• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Why Do You Folks Prefer Sony over Microsoft?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty
I've been questioning why I own Sony products anymore. The only answers I can come up with are Uncharted and Naughty Dog. I own games like Infamous 1, 2, and 3, but I've only played Infamous One once, and never felt the need to go back. With Infamous 2 and 3, I played a few minutes of 2, and 3 is still sealed. I used to be a massive Killzone fan, not the online, just the single player. However, after Shadowfall, the franchise is dead to me.

I'm not saying Microsoft has the killer 1st party games either. To be brutally honest, the only Halo game I ever got into was Reach. I played Reach with a former friend, and I'm not really sure if I only liked the game because I was spending time with a good friend or if it was due to the game play. The fact I haven't even looked at the game since we stopped being friends leads me to believe it was more because of him. Gears was a series I loved, up until Judgement. There were so many bugs, one reoccurring bug that would stop him from reviving me, it just broke the game. Fable is really the only 1st party game I can say that I enjoy from Microsoft. I freely admit its nothing special, in fact its rather average, but Fable is my type of game.

Thus, with 1st party games out of the way, it basically comes down to the features of the console. Considering I care not for TV, streaming, recording, movies, music, or really even party chat, its thats irrelevant. Thus it REALLY comes down to the UI and what each company has done.

I prefer Achievements to Trophies. I like having an actual # value besides each achievement as opposed to some fake trophy, which leaves me guessing how much of an impact said trophy will have on my over all percentage. I like the tile interface, its just more appealing than what Sony has going on. I also enjoy that Microsoft places money into securing DLC first. Sure its timed, and may be seen as a shitty practice, but I rarely see Sony stepping up and doing the same for their consumers. I really only remember GTA 5 and Destiny. I know Microsoft gets a lot of shit for DRM, but no one gives them credit for removing DRM and actually listening to their fans. The same thing goes with Kinect, which personally, I somewhat like, but admit is a little buggy.

All I know is that over the past few years Sony has done me wrong. Everything from basically stopping support for Vita, in my region, to promising features in the PS4 and not delivering. I mean, really, how long have people been requesting to be able to change their name on PSN? Why wont Sony let us do it!?

In the interest of not shitting all over Sony, I do like the way their Sony Store is set up. I also liked their real currency compared to the retarded MS Point that Microsoft had going on for the longest time. PS + is a great deal for players on a budget. Being forced to own PS +, I've found an appreciation for some of the mid tier games they've released on the service, like Virtues Last Reward.

Yeah... so what keeps you guy loyal to Sony.

Trent

I would say my biggest thing comes from the fact that the friends I had when I grew up with used Nintendo and PlayStation, and the IP's that I like.

The majority of Microsoft's Games are western-developed and many of them are, in essence, shooting games and action games and stuff like it. They have some JRPGs and whatnot mixed in, but a lot of Xbox hype goes to games like Titan Fall, Halo, Gears of War, etc. Shooting games are one of my least favorite genres, and I more prefer JRPGs above all. So, since Sony has a much, much higher count of JRPGs, they are whom I lean towards.

Another is that I'm primarily a handheld gamer. My PS3 is basically a Blu Ray player right now, very seldomly getting actual games to play on it. Microsoft doesn't have a handheld right now, not counting Windows 8 Tablets and whatnot. So, I go to handhelds, which are Nintendo and Sony, mostly Sony as a lot of Nintendo's bigger titles I use for more casual play than serious.

Honestly, I have played much more PlayStation than anything else. I have owned an NES, N64, PS1, PS2, and PS3 with home consoles, and I played the most on the PlayStation systems. So, naturally, I lean towards PlayStation. If I had an Xbox, or they made an Xbox Portable, would I look into it? You bet. But it hasn't happened yet. So, I'm more of a Sony/Nintendo person. Not that I hate Microsoft or anything. I love their PC's and Operating Systems. They just don't have a lot of games on Xbox that I am terribly interested in.

teflontactics

All the good Microsoft exclusives (in my opinion, idgaf about yours :p) come to PC as well as XBox consoles, so having anything XBox is useless since normally I have a PC capable of playing them all.

It's simply a best-bang-for-my-buck decision, as if the shoes were flipped I'd be doing the same thing by avoiding Sony consoles instead.

Nazar_Ops

Sony has better exclusives and better hardware. But lately they've been getting on my fucking nerves with the Vita bullshit.

