• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 Watch Dogs Demo Was Running On A PC And Not On A PS4

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Szayel

Umm, so what?
As long as it plays the same on PS4 I couldn't care less.
You should care. I'm not about to be mislead by a company into buying their system, when they falsely advertised it. I swear if this was Nintendo, everyone would be up in arms about it.

teflontactics

You should care. I'm not about to be mislead by a company into buying their system, when they falsely advertised it. I swear if this was Nintendo, everyone would be up in arms about it.

They don't have a finalized console yet; what would you like them to run it on, a dev unit with no menus?
A little common sense, please. They aren't going to bait and switch; the game will run the same on the PS4.

MadMike

I must have missed the part about Ubisoft selling a console.

Szayel

They don't have a finalized console yet; what would you like them to run it on, a dev unit with no menus?
A little common sense, please. They aren't going to bait and switch; the game will run the same on the PS4.
You don't know that for sure. If Sony is selling me the PS4, I expect to see the PS4 running games, not a PC. Whether it can do it or not-- which I'm sure it can-- you can't deny that it is misleading that Sony didn't acknowledge this.

I must have missed the part about Ubisoft selling a console.

You must have missed the part about reading my post as well. I'm talking about Sony not being honest and admitting that the game was not being run on a PS4. I'm not talking about anything else, yet you and others seem to be taking it that way.
You're not the only one who can get a snarky tone.

Lethal

Retired Moderator
You guys are getting carried away. This is not the first time games have been demonstrated from a PC, it will not be the last. You do know the games are built on a PC first right?

teflontactics

You guys are getting carried away. This is not the first time games have been demonstrated from a PC, it will not be the last. You do know the games are built on a PC first right?

Not only is Lethal correct, as long as they use the same hardware it'll play the same. I doubt they're using next gen processors in their console trying to run games, and then pulling said processor out and using a cheaper, less powerful one. That wouldn't really work well on the coding/compatibility front.

If you honestly think this makes a bit of difference that it was run on a "PC", you should go buy a PC and stick with that. Then you'll never be disappointed, according to your standards.

Iniquity

Holy crap.

EVERY TIME A NEW CONSOLE IS ABOUT TO BE LAUNCHED, TRAILERS OF UPCOMING GAMES RUNNING ON PC ARE SHOWN IN HOPES THAT PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THEY ARE PC GRAPHICS AND NOT CONSOLE GRAPHICS.

Get over it, it's nothing new. However, PS4 is looking to be quite the beast so you probably won't notice any real difference between what you saw at the conference and what is released on the system.

tubers

1. Then that's pretty weird? Why? Doesn't that have a hint of "rushing things".

2. What? dev units have no menus?

3. Runs the same? We don't know that for sure.

As ubisoft said, it was "near" a PS4 spec, that's just vague. A worse case scenario; retail game looks worse or with inconsistent frames and screen tearing (but looks as good).

I just hope they're not doing another KZ2/Colonial/FC3.

It's just questionable why the PS4 wasn't used nor shown. Kinda makes you think about Sony's preparedness.

teflontactics

1. Then that's pretty weird? Why? Doesn't that have a hint of "rushing things".

2. What? dev units have no menus?

3. Runs the same? We don't know that for sure.

As ubisoft said, it was "near" a PS4 spec, that's just vague. A worse case scenario; retail game looks worse or with inconsistent frames and screen tearing (but looks as good).

I just hope they're not doing another KZ2/Colonial/FC3.

It's just questionable why the PS4 wasn't used nor shown. Kinda makes you think about Sony's preparedness.

1. It's weird the console isn't finalized? How so? It's not out yet; they can change whatever they want.

2. The dev units don't have a proper menu, no. It's not pretty like what they were showing, if that's what you're asking.

3. Yes we do. They're using comparable hardware, it says right in the link - “The Watch Dogs demo was running on a PC with specs close to the PS4.” How is that vague? They don't have final specifications locked in yet, and they recently switched GPUs in the dev units. They can't say "It's the exact PS4 specs" if there's no final spec yet, can they?

I love how people come in here and whine when they don't even know what they're talking about :rolleyes:

Yuuki

1. It's weird the console isn't finalized? How so? It's not out yet; they can change whatever they want.

2. The dev units don't have a proper menu, no. It's not pretty like what they were showing, if that's what you're asking.

3. Yes we do. They're using comparable hardware, it says right in the link - “The Watch Dogs demo was running on a PC with specs close to the PS4.” How is that vague? They don't have final specifications locked in yet, and they recently switched GPUs in the dev units. They can't say "It's the exact PS4 specs" if there's no final spec yet, can they?

I love how people come in here and whine when they don't even know what they're talking about :rolleyes:
2 you know they could have started the gane behind the scenes so no one had seen the dev menus.... :mad:

seff5677

i wouldn't worry about the menus, you will get your menus lol. But ya that is sad to hear that demo wasn't run on ps4 hardware. So they are changing an old GPU for another GPU that is outdated lol thats good to know. I guess sony still working on bringing all the hardware together for it to be in sync with their goals/ dev needs.

SoupaFace

So what if they use PC architecture to their advantage. They want the game to look as good as it can be, right?

DarkGremio

Here's some inspiration. The 360 used a computer as well when they were demoing it and doing tech demos.. here's some proof.

kioskwindow.jpg

G5s.jpg

(Powermac :O)

So no one can really complain they haven't seen a unit. There most likely using a dev kit, I mean it's not like there going to lie to you look at the damn specs of the PS4 then Watch Dogs, I'm sure the PS4 can undoubtedly live up to the games full graphical needs.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements