• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

[Updated]Sony Introducing New PS3 Model – PS2 Compatibility Not In The Works Read mo

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

zMeow

So we all knew that Sony was trying to build an “unhackable” PS3. Well just recently, they announced a new model: CECH-3000B. The external features look exactly the same except the power and eject buttons are tweaked a little bit. They did however tweak some of the hardware which they did not mention.Probably just minor adjustments to stop future custom firmwares to run. The article also says that it will have PS2 compatibility which i kind of find to be doubtful. Heres a quote from the arcticle:

At the beginning of last week we learned that Microsoft is set to introduce a new model Xbox 360 Slim. The benefits of the hardware update include the CPU, GPU, memory, and logic all being on one piece of silicon. That in turn means less power consumption, less heat, and a smaller power brick.

This week it’s Sony’s turn to introduce a hardware update for the PlayStation 3, but this one could potentially be a lot more popular than Microsoft’s update. The reason why? PlayStation 2 compatibility is mentioned, although remains far from being a definite feature.

The new PS3 carries the model name CECH-3000B. It will come in both 320GB and 160GB models with the former weighing 2.6kg (down from 3.0kg). Externally it looks exactly the same except for the power and eject buttons getting a slight design tweak.

Specifics as to what Sony has changed internally are not available, but we suspect a similar silicon shrink to the Xbox 360 as Sony has managed to cut power consumption from 230 to 200 watts.

PS2 Compatibility?

Most intriguingly, the translated official Sony information page for the updated machine mentions PlayStation 2 compatibility. Specifically it says in the notes at the bottom of the page that:

“This product, “PlayStation 2″ are having a compatibility with proprietary software.”

It could be a mistranslation, or it may be Sony bringing back backwards compatibility now that they’ve figured out how to do it in software.

PS2 compatibility came as standard on the original PS3 due to the inclusion of the Emotion Engine chip. But with the slim redesign that chip was dropped and with it went PS2 game compatibility.

Well it seems that Google Translate, doesn’t like translating properly...

[本製品は、「プレイステーション 2」専用ソフトウェアとの互換性を有しておりません]
Got translated as [“This product, “PlayStation 2″ are having a compatibility with proprietary software.”]

While it should be translated more like:
[This product doesn't possess the compatibility with the "PlayStation 2" exclusive software.]

So it won’t have Playstation 2 compability.

Don’t rely too much on google-translate I would say.

(this was C&Ped from ps3hax.net)
source

Wiz

Re: [Updated]Sony Introducing New PS3 Model – PS2 Compatibility Not In The Works Rea

Thanx for the info it was really help full but even if Sony tried to make a ps3 that you can't hack of corse someone would figur out how to hack it and that would just take all the fun out of ps3 haha

Bruno_Imported_7

Re: [Updated]Sony Introducing New PS3 Model – PS2 Compatibility Not In The Works Rea

Thanx for the info it was really help full but even if Sony tried to make a ps3 that you can't hack of corse someone would figur out how to hack it and that would just take all the fun out of ps3 haha

Calin Calin Calin ... Your so Dumb but your the coolest cousin ever lol By the way nice post Mac Miller Fer dayz

Wiz

Calin Calin Calin ... Your so Dumb but your the coolest cousin ever lol By the way nice post Mac Miller Fer dayz

Haha Bruno sorry if I bust your bubble just saying someone would hack it

Wiz

Someone else already bursted my bubble.. You were too late :)

Haha well that sucks I really wanted to bust your bubble jk

dont see the point in sony releasing another model with their ps vita on the way , seems pointless to me

Xx305-_-NinjaxX

Are There Any Pictures Of This 'New' PlayStation 3 System Model?

Multi-MoDz

Shouldn't this be in Playstation 3 General, I mean this is okay as it's the Gaming News Section but it would make more sense to be in ps3, Anyways Nice thread, Thank's.

BoBBYdaBo$$

Are There Any Pictures Of This 'New' PlayStation 3 System Model?

i was able to find this picture ninja
PS3-Slim-TQ570.jpg

RealityyLP

Any information on when it is coming out I might buy it for my brother as a surprise since his is broken

xTehKev

Don't wanna buy a new PS3, I'm just going to wait for the PS4 in 2012 or 2014

Adkins

Great info, thank you!

IzBoogz

So we all knew that Sony was trying to build an “unhackable” PS3. Well just recently, they announced a new model: CECH-3000B. The external features look exactly the same except the power and eject buttons are tweaked a little bit. They did however tweak some of the hardware which they did not mention.Probably just minor adjustments to stop future custom firmwares to run. The article also says that it will have PS2 compatibility which i kind of find to be doubtful. Heres a quote from the arcticle:

At the beginning of last week we learned that Microsoft is set to introduce a new model Xbox 360 Slim. The benefits of the hardware update include the CPU, GPU, memory, and logic all being on one piece of silicon. That in turn means less power consumption, less heat, and a smaller power brick.

This week it’s Sony’s turn to introduce a hardware update for the PlayStation 3, but this one could potentially be a lot more popular than Microsoft’s update. The reason why? PlayStation 2 compatibility is mentioned, although remains far from being a definite feature.

The new PS3 carries the model name CECH-3000B. It will come in both 320GB and 160GB models with the former weighing 2.6kg (down from 3.0kg). Externally it looks exactly the same except for the power and eject buttons getting a slight design tweak.

Specifics as to what Sony has changed internally are not available, but we suspect a similar silicon shrink to the Xbox 360 as Sony has managed to cut power consumption from 230 to 200 watts.

PS2 Compatibility?

Most intriguingly, the translated official Sony information page for the updated machine mentions PlayStation 2 compatibility. Specifically it says in the notes at the bottom of the page that:

“This product, “PlayStation 2″ are having a compatibility with proprietary software.”

It could be a mistranslation, or it may be Sony bringing back backwards compatibility now that they’ve figured out how to do it in software.

PS2 compatibility came as standard on the original PS3 due to the inclusion of the Emotion Engine chip. But with the slim redesign that chip was dropped and with it went PS2 game compatibility.

Well it seems that Google Translate, doesn’t like translating properly...

[本製品は、「プレイステーション 2」専用ソフトウェアとの互換性を有しておりません]
Got translated as [“This product, “PlayStation 2″ are having a compatibility with proprietary software.”]

While it should be translated more like:
[This product doesn't possess the compatibility with the "PlayStation 2" exclusive software.]

So it won’t have Playstation 2 compability.

Don’t rely too much on google-translate I would say.

(this was C&Ped from ps3hax.net)
source

Nothing is unhackable. Sony is failing to realize you can prolong the hacking. But the hacking community is relentless. Piracy never dies. As technology grows it seems Piracy gets stronger. It works in their advantages. What Sony should do is study the flaws in their system to make hacking almost impossible. Look @ Microsoft for example. They made their 360 nearly unhackable. You can't even hack their entire system. Only thing you can do is jtag or flash your drive to play pirate games. But found a way to tell if your playing pirated games and ban you instantly. Sony is playing dumb atm. They have to smarten up.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

nice one!!! but too bad u can hack everything.. just gota know how

Empire

<b><span style='color: white; text-shadow: 0px 0px

too many new PS3's :megusta lol but nice find :p

Multi-MoDz

Low Quality Post Much -_- Mod ?
And thanks for the info, Shame every ps3 should be able to play ps2 games they can play ps1 :S

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements