• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Why is Vita not doing so well....

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

3VOLVE

I <3 Innuendos.
Well Sony its getting to be very very obvious why Vita is having slow sales, being a fan (not fanboy) of PlayStation I have no issue with that.
But it was the launch of the vita-

Don't get me wrong Vita had about a bit over a dozen of titles at launch plus some first party accessories but lets face it mostly they messed up.

• Ridiculous Memory Card Prices
  • Lack of First-Party Titles
  • Horrible Connectivity with PlayStation3
  • Un-complete PSN Usage left out core features like Premium Avatars

But we can;t put all the blame on SONY because it was indeed the Hackers fault more of.
See hacking the PSP was good and fine a while back but SONY cracked although they still tried their best the hacking left a mark in Sony's release plan.

First off we have to use Proprietary Memory Cards because of them, Spending less time about the security issues would've have given Sony more time to get the collaboration with PS3 and PSN down.
Now its obvious hackers will try and ruin the Vita but the hackers a re more to blame than SOny much, much more.

The Vita still will shine when more titles release, but as it stands it the Community that is the biggest problem.
The PlayStation VIta is an amazing device, Sexy, Powerfull, Accomplished, but it won't sell as Sony thought at launch because of hackers.

So lighten up on Sony guys, the hackers are to blame, because as it stands the Vita may have bad sales but there are over 100 games in development for it and or released, as for other consoles didn't have that much especially within Sony's time frame.

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
If it gets hacked and people can play ps2 games and nes and stuff I bet we see a big rise in sales but if Sony would start releasing a ps2 emulator and a all the best games for real cheap plus release a ton of free ios like apps., it would also keep it legit and get tons of software sales as well.

curtismyhero

In my personal opinion I think it's a matter of the chicken versus the egg. Many will say b/c of hacking there were no games on it, and other will say b/c of the lack of games people resorted to hacking. For me personally, even with the hacking abilities of the psp, it just never interested me. I never had one, and the ONLY game (through it's whole lifespan) that I ever wanted to play was Birth By Sleep.

3VOLVE

I <3 Innuendos.
In my personal opinion I think it's a matter of the chicken versus the egg. Many will say b/c of hacking there were no games on it, and other will say b/c of the lack of games people resorted to hacking. For me personally, even with the hacking abilities of the psp, it just never interested me. I never had one, and the ONLY game (through it's whole lifespan) that I ever wanted to play was Birth By Sleep.
tsk tsk tsk

AZ33

The only reason why the sales aren't doing so well is because like you so rightly said Dusean17 is that the hackers are too blame for that they have just lost sony millions of $$$ and so that is why everything is so priced high so they can try to crack that.

Another reason is that the advertisement... Sony haven't advertised the vita so well, half of my friends have no clue what the PS Vita is so i have had to show them, which is annoying because then i have risk of losing my precious!

Also being a loyal buyer of Sony products that is how i got to know of the Vita and i love it! :)

So what Sony need to do is invest in the money and let 3rd party people join in on the vita and release more stuff for it, and with the money improve software, make better games, and more advertisement placings.

3VOLVE

I <3 Innuendos.
The only reason why the sales aren't doing so well is because like you so rightly said Dusean17 is that the hackers are too blame for that they have just lost sony millions of $$$ and so that is why everything is so priced high so they can try to crack that.

Another reason is that the advertisement... Sony haven't advertised the vita so well, half of my friends have no clue what the PS Vita is so i have had to show them, which is annoying because then i have risk of losing my precious!

Also being a loyal buyer of Sony products that is how i got to know of the Vita and i love it! :)

So what Sony need to do is invest in the money and let 3rd party people join in on the vita and release more stuff for it, and with the money improve software, make better games, and more advertisement placings.
It will be up in a bit!
Probably at Christmas they will sell like Hotcakes, I do believe that it will sell more than the 3DS, but that still won't shut 3DS fanboys up.

I'm sick of all fanboys but especially Nintendo fanboys.

AZ33

hopefully they do and, yeah the 3DS fan boys can get a bit annoying at times, but they know that the Vita has surpassed the 3DS so all the fan boys are just seeking attention. ;)

akhi216

I ain't sign up for that
The Vita's only doing bad in Japan because the 3DS had a Monster Hunter game that was just released last November.

bwit

The problem with this argument is that you, like Sony, make the assumption that every pirated game is a lost sale. Studies have shown that this is far from the truth. In fact, very few people who pirate programs would have bought a copy if they couldn't steal one.

In my opinion Sony has spent far more money trying to stop piracy than they ever would have lost as sales. They've also inconvenienced quite a few honest customers in the process.

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
The problem with this argument is that you, like Sony, make the assumption that every pirated game is a lost sale. Studies have shown that this is far from the truth. In fact, very few people who pirate programs would have bought a copy if they couldn't steal one.

In my opinion Sony has spent far more money trying to stop piracy than they ever would have lost as sales. They've also inconvenienced quite a few honest customers in the process.
Completely agree if three had put all the time and money they spend at making it an closed platform into marketing and bringing in game developers they would have already passed 3ds sales.

Codebreaker

The Vita's only doing bad in Japan because the 3DS had a Monster Hunter game that was just released last November.
This - so many people harp on about the sales in Japan but the vast majority of the games on the system appeal to western audiences. Wait until MH drops on this thing.

It's only been out for two months, I don't think Sony was expecting massive sales immediately. I know in Australia most stores sold out quite quickly of the Vita. Give it time.

DeathMoJo

The Navy Guy
It will be up in a bit!
Probably at Christmas they will sell like Hotcakes, I do believe that it will sell more than the 3DS, but that still won't shut 3DS fanboys up.

I'm sick of all fanboys but especially Nintendo fanboys.
Completely agree if three had put all the time and money they spend at making it an closed platform into marketing and bringing in game developers they would have already passed 3ds sales.
I would totally disagree here on grounds of the PSP vs DS sales. The Vita is roughly 15 MILLION in sales behind the 3DS. It would have to outpace the 3DS at over 3 million in sales per year just to break even after 5 years.

Now this is not to say the Vita won't do well, but you have to look at the demographics as well as the install base. The DS/DSi/3DS appeal to parents due to the nature of kid games out there for the younger ones and more casual gamers. Just because the Vita will have AAA titles with great graphics, that won't always drive sales.

Just look at the sales of Pokemon and Mario series of games. Those are HUGE driving factors for Nintendo, always have been and will continue to be. People felt the 3DS sold poorly and it did but Sony doesn't have the install base to surpass the 3DS in sales. The 3DS had the millions of DS fans to account for. The PSP had a good amount of owners but not nearly the base.

You also have to look at the initial investment. A 3DS has been as low as $149.99 new, but most times people pay $179.99 + tax (some places). The Vita runs you $249.99 + $19.99 for a 4gb memory card. The 3DS comes with 2gb installed. You are looking at almost $100 more to start out. If you factor in a game you are over the $300 mark. Remember many consumers are price driven. Why has the Kindle Fire sold so well? Price. I feel once the Vita gets more the $200 price point sales will start to take off. Also, remember a lot of technology driven people compare the use of their phone and tablets and some don't see the need for a dedicated portable gaming console as their tablet/phone fills that need for them.

Now with all this i am not trying to discredit the Vita in anyway, i was a launch buyer, have bought 5 games for it, paid for 3G, and spent over $200 in accessories and an extended warranty. I have almost $500 invested into it as a whole. I feel the Vita will succeed in its own right, just as the PSP did. I hope it does better and it does take off because that means more games for us and in the end more quality games and franchises.

I agree here, combating piracy is good but i would like to see if they have any figures on what was spent to combat the piracy. The memory card price and the price of the system is the main complaint for most people, but this is to be expected because people are looking to save every penny they can.

I want to see how Sony handles this going on, but knowing Sony they will stick to their plan they always do with their products.

IVIaster220

One of the main reasons that will always lead the Vita to lower sales is because of how family friendly Nintendo is.

Parents can buy mario and not have to worry about him shooting out profanity (That would be pretty funny though). It has to be hard as a dev when your in between two age groups. Do you go for the younger kid friendly, or do you go for the bloody gun shooting for the mature audience. Nintendo has several main characters that bring Nintendo millions...Mario, zelda, and pokemon...

What do we have for the Vita? or Even PS3..

Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers (Lets not go there), and some other titles I can't think off. Most of our big titles are shared with Xbox...We need more million dollar characters to draw in sales.

Well put DeathMoJo and IVIaster.

Also, remember the backward compatibility of the 3DS. Any DS (and probably DSi?) cartridge can be used on it. That makes the 3DS a nice upgrade path for people (kids) who had a DS/DSI and it broke and they still have game cartridges which they can continue playing on the 3DS. They do not have to go repurchase any of those games.

AZ33

The problem with this argument is that you, like Sony, make the assumption that every pirated game is a lost sale.
i never said it was a lost sale. I said that they lost sony millions of $$$ trying to crack it down not lose sales.

Lawking10

Well Sony its getting to be very very obvious why Vita is having slow sales, being a fan (not fanboy) of PlayStation I have no issue with that.
But it was the launch of the vita-

Don't get me wrong Vita had about a bit over a dozen of titles at launch plus some first party accessories but lets face it mostly they messed up.

• Ridiculous Memory Card Prices
  • Lack of First-Party Titles
  • Horrible Connectivity with PlayStation3
  • Un-complete PSN Usage left out core features like Premium Avatars

But we can;t put all the blame on SONY because it was indeed the Hackers fault more of.
See hacking the PSP was good and fine a while back but SONY cracked although they still tried their best the hacking left a mark in Sony's release plan.

First off we have to use Proprietary Memory Cards because of them, Spending less time about the security issues would've have given Sony more time to get the collaboration with PS3 and PSN down.
Now its obvious hackers will try and ruin the Vita but the hackers a re more to blame than SOny much, much more.

The Vita still will shine when more titles release, but as it stands it the Community that is the biggest problem.
The PlayStation VIta is an amazing device, Sexy, Powerfull, Accomplished, but it won't sell as Sony thought at launch because of hackers.

So lighten up on Sony guys, the hackers are to blame, because as it stands the Vita may have bad sales but there are over 100 games in development for it and or released, as for other consoles didn't have that much especially within Sony's time frame.
Their is several reason why the PS Vita is not doing so well at the moment;
-No Monster Hunter (Japan) No COD (EU/US)
Monster hunter sells a hell of a lot of units in Japan. To not have it launch for the vita was a big mistake... Monster hunter is all Japan needs to sell the vita.

It's the same story with COD. All the core/hardcore gamers buy just about every COD, every year, (Which is good for the vita considering core/hardcore gamers are the vitas target audience) no matter what. COD Maybe the same thing over and over, but its also the best selling franchise of all time... The vita is missing that right now.

The main reason why people won't buy the vita at the moment is because the vita is targeted at the Core/Hardcore gamers... You may think thats good, but they're a lot more casual gamers then hardcore gamers right now. This is why the 3DS is massive in Japan right now.

Other reasons can consist of the game price translations from the US to the EU. A good example is fifa. Fifa is $35 on the US PS Store right now (I think), while it is £44.99 (about $15 more!) in the UK, That's daylight robbery... seriously.

Sony are not in a good position with the vita right now, but I'm sure that will change once E3 hits and all the AAA titles are announced.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements