• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita The Official: Hacks/Mod Thread

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethal

Retired Moderator
Please read these rules before participating in this thread!

1. Absolutely no links or steps on how to hack the PS Vita, or anything related to piracy.

2. You can talk about homebrew or anything else outside of piracy. (No links or discussions regarding ISO's or Roms)

3. No links to Half Byte Loader. No instructions on how to install it.

4. Same rules apply for the PS3.

This thread will be monitored regularly. You can discuss your favorite emulators and settings, but nothing about roms or how to get them to work. Immediate action will take place to those that can not follow these rules.

Latest version of Vita Half-Byte Loader - 1.67
A new version is rumored to release after PS Vita official firmware 1.80 is released. It is up to you to find out more details.

Some homebrew/emulators that I enjoy on my Vita.

HaloPSP
NesterJ
SNES9x
Duke3D
Counterstrike Portable
Fruit Ninja Final
Deadalus R13
PicoDrive 1.51

aBakedPie

I haven't really looked much into homebrew for the vita, since I just got mine and still have enough to do with it. But does homebrew have any significant benefits? I remember my psp with CFW, but I didn't like it because there wasn't much significant I could do with and the things I was able to do weren't that good either.

aBakedPie

all I want is to be able to play GBA games on it :O
If that is almost the only thing you can do (emulators) with your vita when running CFW, I don't think I will put CFW on mine anytime soon. I remember how annoying it was to get CFW working correctly on my PSP and I don't want to go through that again without having a good reason to do so. Apart from that, do the emulators for the PS vita have any kind of limitations when compared to an emulator f.e for the Ipod touch/iphone 4? Or can you play almost all the same games on both devices?

Lethal

Retired Moderator
I haven't really looked much into homebrew for the vita, since I just got mine and still have enough to do with it. But does homebrew have any significant benefits? I remember my psp with CFW, but I didn't like it because there wasn't much significant I could do with and the things I was able to do weren't that good either.
Right now the Vita is very limited. There are emulators and homebrew available, but nothing major yet. I am waiting for a full custom firmware where we can change the entire interface like we could with the PSP.

On the PSP, custom firmware did not just mean piracy. We of course do not support that here, but it was the amazing new features we could add to the PSP because of the custom firmware.

Ace

with PSS you can already do quite a bit. You can remote play with the pc, same concept as the ps3 except for the PC. That is how that one coder was able to play L4D on his vita as well as I have seen people play ps2 games on their psv.

aBakedPie

Right now the Vita is very limited. There are emulators and homebrew available, but nothing major yet. I am waiting for a full custom firmware where we can change the entire interface like we could with the PSP.

On the PSP, custom firmware did not just mean piracy. We of course do not support that here, but it was the amazing new features we could add to the PSP because of the custom firmware.
Well, lets hope there will come some major breakthroughs in CFW for the vita soon. Being able to customize your interface is one of the thing I am looking for, because the standard interface on the vita is just terrible :p.

Could you list some of the 'amazing features' that could be added to the PSP when running CFW? Although my PSP has CFW itself and even though I have looked into that quite a few times I never found something that amazing. Most things I found where just gimmicks and didn't really add anything usefull, but I might just have missed out on something.

with PSS you can already do quite a bit. You can remote play with the pc, same concept as the ps3 except for the PC. That is how that one coder was able to play L4D on his vita as well as I have seen people play ps2 games on their psv.
Would that mean that it is also possible to remotely play MW3 for the PC on my vita? Because not being able to use remote play, because I don't have a PS3, has been a let down for me, but this might fix my problem.

Lethal

Retired Moderator
Could you list some of the 'amazing features' that could be added to the PSP when running CFW? Although my PSP has CFW itself and even though I have looked into that quite a few times I never found something that amazing. Most things I found where just gimmicks and didn't really add anything usefull, but I might just have missed out on something.
You can change pretty much anything you want. Boot screen, game start screen, sounds, entire interface of the PSP. iR Shell for the PSP was absolutely amazing. You should check that out.

aBakedPie

You can change pretty much anything you want. Boot screen, game start screen, sounds, entire interface of the PSP. iR Shell for the PSP was absolutely amazing. You should check that out.
Thanks for the answer, I will look a bit more into these things than.

Ace

Well, lets hope there will come some major breakthroughs in CFW for the vita soon. Being able to customize your interface is one of the thing I am looking for, because the standard interface on the vita is just terrible :p.

Would that mean that it is also possible to remotely play MW3 for the PC on my vita? Because not being able to use remote play, because I don't have a PS3, has been a let down for me, but this might fix my problem.
I truly hope the vita doesn't come out with a custom firmware to be honest, yes it is cool to customize your system but this will lead to pirating and ripping games, which leads to devs not wanting to make games knowingt hey would lose money, leading to no games being made to the vita. I have been coding on the psp for 5 years and I have had a hacked psp for years but I refuse to pirate games. It ruins the system.

logical

I wonder if the Vita will last as long as the PS3 did in terms of getting cracked to run CFW. As A410c said, its probably best right now that it doesnt get cracked because devs are already not even making games for the system. Having it cracked will definitely lower the enthusiasm and drive for making games on the vita.

MadMike

I'm all for CFW. I used my PSP primarily as a portable emulator for older consoles and handhelds and would love to have that option on my Vita as well. I think more than anything else, as far as hacking goes at least, I would love to see fluid emulation of the N64 on the Vita. It came close on the PSP, but it never really had the power to make the games run consistently smooth with sound.

Also, the homebrew games. Some of them were really fun and much better than a lot of the utter shit we got on the PSP for $40.

aBakedPie

I agree with logical and A410C above me, because piracy would definitely be a really bad development for the vita and would make the situation only worse. There are already coming out way to little games.

Lethal

Retired Moderator
It hasn't affected the 360 or PS3 in any way. Not worried about it. And all new consoles have a slow first year.

Codey47

I truly hope the vita doesn't come out with a custom firmware to be honest, yes it is cool to customize your system but this will lead to pirating and ripping games, which leads to devs not wanting to make games knowing they would lose money, leading to no games being made to the vita. I have been coding on the psp for 5 years and I have had a hacked psp for years but I refuse to pirate games. It ruins the system.
Piracy..It's what killed the PSP. I won't hack my PS3, PSP or Vita. Not because I'm squeeky clean. Because I've got far too much money invested in PSN.

However, Sony have done the right thing this time. Media Go was a handy little tool for the PSP letting you download the games directly to your PC... but once the game is on your PC it's open to be reverse engineered left, right and centre.

Yes, the new content manager is a massive inconvenience but I completely understand why Sony have took this draconian measure.

Codey47

Ya because it was not the terrible mini disc and lack of a 2nd analog stick that killed the PSP.......
Not at all.... it was a great hand held when first released and still continues to thrive to this day.

I meant as in publisher/developer support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements