• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Your thoughts on where the Wii-U stands now and your opinion of it?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty
The Wii U is exactly where the Wii was, minus the sales. Its basically become the Nintendo box, which is where I think Nintendo should focus with the next gen system. What do I mean by "Nintendo Box?" Its a console that doesnt have the same power as the other consoles, but is sold considerably cheaper. Its meant to be your second or even third console behind a Sony or Microsoft console. (If you're a console peasant) That is the very essence of what the Wii U is now, except its beyond over priced for what it has to offer in both hardware and OS/infrastructure. The sad part about this is both Atlus and Capcom were up for sale, but Nintendo refused to buy them because Nintendo still thinks its 1983 Japan. Nintendo could have grown their sales exponentially capturing a massive portion of the fighting, and horror fans with Capcom and JRPG fans with Atlus. Imagine Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Persona and the Shin Megami series being exclusive to Nintendo.

bruh2.jpg

LiquidEvilGaming

The Wii U is exactly where the Wii was, minus the sales. Its basically become the Nintendo box, which is where I think Nintendo should focus with the next gen system. What do I mean by "Nintendo Box?" Its a console that doesnt have the same power as the other consoles, but is sold considerably cheaper. Its meant to be your second or even third console behind a Sony or Microsoft console. (If you're a console peasant) That is the very essence of what the Wii U is now, except its beyond over priced for what it has to offer in both hardware and OS/infrastructure. The sad part about this is both Atlus and Capcom were up for sale, but Nintendo refused to buy them because Nintendo still thinks its 1983 Japan. Nintendo could have grown their sales exponentially capturing a massive portion of the fighting, and horror fans with Capcom and JRPG fans with Atlus. Imagine Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Persona and the Shin Megami series being exclusive to Nintendo.

bruh2.jpg
Well the one major thing you can say about nintendo at least is virtually all of it's good software isn't available on PC in a superior format. 99% of Xbox content can be purchased on PC and about 90% of Playstation content is also on PC. However given the changing market landscape who knows if that will remain true in the future.

Fujikura

Nintendo already announced a new console is in the works. My opinion is they should focus on handheld market since that works best for them.

LiquidEvilGaming

Nintendo already announced a new console is in the works. My opinion is they should focus on handheld market since that works best for them.
As far as i know no such official announcement has been made,just talk of the QOL platform (not a console) and the fact they are hiring for a new graphics chip developer (aka have not even started on the new console yet) if you have any concrete info to the following by all means share. But thus far i have not seen a thing to the contrary.

Floydstrife

if I find it for 100 again ill buy it ..it seems slow like badly slow I enjoyed my game cube because it had pikmin and harvest moon and Zelda .........only one of those games are for the wii u

Terramax

1st parties usually begin work on their next console shortly after the release of their current system. For instance, regarding the PS4 (taken from Wikipedia).

According to lead architect Mark Cerny, development on Sony's fourth video game console began as early as 2008. Less than two years earlier, the PlayStation 3 had launched after months of delays due to issues in production.

Nintendo working on their successor to the Wii U is no suprise.

As for what I think of the Wii U - it's certainly given me more enjoyment than the Wii ever did, but achieved far from the greatness that I enjoyed on the Gamecube (which I still own and play to this day).

I own 16 Wii U title, currently playing Lego City Undercover whilst finishing off Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario 3D World. Every game I've played for the console thus far has been solid, but not amazing. With the over-reliance on sequels, there just hasn't been any surprises, and it looks to be that way until Splatoon arrives on the scene.

I really hope Splatoon reaches us as soon as possible. Right now, it's very tempting to trade in a number of my Wii U titles to help pay for an Xbox One and a copy of Sunset Overdrive. Splatoon is the only thing holding me off, seeing as they're fairly similar games in concept (bright, fun TPS games, that are meant for online play).

Nintendo are losing money with the Wii U, and the game is increasingly losing 3rd party support. However, should the console have been a success; besides seeing some more 360 / PS3 multiplats, I don't think anything would be different right now. Nintendo wouldn't be producing any more games, nor would they be producing any faster considering their strategy to keep their company as small and closely knit as possible. In any case, the only thing to do is to simply enjoy the console. It's a nice little machine, and I prefer playing on the tablet, but I'll admit that the Xbox One was probably the better option for me.

LiquidEvilGaming

1st parties usually begin work on their next console shortly after the release of their current system. For instance, regarding the PS4 (taken from Wikipedia).

Nintendo working on their successor to the Wii U is no suprise.

As for what I think of the Wii U - it's certainly given me more enjoyment than the Wii ever did, but achieved far from the greatness that I enjoyed on the Gamecube (which I still own and play to this day).

I own 16 Wii U title, currently playing Lego City Undercover whilst finishing off Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario 3D World. Every game I've played for the console thus far has been solid, but not amazing. With the over-reliance on sequels, there just hasn't been any surprises, and it looks to be that way until Splatoon arrives on the scene.

I really hope Splatoon reaches us as soon as possible. Right now, it's very tempting to trade in a number of my Wii U titles to help pay for an Xbox One and a copy of Sunset Overdrive. Splatoon is the only thing holding me off, seeing as they're fairly similar games in concept (bright, fun TPS games, that are meant for online play).

Nintendo are losing money with the Wii U, and the game is increasingly losing 3rd party support. However, should the console have been a success; besides seeing some more 360 / PS3 multiplats, I don't think anything would be different right now. Nintendo wouldn't be producing any more games, nor would they be producing any faster considering their strategy to keep their company as small and closely knit as possible. In any case, the only thing to do is to simply enjoy the console. It's a nice little machine, and I prefer playing on the tablet, but I'll admit that the Xbox One was probably the better option for me.

1. What are your thoughts of Lego City undercover? Haven't had a chance to try that one yet and was eyeing it recently.
2. Nintendo did recently finally post a profit with the Wii-U and isn't losing money per unit sold anymore which is good...but stilll they definitely need to do something and i agree on that front as i addressed it in the video that they really haven't been a dominant force since they had stellar third party support aka SNES.

On a side note yeah Sunset overdrive looks like a ton of fun Iv'e never been a huge huge Xbox fan but this one looks fun, i just can't warrant a purchase of another console for one game. Though i'm sure within a year or two (unless they put all their exclusives on PC) there will be enough games i want to warrant a purchase for sure. I'm still waiting for more Gears info also as Halo 5 with Master Chief not being the focus feels like a bit of a letdown for me since i always played Halo for the background story and lore..never really cared for the MP.

Yanikun

I think that the Wii U is the only "old-school" home console left. My tastes in home console games, and, I would assume, Nintendo's as well, haven't changed since the "retro" days. Games tended to be much more arcadey, much more gameplay-focused, and partly due to graphical limitations, even the more mature games were overall more colorful. Split-screen multiplayer was a thing.

If you look at how things were in the '80s and '90s, in my opinion the Wii U is the most faithful to that era. I don't have any interest in games like Destiny, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs & Co., I just want current-gen versions of the type of games I played before the 2000s.

That's what I think is hurting Nintendo. Because of the advances in technology, the mainstream expects photorealism, open worlds, and Hollywood-like story-telling. When I was working at GameStop, it was like the only thing people over 10 years old were buying were games rated 16 or 18. Bonus points for games whose protagonists are white, in their 30s, tall, athletic, brown-haired, frowning and have a stubble. And of course they must have some kind of firearm.

It would feel forced if Nintendo tried to make a game like this because clearly they have no interest in them, but it's what the mainstream has been playing for the last 10 years on home consoles. That's why I'm not interested in the PS4 and Xbox One, they're essentially the same thing and have very little for people whose tastes in games haven't changed in the past decade.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements