• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Unable to Use

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

Sinkerhawk

I just got my Vita and I think there is something wrong with it. It locks up completely when it comes after 30-60 seconds. I have to hold down the power button for 30 seconds to reset. It them boots into safe mode which then locks up if I don't do something quickly (requiring me to reset again). When I choose the option to rebuild the database, it says it is going to do it, then the screen goes black and it reboots to the main software (which of course proceeds to lock up again). I haven't seen anyone else with this issue, but I'm thinking (based on my limited knowledge of computers) that this unit is SOL. Does anyone have suggestions?

Dremic

I just got my Vita and I think there is something wrong with it. It locks up completely when it comes after 30-60 seconds. I have to hold down the power button for 30 seconds to reset. It them boots into safe mode which then locks up if I don't do something quickly (requiring me to reset again). When I choose the option to rebuild the database, it says it is going to do it, then the screen goes black and it reboots to the main software (which of course proceeds to lock up again). I haven't seen anyone else with this issue, but I'm thinking (based on my limited knowledge of computers) that this unit is SOL. Does anyone have suggestions?

when you say locking up describe the screen.. is it black is it the screen but frozen and you cannot do anything at all? if it's the latter I would return it immediately.

Sinkerhawk

The image on the screen locks up and the system has to be reset (holding power for 30 seconds). The fact that it would lock up the same way in Safe Mode really worried me and sure enough, Sony support told me to replace it. According to Amazon, I won't get my new unit until Monday....so much for a fun Vita weekend. :(

soratheultima

sinkerhawk if you still have it did you try using the buttons instead of the touchscreen... that could be the problem *as in the Dpad and the X cube triangle and square buttons *only use x*

Sinkerhawk

Yes, I tried all the buttons when it locked up. I did try to update the firmware. During that instance, It didn't freeze until 40% into the installation process (not the download, which completed).

Thief_Of_Time

Hi sinkerhawk,

I've been experiencing the exact same problem. I've restored and restarted my vita loads of times from the safe mode menu and formatted my memory card countless time for a quick 10 minute fix but sick of it now as Im having to keep downloading games and loosing my game saves. I've call Sony's helpline 2-3 times but sick of getting told to do a hard reset or take it back to the store and replace it. But I've noticed that I'm only getting the issue whilst trying to use my vita at work. At home, g/f's house, pub and out and about it works perfectly. But when at work I've got a shiny black £300 brick. The only thing I can think of is I work in a factory with a power source and fuse box on the roof of the small building I work within. Are you only experiencing this issue in one location?

Sinkerhawk

Hi sinkerhawk,

I've been experiencing the exact same problem. I've restored and restarted my vita loads of times from the safe mode menu and formatted my memory card countless time for a quick 10 minute fix but sick of it now as Im having to keep downloading games and loosing my game saves. I've call Sony's helpline 2-3 times but sick of getting told to do a hard reset or take it back to the store and replace it. But I've noticed that I'm only getting the issue whilst trying to use my vita at work. At home, g/f's house, pub and out and about it works perfectly. But when at work I've got a shiny black £300 brick. The only thing I can think of is I work in a factory with a power source and fuse box on the roof of the small building I work within. Are you only experiencing this issue in one location?

Hi, Thief....I only used that system at home trying to get it to work. I finally called Sony support and after some diagnostics, they agreed that it was defective. I've since got a replacement from Amazon and so far it's worked perfectly. I'm wondering if your issues could have something to do with the Wi-Fi connection since its issues are location based....did you log in to your work Wi-Fi? Have you tried it at work without logging in? Still, if rebuilding the database doesn't fix the issue, you may have no choice but to replace it. I hope you can get it resolved.

Thief_Of_Time

2 minutes after sending you my prevoius post I put the vista into flight mode and now it's working fine in work. I've tried hooking up to the office wifi and it won't connect. Only problem I face now is if I turn flight mode off again it won't stay unfrozen long enough to rebuild the database! Do you know how I can force my vita into safe mode at home to rebuild it? Or you think I should swap the machine?

Trevor Bates

Exchange it. Shouldn't have software issues with a $250 piece of equipment.

Sinkerhawk

2 minutes after sending you my prevoius post I put the vista into flight mode and now it's working fine in work. I've tried hooking up to the office wifi and it won't connect. Only problem I face now is if I turn flight mode off again it won't stay unfrozen long enough to rebuild the database! Do you know how I can force my vita into safe mode at home to rebuild it? Or you think I should swap the machine?

The following link tells you how to enter safe mode manually: Vita Safe Mode

Since you're already having issues, rebuilding it won't hurt. I can't say it will solve the problems though.

ceramicsaturn

Can't believe you waited this long. If I had a Vita that I couldn't play without it freezing on me, it would have been returned day one. Waiting a week would have put me in withdrawal!

Chookie75

On my second VITA now - same issues - Freezing whenusing Wifi on the 3G version. About to go exchange for a 3rd one today - LAST CHANCE SONY... If it does it again i will be after a full refund. They need to get their act together:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

DarkOneX

Since this issue is so bizarre and it happened on a new one, I'm going to guess it's not the Vita that's the problem, well not the whole problem, but something about the wifi on your router it's not playing well with. Try it on wifi somewhere else and see what happen, also screw the 3G version it's not worthwhile, try a wifi only version instead.