Lazerith

1. Better hardware

2. Good exclusives that aren't shooters. If you look at playstation systems, they have really good exclusives from EVERY genre. For Xbox systems, their best exclusives are all shooters. They have good exclusives from other genres, but they are few and far in between. The only exclusive non-shooters I have for my Xbox 360 are Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and Fable. I am not interested in anything else atm. Gears of War and Halo are good exclusives, but once again they are shooters.

3. More friends on PSN than XBL

4. Playstation Plus

5. Bias. I grew up with Playstation and Nintendo, so obviously I like them more.

LiquidEvilGaming

1. Better exclusives to my own tastes, Gears of war,Halo and most of Microsofts exclusives i find are all very FPS/Action based and not really my thing. Sonys studios Pump out games like The last of us,Jak and Daxter,Uncharted etc.

2. Superior hardware The xbox one is around 20-30% behind PS4 in terms of specs and it's showing with many multiplats hitting 1080P on PS4 and not Xbox one or higher frame rates on PS4 etc Much akin to how 360 was top dog last gen on multiplats. We are seeing this NOW very VERY early on....imagine 2-3 years from now?

3.PS+ PS+ gives out much better games than Games with gold IMO and owning a PS3/PS4/Vita it's an insane value having all three.

4. Hardware reliability after the fiasco that was the RROD on 360 i'm VERY hesitant to trust Microsoft anymore after sending in my 360 EIGHT times for service. The XBox one has been much better so far but has still had it's share of issues to a smaller extent with Dead Disc drives and some other issues on their forums.

5. I hate 360/One controllers
A. They are to myself uncomfortable for long sessions compared to PS3/4
B. They are still stuck in the 90's using batteries or forcing you to pay again MORE money for a batter kit?

6. I'm interested to see how project Morpheous turns out and Microsoft has no current equal. And their one piece of addon hardware the Kinect failed miserably and already the Kinectless ONE is selling better than the Xbox one with it.

7. Sony is far more Indie game friendly resulting in more indie games during those dry release times when we see no major AAA titles.

8. I can use any Hard drive inside my PS4 i choose and expand it's storage (big deal breaker for me) Xbox one is said to be allowing external drives soon however i still prefer the speed/reliability of internal.

9. (purely opinion) I think the Xbox one looks like an Ugly VCR and is an eyesore at best.

10. Iv'e experienced both customer service of Microsoft and Sony when problems arise and i find myself lucky to even get someone who speaks english when i call Microsoft let alone get them to understand the problem besides just telling me to reset the console 900 times.

11. Sony's extended warranty options have Accidental damage options Microsoft does not and it gets VERY cloudy with big companies what is ""mechanical failure" and what is accidental. Iv'e seen cases of too much dust being blamed as accidental on the consumer. I like knowing my hardware is covered no matter what.

12. I like having a handheld to supplement my gaming experience and say what you will about the Vita Microsoft doesn't even offer one.

13. i have a VERY VERY large time (Trophies PSN friends etc) investment into Sony products, and VERY large financial investment (Digital games physical etc) so short of Microsoft dominating the games industry with games only available to them i see no logical reason to switch.

Iv'e experienced both sides every generation until current and i don't see myself having any interest in an Xbox one (as of this time things do change) and considering the multiplats Run and look better on PS4 and the exclusives upcoming look better on Sony's side....and Sony tends to (with the exception of handhelds) support their hardware longer than Microsoft has...I'd sooner recommend you buy a Wii-U to suppliment your gaming experience with exclusives Nintendo has no one else does...rather than from a hardware standpoint inferior technology to the PS4 for a handful of games at best you can't find elsewhere (Not to mention most big Xbox hits launch on PC if you have one leaving even LESS exclusive content)

I just can't justify a single reason for me to even consider an Xbox one right now and this is coming from someone who owned and love both his PS3 and 360 (hardware faults aside).

Cheers

TeknoBlast

I guess I'll be the odd man of the group. I prefer the Xbox console any day. I've been an Xbox guy since the original Xbox. I have owned a PS1, PS3, and now a PS4 and PSVita.

I was never butt hurt when MS announced all the original policies and the required Kinect. DRM policy, I was welcoming it, no issues on my end. Is the Kinect perfect? No, but I like how it functions with the system. Kinect games, I'm only interested in two that are in development. So it's not a big deal. That extra $100 that everyone cried about because they were "forced" to purchase a peripheral that one didnt like, didn't bother me at all. I actually like this Kinect than the first one. The first one was crap. I'm not saying this to justify my purchase, I honestly do like it.

Between exclusives and multiplat games, I have way more on the Xbox One than on my PS4. Just like everyone has their opinion on the games for a system, I prefer the games on the Xbox than the PS4. On the PS4 I only own four games, two exclusives and two multiplats. I do plan to purchase The Last of Us, but not now.

Online friends, the Xbox UI, online system, controller, and exclusives games are superior to ME than what the PS4 has to offer...and yes, I used superior because seems it's the only word people like to throw around these days. Before anyone rolls their eyes...again, just like you have your opinion, I have mine. Just because one hates the Xbox for any reason doesnt make it a fact. So to burst your bubble, ones opinion is not a fact.

Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy the PS4 system. This is why I own one. I do enjoy and look forward to the exclusive games that the system has to offer. The online store needs some work because it's a total mess. It's an improvement from the PS3 days, but still needs some work. The UI is not bad, it's a prettier version from the PS3 UI. The MS Store and its UI also needs some improvement, it's not a perfect system. So dont think I'm just dogging on the PS4. Both systems equally need system improvements and system features.

As for graphics, dont kid yourselves, both systems look amazing. One may look darker or lighter than the other. One may have improved shading than the other, yada yada yada. Either way, graphics on both look amazing. These graphic debates are getting old and childish. I didnt get both systems so I can compare that one little leaf on that far away tree and say to myself, "wow, this system is better than the other because that leaf looks so real."

At the end of it all, why does it matter if one person prefers one over the other. We all share the same entertainment, that's the games that we all share in common. PC, Xbox, Playstation, Vita, DS, Wii, Wii U......they all play games that we all enjoy and no one should be insulted, ragged on, or belittled for choosing one system over the other.

LiquidEvilGaming

I guess I'll be the odd man of the group. I prefer the Xbox console any day. I've been an Xbox guy since the original Xbox. I have owned a PS1, PS3, and now a PS4 and PSVita.

I was never butt hurt when MS announced all the original policies and the required Kinect. DRM policy, I was welcoming it, no issues on my end. Is the Kinect perfect? No, but I like how it functions with the system. Kinect games, I'm only interested in two that are in development. So it's not a big deal. That extra $100 that everyone cried about because they were "forced" to purchase a peripheral that one didnt like, didn't bother me at all. I actually like this Kinect than the first one. The first one was crap. I'm not saying this to justify my purchase, I honestly do like it.

Between exclusives and multiplat games, I have way more on the Xbox One than on my PS4. Just like everyone has their opinion on the games for a system, I prefer the games on the Xbox than the PS4. On the PS4 I only own four games, two exclusives and two multiplats. I do plan to purchase The Last of Us, but not now.

Online friends, the Xbox UI, online system, controller, and exclusives games are superior to ME than what the PS4 has to offer...and yes, I used superior because seems it's the only word people like to throw around these days. Before anyone rolls their eyes...again, just like you have your opinion, I have mine. Just because one hates the Xbox for any reason doesnt make it a fact. So to burst your bubble, ones opinion is not a fact.

Dont get me wrong, I do enjoy the PS4 system. This is why I own one. I do enjoy and look forward to the exclusive games that the system has to offer. The online store needs some work because it's a total mess. It's an improvement from the PS3 days, but still needs some work. The UI is not bad, it's a prettier version from the PS3 UI. The MS Store and its UI also needs some improvement, it's not a perfect system. So dont think I'm just dogging on the PS4. Both systems equally need system improvements and system features.

As for graphics, dont kid yourselves, both systems look amazing. One may look darker or lighter than the other. One may have improved shading than the other, yada yada yada. Either way, graphics on both look amazing. These graphic debates are getting old and childish. I didnt get both systems so I can compare that one little leaf on that far away tree and say to myself, "wow, this system is better than the other because that leaf looks so real."

At the end of it all, why does it matter if one person prefers one over the other. We all share the same entertainment, that's the games that we all share in common. PC, Xbox, Playstation, Vita, DS, Wii, Wii U......they all play games that we all enjoy and no one should be insulted, ragged on, or belittled for choosing one system over the other.

I would say your entire post is well written and i do AGREE the EXTREME majority of everything everyone has said here is indeed opinion....except for one part.

