• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

SharaElyse

One of my all time favorite games would be The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I remember waiting all week for Saturdays to come when my parents would let me and my brothers play our N64. We were allowed an allotted amount of time to play our N64 each morning. I would usually choose to play this game. 
I would end up paying my brothers for extra time so I could complete some of the tedious puzzles before  my time was up! Those were some silly times, but very memorable. 

Do you have any memories playing this game? Do you think this was a great game?

SLTE

Got Ocarina of Time when it first came out, and I still have that copy floating around my house somewhere. It's a great game, but I don't find that it has aged amazingly well. There are better, more enjoyable Zelda games out that I would rather play. Even Majora's Mask was a much better game, IMHO, and that was the direct sequel to Ocarina.

Still. Good game. All those sequels wouldn't be as good as they are without Ocarina to build on. I wouldn't mind replaying it, if only for that epic final battle with Ganon.

To this year Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are my favourite Zeldas, and one of my favourite games ever. They're downright legendary in my eyes. Ocarina has perfected the Zelda formule, while Majora's Mask treaded where no Zelda game has dared to. What I love about both of those games are memorable characters and places and beautiful music. I especially love the original Astral Observatory theme. It perfectly fits the melancholy of World coming to an end soon, and being trapped in a wrong body. Can't believe they changed it for the remake.

Nithin

As someone who was just a few months old when the original Ocarina of Time came out, I never played the original game on N64. However, I did buy a used copy of the GameCube port that was bundled with Wind Waker and I never really got into it. A few year later I get the 3DS remaster with my system for Christmas, and I loved it! Being able to play it with the nicer graphics on the go, along with the surprisingly effective gyroscopic controls, was a delight. I completed the main story, and at some point I may attempt the Master Quest. A classic game, one of my favourites for sure.

You have to play Majora's Mask 3D. It's my favorite one along with OoT. You will love it too! It puts heavy emphasis on side-quests and world-exploration (obviously not as much as sandboxes, but yeah...). It's also very dark and twisted. It reminds me of Lars Von Trier's Melancholia, except it came out earlier than the movie.

Ocarina of Time is unquestionably a great game and a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda franchise, both for expanding the series to the third dimension on the N64 and for how it expanded the Zelda mythos with as its true chronological beginning.  In fact, I tend to divide The Legend of Zelda franchise into two distinct eras: before Ocarina of Time and from the Ocarina of Time onward!

However, all of that being said: I quite honestly think that Majora's Mask surpasses Ocarina of Time as an even greater game!  Majora's Mask has a superior density of monsters in its over-world (comparable to that of the classic NES and SNES games in the series), the use of transformative masks gives the game a variety and character absent in most other Zelda games, and I consider its story to be one of the franchise's finest! For these reasons, Majora's Mask gets my vote for the greatest Zelda game--followed by Ocarina of Time as the second greatest. The SNES' A Link To The Past gets my bronze model for third place.

SimiWolfie

My brother got the Ocarina of Time for his birthday one year, and while he went away for a weekend, he gave me permission to play it. It was one of the easiest, yet hardest games I ever played and even beat. To this day, every time I get an N64, it's the first game I buy to go with it, then I buy Majora's Mask to suit.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements