• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

What are your thoughts on Microsoft using Minecraft to teach kids how to code?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

Soulwatcher

So I have seen a story on the news the other day about a school using Minecraft to teach kids how to code. And I am talking about 8 or 9-year-old kids.

Personally, I think it's a wonderful idea because kids are our future and computers are the future of everything. And it amazes me how far we have come as a society. Because when I was that age we were being taught by the Oregon Trail using the Apple 2c LOL. :cwl:

Amie

When I learned about this, I was like, "Finally." I can persuade my son to learn coding next summer class. I have been asking him and convincing him to learn coding for kids since last summer and all I got is, 'K mum.' Speaks a lot about his interest, but I hope this project with minecraft and other disney-themed tutorials will convince him.

Denis_P

I actually had no idea that this was a thing! That is a brilliant idea, in my opinion. The fact is that knowing how to write code and program is and will most likely continue to be an extremely lucrative skill in this age of technology. We're reaching the point where we even have household appliances like refrigerators running programs, so as our lives continue to be filled with technology, there will be a continued need for programmers.

Not to mention that learning from an early age is the easiest way to get a grasp on fairly complicated concepts like coding.

overcast

I definitely like how microsoft is investing into the kids. Also they seem to be more proactive on educating new generation. So that's definitely something I can appreciate. Minecraft though not a good example. As it could lead to addiction. I wonder how they are planning to work on that part.

Mariana

Oh, nice. I had no idea about this project so that's truly wonderful to hear. I really think that learning how to code is so beneficial in today's society... if you look into the future, you will realize that having such knowledge can potentially get you a job. I see so many companies constantly looking for new coders, programmers, and devs. I really support this idea because Minecraft is kids friendly game so using it to teach them something valuable is amazing.

Kieranlewix

I definitely like how microsoft is investing into the kids. Also they seem to be more proactive on educating new generation. So that's definitely something I can appreciate. Minecraft though not a good example. As it could lead to addiction. I wonder how they are planning to work on that part.

Minecraft is a good model for kids to cultivate coding skills. However I do agree with Overcast on this. As much as MC has a lot to offer, it also provides the obvious distraction that is addiction to the game. Personally, I think the idea of learning coding when you are a little bit older, 18-20 years is more appealing, and also more useful. It is also true that the future has a lot in store for us in the technological world so it is probably a good idea for our kids to lern these skills. Generally, I would say we've got ourselves a gray area right here.

Tania997

Investing on kids is always a great idea and Microsoft is doing an excellent job. I never even thought one day this game we all love would be used to teach someone how to code! It's also important that kids learn something good instead of following all of the bad tendencies we have nowadays.

Mariana

Minecraft is a good model for kids to cultivate coding skills. However I do agree with Overcast on this. As much as MC has a lot to offer, it also provides the obvious distraction that is addiction to the game. Personally, I think the idea of learning coding when you are a little bit older, 18-20 years is more appealing, and also more useful. It is also true that the future has a lot in store for us in the technological world so it is probably a good idea for our kids to lern these skills. Generally, I would say we've got ourselves a gray area right here.
Oh that is true. I did not even consider the possible addiction... But still, if you motivate kids they will enjoy learning and when they are having fun they will 100% learn faster and remember the taught things.

So I guess using Minecraft to teach them the coding skills has its own advantages and disadvantages. That's how everything in life is though - there are always precautions.

ecole11j

I love it! It reminds me of how Code.org has used games to teach children to code in Scratch. It might be a thing for teachers to consider if they want to participate in Hour of Code. Computer Science Education Week falls next month after all.

overcast

I think microsoft is investing into the future generation. And they are making use of the games for this. I am sure this is going to help in the growth of the kids mindset. And it can bring them more competitive fields. As STEM is a very good place to work on. I think minecraft can be used to make kids take interest in STEM.

Soulwatcher

When I learned about this, I was like, "Finally." I can persuade my son to learn coding next summer class. I have been asking him and convincing him to learn coding for kids since last summer and all I got is, 'K mum.' Speaks a lot about his interest, but I hope this project with minecraft and other disney-themed tutorials will convince him.
I think it will and I think its great that these companies are getting kids interested. Because kids are our future and truth be told a lot of our IT work is done by other countries because America is lacking the skilled workforce to compete with other countries. So with these companies starting kids off young, it gives the kids a goal in life and it makes programming seem fun to them because they started a such an early age.

Soulwatcher

I actually had no idea that this was a thing! That is a brilliant idea, in my opinion. The fact is that knowing how to write code and program is and will most likely continue to be an extremely lucrative skill in this age of technology. We're reaching the point where we even have household appliances like refrigerators running programs, so as our lives continue to be filled with technology, there will be a continued need for programmers.

Not to mention that learning from an early age is the easiest way to get a grasp on fairly complicated concepts like coding.
Your right almost everything is run by some sort of code these days. And my personal opinion 20 years from now anyone lacking the skills to code is going to get in the dust in life. Because in 20 years from now every single thing on the planet is going to run some sort of code. And they are going to need a lot of coders to repair and write new code for every appliance, automobile, smartwatch, etc. So it's best that the kids learn now at an early age and stick to it.

Soulwatcher

My personal opinion is that by the time kids are 18~20 years old they are already pre~set for what they are going to do in life and that's good or bad. If you start kids why they are young and help mold them to coding it's going to make it a lot easier for them when they go to college and they are hopefully going to have their mind made up and turn out to be productive members of society.

Soulwatcher

I think microsoft is investing into the future generation. And they are making use of the games for this. I am sure this is going to help in the growth of the kids mindset. And it can bring them more competitive fields. As STEM is a very good place to work on. I think minecraft can be used to make kids take interest in STEM.
I think they are investing in the future generation too and I praise them for it. Because when I was a kid going to school was like a revolving door. The teachers didn't care what you were going to do once you graduated high school. They just wanted to graduate and get out of their hair and more or less they treated you like a number. At least Microsoft cares enough about our future generation to give them a head start in life.