After previewing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III to basketball players before the actual reveal. Promotional materials for Call of Duty 2023 was leaked and lead players to believe that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III is the final name of 2023’s Call of Duty title. Activision sent out a package to content creators like Swagg to send them into a scavenger hunt. When the scavenger hunt did not go over too well with fans, the next morning, Activision let the cat out of the bag: It’s official – Call of Duty 2023 is Modern Warfare III. That didn’t take long for us to get more information about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III. The antagonist is in fact Makarov. The first teaser of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III had a silhouette of Makarov and Captain Price. With the new reveal trailer, Makarov is the focus, and alludes to his storyline.
Leaks have been saying that you’ll be able to “carry forward” content from Modern Warfare II. Activision CONFIRMS this in tweets, and now they’ve posted a new blog post to detail how this will work…
I’ll explain it briefly: Activision is planning to carry forward Modern Warfare II content into Modern Warfare III.
With the official Worldwide Reveal of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III now only days away, Comms have now officially activated. And for the first time in Call of Duty’s history, a vast amount of content from a previous Modern Warfare game will transfer – or “carry forward” — and be available in the next Modern Warfare title. The content delivery is incredible: As an example, expect your available arsenal to combine weapons from both Modern Warfare titles, giving you a massive repository of armaments ready to use on day one!
We know you have many questions, not least about the content you’ve unlocked and collected during your time playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, as well as the second iteration of Call of Duty: Warzone, and how all of it is accessible in Modern Warfare III. Good news: We’ve compiled the most frequently asked questions about Carry Forward, and you’ll find detailed answers below.
What is “Carry Forward?” According to Activision…
The term “Carry Forward” simply refers to content currently available to players in Modern Warfare II and the current version of Call of Duty: Warzone (such as weapons and cosmetic content, including Bundles, Operators, and other rewards and unlocks from the game), and how much of it will be accessible in Modern Warfare III.
The “Carry Forward” has some caveats, and Activision went on to explain this:
- A small amount of content may be unavailable if gameplay offerings are different inModern Warfare III. For example, if MWIII doesn’t have the Tactical Amphibious Vehicle, or a specific piece of Tactical or Lethal Equipment in any game modes, any Skins you’ve unlocked for these items in MWII won’t be in MWIII. In addition, Wartracks (music) will not carry forward from MWII to MWIII.
- This blog does not reference the impressive amount of planned MWIII-specific weapons and cosmetic content; this is simply explaining the MWII content available in MWIII.
- There will be no “Carry Back” (from MWIII to MWII).
Activision went further…
1. Does Carry Forward also apply to Call of Duty: Warzone (MWII)?
You should expect Modern Warfare III content to be integrated into Call of Duty: Warzone at the start of Modern Warfare III Season 01, including all the Modern Warfare II content specified in this blog, where applicable. Content is additive, so none of the previously described MWII Carry Forward content acquired in Call of Duty: Warzone will be taken away.
2. Is Modern Warfare II and Modern Warfare III Content accessible in Call of Duty Warzone Mobile?
Call of Duty: Warzone Mobile will include shared progression across Modern Warfare II, the current iteration of Call of Duty: Warzone, and Modern Warfare III as one of its key features. We intend to make all Operators, Weapons, Blueprints, and cosmetic equipment accessible, as well as integrating Player Level, Battle Pass access, and Weapon progression among these games. We’ll have more details to share on this as we near the worldwide launch of Warzone Mobile.
3. How does Carry Forward work regarding any Operators I may have acquired?
For Modern Warfare II players, all unlocked Operators and Operator Skins will carry forward into Modern Warfare III. This essentially means that every Operator a MWII player has unlocked, obtained via challenge, or purchased (including the PlayStation® Exclusive Oni Operator), will be available in MWIII.
For MWIII players who do not own MWII, MWII Base Operators will not be available.
Note: “Base Operator” means the Operator with their default Skin, which may require a challenge to unlock.
Note: Unless otherwise specified, “Modern Warfare II” content also applies to content you’ve obtained during the second iteration of Call of Duty: Warzone that launched with Season 01 of Modern Warfare II.
4. What happens to MWII Operators who are no longer available as a Store Bundle or who are obtained due to a timed exclusive window (e.g., a Season Operator)?
For Modern Warfare II and Modern Warfare III players, timed-exclusive MWII Operators and/or Skins are not available if they haven’t been unlocked or purchased. This mainly relates to Battle Pass Operators and Skins, as well as BlackCell Operators and Skins.
5. Does all cosmetic Operator Skin content carry forward?
Store Bundle Skins for all MWII Operators will carry forward.
6. What happens to Operators who exist in both MWII and MWIII? For example, assuming Captain Price appears in both games, are “MWII Price” and “MWIII Price” two separate Operators?
If Captain Price appears in both games, he is regarded as the same character and is selected in the same Operator menu screen, with any MWII and MWIII Skins and other content available in this selection menu.
7. Do all weapons in Modern Warfare II and their Blueprints carry forward to Modern Warfare III?
All Modern Warfare II weapons will be available for Modern Warfare III players, although each weapon’s associated unlock challenge must be completed before it becomes accessible in MWIII. Any Blueprints also carry forward, and certain MWII Blueprints available via Store Bundles will also be available to purchase in MWIII.
Some Base MWII weapons were available for a limited time during MWII’s Seasons of content, and are initially inaccessible to MWIII owners, unless the specific Weapon Unlock Challenge for that weapon has been completed.
To reiterate: If you haven’t played MWII and pick up MWIII, the full complement of MWII weapons will be available, but only after the associated weapon challenges in MWIII are completed.
8. Do all attachments in Modern Warfare II also carry forward? Can I use MWII attachments on Modern Warfare III weapons?
All Modern Warfare II attachments will be available in Modern Warfare III and can also be used on MWIII weapons, assuming they are attachable to the weapon in question.
9. Will Modern Warfare II Weapon Camos, including Mastery Camos and those awarded for completing Events, be carried forward?
All Weapon Camos will carry forward into Modern Warfare III. Limited-time Event Camos that were available only during a certain period are accessible if you unlocked them in Modern Warfare II at that time.
10. Can a player use a Modern Warfare II Camo on a Modern Warfare III weapon? Can a player use a MWIII Camo on a MWII weapon? What about “completionist” Camos?
Modern Warfare II Camos cannot be equipped on Modern Warfare III weapons, and vice versa. However, you can equip a previously locked MWII Camo onto a MWII weapon in MWIII if you fulfill the unlock criteria in MWIII.
11. Can a player level up a Modern Warfare II weapon in both games?
Weapon progression will continuously update between games.
12. If a Tactical or Lethal Weapon has a Skin (like the “Wumpa Grenade” from “Tracer Pack: Crash™ Bandicoot”), do they carry forward?
Yes, provided the tactical or lethal is accessible and available for use in MWIII.
13. Is there a reason to purchase Modern Warfare II if all the weapons are available in Modern Warfare III?
You would be able to have some or all of your Modern Warfare II weaponry arsenal fully leveled up and unlocked, along with their associated Camos, ready for Modern Warfare III launch, providing you put in the appropriate time to unlock and level up this content in MWII, prior to – or even after – playing MWIII.
14. Do Weapon Charms (including Weapon Mastery Charms), Weapon Stickers (including Decals), Emblems, and Loading Screens all carry forward?
15. What about Vehicle Skins, Wartracks, and Calling Cards?
Caveat: Some MWII vehicles, and Wartracks from MWII will not be available to use in Modern Warfare III.
Note: Challenges within MWII (e.g., Seasonal Prestige Challenges allowing Calling Cards to be unlocked) can be unlocked only in MWII, but unlocked Calling Cards (including those you go back and unlock in MWII) will carry forward.
16. Are there any Modern Warfare II cosmetics that won’t be supported in Modern Warfare III?
Generally, no, aside from the following caveats:
Some vehicle Skins may not be available (see Question 15).
Wartracks will not carry forward.
Some Tactical and Lethal equipment may not be available depending on the removing of those items in MWIII, to be replaced with MWIII-only equipment.
Exact Tactical and Lethal equipment within MWIII will be revealed at a later date.
Otherwise, all this Modern Warfare II cosmetics will be usable in Modern Warfare III. However, as with Operators and Weapons, any cosmetic item with a limited time unlock won’t be available unless it was unlocked in MWII at the appropriate time.
17. How do I know whether a Modern Warfare II Store Bundle features content that can be used in Modern Warfare III?
Due to the labelling denoting that the content is usable in both games. This labelling is scheduled to be visible in the MWII store starting on August 16.
18. In general, what happens if I purchase Modern Warfare III first, and then purchase Modern Warfare II? Will the MWII content still be shared?
If you own both games, you’ll have both sets of content, no matter when you purchase. Weapon progression will continuously update between games (see Question 11), and if an Operator is unlocked in Modern Warfare II (via a Campaign, Multiplayer, or a Special Ops Challenge), that (Base) Operator will then become available to use in Modern Warfare III as well.
19. Does all Carry Forward content work in a “Carry Back” capacity? For example, can I use unlocked Modern Warfare III content in Modern Warfare II?
There is no “carry back” from Modern Warfare III to Modern Warfare II. No MWIII content will be playable in MWII.
If you’d like to see all of the blog post, here it is.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III is scheduled to be released on November 10, 2023. No other information was revealed, again. That being said, Activision says August 17, 2023 is when we will learn more about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III.
Check out the Key Art for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III…