""As for graphics, dont kid yourselves, both systems look amazing. One may look darker or lighter than the other. One may have improved shading than the other, yada yada yada. Either way, graphics on both look amazing. These graphic debates are getting old and childish. I didnt get both systems so I can compare that one little leaf on that far away tree and say to myself, "wow, this system is better than the other because that leaf looks so real."""

The PS4 is factually more powerful than the XBox one is just as the 360 was to the PS3. We have already seen several cases where the PS4 version of a game runs at 1080P and at a higher frame rate than the XBox one version does. So if you think 1080P vs 720P and 10-15 FPS in a game makes no difference at all besides ""lighter or darker"" You good sir are the one kidding yourself. Take a look at the tons upon tons of side by side comparisons and it's not even a competition. That does NOT mean by ANY stretch the XBox one is BAD looking in ANY way...but the PS4 is top dog visually and we are very early onto the generation meaning the Xbox one will likely Max out far sooner than the PS4 will in addition. I agree with everything else you said and yeah the Xbox one is by NO stretch ugly (and frankly if we were all 100% set on graphics we'd all be PC players anyways) But i had to call this one out from a technical/visual Standpoint the PS4 does indeed have a large advantage.

If you want an in detail technical specifications and factual information about the difference between the two

Iv'e almost always bought multiple consoles per generation (and i may down the line get an Xbox one in addition it just has nothing announced/out that fits me personally as of yet..THough once we get some more official Gears of war info that may do it for me)

Last edited by a moderator:

TeknoBlast

I would say your entire post is well written and i do AGREE the EXTREME majority of everything everyone has said here is indeed opinion....except for one part.

""As for graphics, dont kid yourselves, both systems look amazing. One may look darker or lighter than the other. One may have improved shading than the other, yada yada yada. Either way, graphics on both look amazing. These graphic debates are getting old and childish. I didnt get both systems so I can compare that one little leaf on that far away tree and say to myself, "wow, this system is better than the other because that leaf looks so real."""

The PS4 is factually more powerful than the XBox one is just as the 360 was to the PS3. We have already seen several cases where the PS4 version of a game runs at 1080P and at a higher frame rate than the XBox one version does. So if you think 1080P vs 720P and 10-15 FPS in a game makes no difference at all besides ""lighter or darker"" You good sir are the one kidding yourself. Take a look at the tons upon tons of side by side comparisons and it's not even a competition. That does NOT mean by ANY stretch the XBox one is BAD looking in ANY way...but the PS4 is top dog visually and we are very early onto the generation meaning the Xbox one will likely Max out far sooner than the PS4 will in addition. I agree with everything else you said and yeah the Xbox one is by NO stretch ugly (and frankly if we were all 100% set on graphics we'd all be PC players anyways) But i had to call this one out from a technical/visual Standpoint the PS4 does indeed have a large advantage.

If you want an in detail technical specifications and factual information about the difference between the two

Iv'e almost always bought multiple consoles per generation (and i may down the line get an Xbox one in addition it just has nothing announced/out that fits me personally as of yet..THough once we get some more official Gears of war info that may do it for me)

I respect on what you had to say.

I guess what bothers me the most is you get these fanatics from both ends screaming to the top of their lungs about resolution and frame rates, "my system looks better than your hahah, your system is inferior" and on and on and on they go. They act as if they just won some competition and they need to let the entire world know. Now that gets really old and annoying. Yes, if we were all about the graphics like you mentioned, we would all be PC gamers.

As you mentioned in the video, there's no difference unless you're right up against the screen...and who sits inches from their screen. A true test for anyone would be to have the two systems next to each other, same game, and with identical screens. Then that would be a true test. However, the average Joe cant afford that kind of a set up....but that guy still rambles on and on.

Again, at the end of it all, does it truly matter? No.

LiquidEvilGaming

Ultimately it definitely comes down to your games preference instead of visuals as quite frankly i have bought (and see more in the next 6 months) on Vita than on PS4 or have seen on Xbox one combined. And it's not like the Vita can compete with either of them visually. It was just something i figured worth pointing out,ultimately their are opinions and preferences of both consoles but the biggest factor look at the games list current and upcoming and as a consumer decide which suits your tastes. Or if you can do so buy both and don't decide at all :p (Which ultimately is what i end up doing once every console has something i want) It just so happens last gen i had a 360 first and waited awhile on a PS3 purchase this time to my preference happens to have changed,in all likelyhood i'm sure ill end up buying all THREE eventually though.

Cheers

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements