• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

The Silent Hill Thread.

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Reasonable Addition

Wrong Answer
(Once again I was not sure where to put this-I think it may fit, as there is a Bioshock thread present-you guys should add a survival horror section. :) )

I understand that Resident Evil pretty much established and propelled the genre forward, but I do believe that it was Silent Hill who introduced and paved the better formula in regards to fear factor and atmosphere (Key points-the mist, the darkness, the insecurity and fear felt at the idea of not being able to see two feet in front of you most of the time, as well as really deranged monster design.)-indeed, it has been perfected by other games over the years, but Silent Hill remains my favourite survival horror series ever.

Most especially, I really love the two first games. What I appreciate the most are the intricate and confusing plots, which seem to delve into some really weird aspects...especially the second installment.
But more then that, the methods used to TELL the story are outstanding. The first game seems to have its story told in a more traditional manner, but you really pick up the pieces with elaborate symbolism; while I think the second game is even more confusing, because the plot seems told through a more spiritual manner, where this time the symbolism you pick up means EVERYTHING, if that makes sense.

And that's what this thread will be for-do you have theories, questions and insights about the stories in the series?

Or maybe you would just like to speak about the gameplay-I love these games for their poignant atmosphere and the ability to really lay on the fear factor-no cheap fright moments here, the entire game really plays with the nerves.

Oftentimes, I found myself NOT wanting to solve a puzzle, go into a room or proceed at all-I was TOO SCARED. I tunred it off and went to play Puzzle Fighter. These games are DEPRESSING.

I love it so much. It's rare that a video game can really get ''intimate'' with the player.

Granted, the gameplay intricacies could use some work, especially the controls, and although today, the series seems to drag its formula somewhat, for Silent Hill V, we are promised some elaborate changes, especially for the battle system and environmental interaction. (Enemies will actually follow you through rooms, so you can't always secure a ''safe'' spot if it gets too overwhelming.)

We've been told such things before though, so we'll just have to wait and see...

Anyways-I think I got SOME kind of ball rolling...the general Silent hill thread is open. :)

Bring a flashlight, and minde ye head..er, I mean...

chaleur spectrale

flori veştejite
Silent Hill equals complete and utter fucking epic PWN.

I need to fix something with my computer settings to get SH2 to work, still. :( I'm still in the fucking apartments.

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
The best Horror game series ever?

Quite possibly. Not only is it scarier than Resident Evil(which often seemed more B-movie than genuine terror, but it's an excellent series otherwise as well. Too bad the movie wasn't better :(

chaleur spectrale

flori veştejite

Quite possibly. Not only is it scarier than Resident Evil(which often seemed more B-movie than genuine terror, but it's an excellent series otherwise as well. Too bad the movie wasn't better :(

lol i could hump you for that.

resident evil has jump shocks. That's it. It isn't actually scary.

William1

I'd have to say Clocktower is. But that's my personal opinion.

----

I've only played Silent Hill 3 though. Just the length of it turned me off. I plan on playing Silent Hill 1 and 2 soon.

Reasonable Addition

Wrong Answer
I'm also a big fan of the Clocktower games, especially the second one. I think we need a thread for that series as well. :)

And yes, the film was not all that amazing...but I totally respect the efforts, because not only is the best video game to film adaptation that I've seen yet, but they tried hard to retain the same initial concepts that made the plot in the first game interesting. Things were changed, yes, and Cybil had a face that said ''I'm so gonna bone you'' but it was a good effort, and despite the somewhat boring presentation, they succeeded, in my opinion. Kind of dragging though.

They're also making a second one, where the father goes back to Silent Hill to look for his daughter and wife...

Silent Hill equals complete and utter fucking epic PWN.

I need to fix something with my computer settings to get SH2 to work, still. I'm still in the fucking apartments.

Eh? You mean you never actually finished the entire game? Quick, fix your computer! :)

And I agree, there was really nothing scary about Resident Evil...well yes, there was that slight feeling of loneliness and ever present...presence when you were messing around in halls and alleys...but nowhere near as frightening and disturbing as the almost unbearable helplessness and solitude I felt while playing Silent Hill. It makes me feel so small, lost and...*Hides.*

chaleur spectrale

flori veştejite
I've heard terrible things about the second clocktower...the third one was good, though parts of it pissed me off immensely. never played the first.

i like how silent hill switches between this crushing claustrophia in the 'dark' places, and then agoraphobia in the town. it's so beautiful :)

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Clocktower is another under-rated series!

Dunno if I find it scarier than Silent Hill, but it's still highly enjoyable regardless.

Oh yeah, and if nobody else starts a Clock Tower thread...I will.

Reasonable Addition

Wrong Answer
I've heard terrible things about the second clocktower...the third one was good, though parts of it pissed me off immensely. never played the first.

i like how silent hill switches between this crushing claustrophia in the 'dark' places, and then agoraphobia in the town. it's so beautiful :)

I agree. It's a neat concept, and damn scary. But I wonder what more they could do with it?

Either way, the alternate universe is one of the major things which contributes to the player's sense of utter terror and futility. :D

Oh, and Clocktower thread started. :)

chaleur spectrale

flori veştejite
I agree. It's a neat concept, and damn scary. But I wonder what more they could do with it?

Either way, the alternate universe is one of the major things which contributes to the player's sense of utter terror and futility. :D

Oh, and Clocktower thread started. :)

What more do they need to do with it? Lol...I think it's great already. More mindfreaking puzzles, more fucked up monsters, more insanely twisted stories, a bigger variety of places to turn into hell... that's all Silent Hill needs to keep me coming back :)

Reasonable Addition

Wrong Answer
Yeah, but thinking about Clocktower earlier gave me an idea; what if in a future Silent Hill, the player could iinteract more with the alternate universe? What if YOU decided when it came around and left? That way, some progress could only be made depending on when you switch it, or have places to go into or items to find on specific universe changes...it would be kind of neat.

But in repsect to what you say, this would mean a pretty different protagonist then we're used to, as well as taking away much of what makes that universe creepy to begin with if you're in control of it...So yes, I don't believe that they should actually change the formula too much, but I still think it's a better idea then that Silent Hill shooter in the works. (Which I STILL am going to play. :D)

chaleur spectrale

flori veştejite
Speaking of that, in the first game, I accidentally got into the dark side of the hospital without getting the map first... and i was so lost that i had to restart from the beginning. it kinda sucked :)

It would be kinda cool to have more than one protagonist in each world. One stuck in one and one in the other. And you could switch between them so they can get shit done together. They could use the fuckin' radio to communicate. I r genius.

Reasonable Addition

Wrong Answer
Speaking of that, in the first game, I accidentally got into the dark side of the hospital without getting the map first... and i was so lost that i had to restart from the beginning. it kinda sucked

*Laughs!* You know what, I did the EXACT same thing. But the whole time I thought that there was no map-until I read it on a faq. Second time I played, I looked for it, and was all like...so THAT'S where it was.

It would be kinda cool to have more than one protagonist in each world. One stuck in one and one in the other. And you could switch between them so they can get shit done together. They could use the fuckin' radio to communicate. I r genius.

Actually that IS a good idea. Wait for it, maybe you're the Silent Hill prophet, because a scheme like that would, I think, really take the series somewhere new, without taking away the heebie jeebies.

chaleur spectrale

flori veştejite
*Laughs!* You know what, I did the EXACT same thing. But the whole time I thought that there was no map-until I read it on a faq. Second time I played, I looked for it, and was all like...so THAT'S where it was.
I fucking looked right at it the first time I played the game. I was like "ooo, paper on a wall, maybe i can interactss with it!" and I think I tried from across the desk but never explored the rooms and stuff so I never actually got behind the desk. It was gay.

Actually that IS a good idea. Wait for it, maybe you're the Silent Hill prophet, because a scheme like that would, I think, really take the series somewhere new, without taking away the heebie jeebies.

Hehehe I know rite :D
I think part of how I got that idea was in the movie when Chris and Rose are in the same place, but in different worlds. That was interesting. I didn't realize exactly what was going on the first time I saw the movie, because I'd never played the games and didn't understand how the world shifted and stuff. But yeah. :)

chaleur spectrale

flori veştejite
On a new note, the main character of Silent Hill 5, whose name I think is Alex, looks cute as fuck.

a_1514.jpg

Reasonable Addition

Wrong Answer
Alex Shepperd. :)

Now then, I have taken the liberty of taking some Silent Hill V info which I got from the EGM before the recent one.

Although I believe that most everyone probably already knows this, at least, fans of Silent Hill, I still think it would be of some interest for those less in the know. And, of course, if you have more recent info, please feel free to post it. :) this is a bit old, so new things might have been added.

-Real time wounds! As you take damage, the wounds will appear on the protagonist (Alex Shepperd) and the enemies alike.

-Revamped combat mechanics! Even though they say this for every upcoming Silent Hill game, we are supposed to have a more elaborated, effective and fluid combat mechanics and controls. You can execute light and heavy attacks, resulting in combos actually. As well, every different melee weapon offers different sorts of attacks, and they say that finally, that grubby knife you first get might actually come in handy against certain foes.
Plus some newly devised evasive techniques, which everyone will agree, is much needed. EGM put it as; most Silent Hill games may try and offer some intricate combat mechanics, but in the end, it always just results in a one button mashfest. Not this time though.

No word on the firearms yet, though.

-Enemy AI! Now this is interesting; the enemies are said to react to their environment very well, offering various strategy to employ in order to emerge victorious. For example, the nurses are attracted to light, so, turn on a projector, and the nurses will flock to it like moths, leaving you to sneak by, unnoticed.

Knocking things over or running into walls and doors creates noise, and alerts the enemies of your presence. And as well, the enemies are said to actually FOLLOW you through doors and all, therefore, you can no longer run to safety in a room and the like.

A few more things, the protagonist is a twenty two year old war veteran, so he is a little more equipped for this sort of situation then were previous Silent Hill heroes. (This should imply something neat for the use of firearms, anyway.) Not much information on the plot though, but apparently, you will be looking for your brother whom has vanished, and you actually start in a different town then Silent Hill, but make your way to the latter eventually.
All the things the protagonist has experienced in war will obviously be reflected on his trip to Silent Hill, and although today, this sounds like an almost clichéd concept, we are promised a lot more then this initial presentation.

So these may be minor things to some, but in the end, I am confident that this game will be something special. Plus the enemies are damn weird.

I for one cannot wait, even though the game is not set to reach us for almost a year and a half.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements