• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Soul Sacrifice

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

teflontactics

2013-02-27-081656.jpg

It may not be out yet in North America, or Europe but Soul Sacrifice has already made its way to Japan in a big way... with just the demo. Coming to Japan gamers on March 7th (almost two months before us), this game is packed with innovation and awesome game play; from how your choices effect your body and powers, to the magic system it uses for combat. In what other game can you free an opponent, hit them with a giant rock hand, and then consume their soul? None I know of.

The premise is simple - you play as slave that serves a powerful and evil sorcerer. Just before the you are going to be sacrificed, a demon in the form of a book appears before you. The book is a collection of stories that describe past fights between monsters and the sorcerer who holds you captive; by using it you're able to enter the book's world and experience the fights, thereby gaining experience and power.

I was skeptical but hopeful about this game before I tried it; but now I know I'll be a day one buyer.

-

Screens all taken personally, within the demo.

Character Customization.
2013-02-27-085049.jpg

2013-02-27-085057.jpg

2013-02-27-085106.jpg

2013-02-27-085012.jpg

2013-02-27-085118.jpg

2013-02-27-085127.jpg

2013-02-27-085131.jpg

2013-02-27-085235.jpg

Scenery and Cutscenes
2013-02-27-085628.jpg

2013-02-27-085621.jpg

2013-02-27-085616.jpg

Character and Abilities
2013-02-27-085829.jpg

2013-02-27-085637.jpg

2013-02-27-084034.jpg

2013-02-27-083918.jpg

2013-02-27-083811.jpg

2013-02-27-083430.jpg

2013-02-27-083438.jpg

2013-02-27-083320.jpg

-

Frequently Asked Questions;
Q - Is this game open world?
A - No. It's large arenas you fight in and explore.

Q - Is there a pre-order bonus?
A - Yes, you get a bonus 2-costume pack, three exclusive spells and the original Japanese voice-over.

Q - What's this about a bonus for playing the demo?
A - If you play the demo and get the full game (still keeping your demo data) you will unlock Spirit's Heart - an exclusive spell.

Q - Can spells/offerings be leveled up higher than 3-star?
A - Yes, in the full version leveling higher than 3-star is available and boosts the attack power of that spell/offering. This is not a 4-star rating, but a new "level" of sorts, you have to boost.

Q - Are trophies retroactive?
A - Yes, when you alter the data the trophy looks for, it pops. (ie; if you have over 100 souls, you'd need to get one soul for the game to recognize it)

Q - Does everything carry over? (Spells, sigils, etc?)
A - Yes. (y) However allies do not (minor infraction, IMO)

Q - Does this game have an online pass?
A - Yes.

Q - Where is the online mode?
A - After you complete The Sorcerer's Ordeal - Chapter 6, it'll unlock. It's called "Network".

Also see: Soul Sacrifice game-play tactics

-

If you've got any questions/comments about the demo (or game in general) post it below and I'll add it to the main post if needed.

-

Past Soul Sacrifice Threads of Note:

Blue Flare

Totally getting this! Not gonna have it on Day 1 because I'm getting free shipping from Amazon (I'm too much of a cheapskate to do fater shipping that's like $12 more).

Can't wait to play co op with you guys!

Capt.Fodder

Does this game have any kind of inventory system, like Monster Hunter does? I feel that the inventory thing in MH gets overlooked as a crucial part of the fun - figuring out what to bring is almost a metagame in itself. Or giving your forgetful comrades items that they forgot.

teflontactics

Does this game have any kind of inventory system, like Monster Hunter does? I feel that the inventory thing in MH gets overlooked as a crucial part of the fun - figuring out what to bring is almost a metagame in itself. Or giving your forgetful comrades items that they forgot.

I didn't see any collectibles in the way of items, so I'm going to say no; unless it just wasn't available in the demo. The enemies dropped "souls" that you either saved, or sacrificed. I didn't see any swords, or potions, or magic, etc. It's all EXP and choice-based upgrades.

Capt.Fodder

I didn't see any collectibles in the way of items, so I'm going to say no; unless it just wasn't available in the demo. The enemies dropped "souls" that you either saved, or sacrificed. I didn't see any swords, or potions, or magic, etc. It's all EXP and choice-based upgrades.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll just have to continue to forget whetstones in some other game (heh heh).

CUD

How does the saving or sacrificing of souls affect your character? There seems to be good and evil XP that you gain but does this just grant your character access to new abilities or something like that?

teflontactics

While I was playing the demo I leveled up in the one area, and gained a stronger ability; so yes, I would say they grant new abilities.

H-DOG-2

Saving ur enemies makes health go up
Killing enemies makes ur attacks stronger
They both effect ur appearance

teflontactics

No, I think that's a soft blur layer that comes from screenshots. If you look, it puts an SCE Inc. overlay in the bottom right hand corner too.

I play games at 0 brightness, and it looked way better that that does on my PC. A lot of the screenies I couldn't even use because of that "effect" overlay. There's a part where you can charge a freeze-blast, and you see a transparent orb and then a glow at your hands; it came out as a lens glare on my PC - unviewable.

Ace

I have a question; is it worth getting? I am truly on the fence. With DOA5 coming out soon, the last thing I want to do is to waste 40 dollars on a game I won't play.

teflontactics

Like I said, it's a day once purchase for me now - and I was on the fence. If you're not sure though, you should obviously try it before you buy it. There'll probably be an English demo closer to English release dates.

Combo_Knight

For reference.

For more Soul Sacrifice gameplay, and (Knowing Epic Name Bro probably some lore.)

Check out his channel here. When it finally takes off you won't regret it.

kerbik

Hello guys! Here you can find few more details to this great game :)

What I find from Demo:
When you will spare peoples after you defeat their demons ... they will be added to your "collection of companions" and you will be able to take them with you on your mission!

Trophy list:
http://translate.google.com/transla...ase.com/game/soul-sacrifice-ps-vita/trophies/

I'm going to buy this great game on day 1 (unfortunatelly in Europe it will be on 1st of May) Anyway I'll be happy to play with you online! :)

MadMike

No, I think that's a soft blur layer that comes from screenshots. If you look, it puts an SCE Inc. overlay in the bottom right hand corner too.

I play games at 0 brightness, and it looked way better that that does on my PC. A lot of the screenies I couldn't even use because of that "effect" overlay. There's a part where you can charge a freeze-blast, and you see a transparent orb and then a glow at your hands; it came out as a lens glare on my PC - unviewable.

That's good to know. It seemed a shame to have such washed out visuals on such a dark and gloomy game. I wish Sony didn't make it so complicated to download things from another region's store so I could snag the demo.

teflontactics

I agree. It does look much better in person, and I wish there was a way to better represent that.

It does suck that the Vita settings aren't savable and accounts aren't more open. It would be another simple thing they could add to make more money, just with a firmware update.

Blue Flare

For what it is worth....37/40 from Famitsu
Famitsu overates a lot of games. I've seen even bad games get at least a 36/40 from them. I even think Mario Tennis Open even got a 40/40. In my book that game is a 6/10.

If you really want an honest opinion, you shouldn't go to Famitsu.

Not saying this game is going to be bad, It looks awesome and is a sure buy for me. I just hate Famitsu.

BeMore

Famitsu overates a lot of games. I've seen even bad games get at least a 36/40 from them. I even think Mario Tennis Open even got a 40/40. In my book that game is a 6/10.

If you really want an honest opinion, you shouldn't go to Famitsu.

Not saying this game is going to be bad, It looks awesome and is a sure buy for me. I just hate Famitsu.

No doubt about it, but I do think they are slightly worse with Nintendo than Sony in terms of overrating.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements