• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

[TUT]How to turn your computer into a webserver-Windows

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedo Leader

Hello everyone, this is my tut on how to make your workstation a webserver, this is mainly for practice purpose so you can test your html,php,java and many other scripts.
Okay so first of all, we need to download apache, apache is a software that will aid us in turning our computer into a webserver.
This is the download link for the latest version of apache at this time of writing.
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#apache22[/url]
This is the download for windows, i will advise you to download Win32 Binary without crypto (no mod_ssl) (MSI Installer).

Installation
1. Once your download is done, run the program.

2. (optional) Read the little write up at the third 'Next' it will help you better understand what apache is all about.

3. Just fill in some sample values, you can follow my template although it is not neccessary. Note: you cannot create a domain just by typing it in. For the domain to work, you must already have it registered and set up to point at your computer.

4. I would recommend you choose to install apache on port 80, this installs it as a service and apache will start everytime you turn on your computer, you might get a warning about a firewall conflict with the web server if you have a firewall set up, in this case, i recommend only using your service as localhost and firewall the server completely.

5. Choose typical installation and install it to your computer it may ask for elevated privileges but don't worry, it's normal.

6. you will notice a new program in the system tray, double click on it. That is the window you will use to restart your web server, you need this when working with your language of choice, y'know php, javascript, html...the sorts.

Testing
1. Type localhost in your browser, i did not add any .com or .net to it.

2. If you don't see 'It Works!' Then don't fret yet, there's still hope, type 127.0.0.1 into your browser, Voila!

3. If it still doesn't work, try going through all the steps again and see what you did wrong, if it still doesn't work, try using google to help you.

It took me a while to write this so please don't put it on any other website.

Virus scan
iCY5P3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements