rank on the Online Leaderboards.
• EX OPTION Mode – Enjoy the exhilarating flight in overwhelmingly superior condition and take down multiple enemies at a time.
• Climax Mode – When your Climax Gauge is full, time will slow down and your lock-on cursor will expand. This is your chance to lock on to enemies en masse and take them all down at once!
• Weapons – Blast away close range enemies with the gun with access to unlimited ammo. Shoot missiles that lock on to enemy aircraft.
• Awards – Your skills will be tested to unlock exclusive Avatar Awards that are made available to the expert player.
Source: Sega of America Website