• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Some Microsoft News We Can All Get Behind

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty
Unless you are a heartless person. In which case I hear a glass of bleach goes good with dinner. Have a glass tonight and tell me how it went in the morning.

Basically, Microsoft is donating $10,000 to animal preservation charities for challenges met in Zoo Tycoon. This is an awesome thing in my book. Alpha also brings up a point on how game developers can get people on board with bullshit DLC. Basically donate a portion of the precedes from all DLC to various charities to help make the world a better place. The game devs get their cash, we dont feel that self loathing we get after buying DLC, and various people and animals around the world get the help they need.

Golf claps for Microsoft, and I too, much like Alpha, would love to see other massive companies, even non gaming related, get behind this idea.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Basically, Microsoft is donating $10,000 to animal preservation charities for challenges met in Zoo Tycoon. This is an awesome thing in my book. Alpha also brings up a point on how game developers can get people on board with bullshit DLC. Basically donate a portion of the precedes from all DLC to various charities to help make the world a better place. The game devs get their cash, we dont feel that self loathing we get after buying DLC, and various people and animals around the world get the help they need.
I'm all for making the world a better place, and having more healthy animals (I have a beautiful puppy), but in reality, game companies can't really donate proceeds like this. Unless that company is profitable, and can withstand losing $10,000 to donate to a charity such as this... It's just not feasible. The reason why DLC's are made is to "pay themselves back" for development of their game(s), now I'm not talking about Capcom kind of company here. I'm talking about those small companies that have just launched their latest title to popularity but in the financial books there are some losses.

Let me put it in another way. WWE has been spending a lot of money into charities lately, like, every monday there's an obligatory "don't be a bully" commercial, or Susan's Breast Cancer donation - hell, they allotted 5-10 minutes air time (at the actual WWE event) to talk about WWE's donation to Susan's organization. Why? Because WWE is more than profitable right now, so profitable that they're able to fit 3 hours of wrestling and make room for charity air time. All this loss doesn't mean shit to WWE, so they just spent a lot of money into charities/gave them 5 minutes to bring attention to their charity.

Samalan

I'm all for making the world a better place, and having more healthy animals (I have a beautiful puppy), but in reality, game companies can't really donate proceeds like this. Unless that company is profitable, and can withstand losing $10,000 to donate to a charity such as this... It's just not feasible. The reason why DLC's are made is to "pay themselves back" for development of their game(s), now I'm not talking about Capcom kind of company here. I'm talking about those small companies that have just launched their latest title to popularity but in the financial books there are some losses.

Let me put it in another way. WWE has been spending a lot of money into charities lately, like, every monday there's an obligatory "don't be a bully" commercial, or Susan's Breast Cancer donation - hell, they allotted 5-10 minutes air time (at the actual WWE event) to talk about WWE's donation to Susan's organization. Why? Because WWE is more than profitable right now, so profitable that they're able to fit 3 hours of wrestling and make room for charity air time. All this loss doesn't mean shit to WWE, so they just spent a lot of money into charities/gave them 5 minutes to bring attention to their charity.

You can't forget about the Make a Wish contributions they do all the time, especially with Cena. I agree with you, smaller companies aren't going to be able to fork out $10k unless they have a super awesome top selling game but as a percentage, even if it is 5% of each sale, it will still help a hell of a lot for both parties.

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty
I didnt mean that ever company needs to donate $10,000. Just something like if you buy terraria on PSN, for $14.99 $1 of every game sold goes to insert charity here. If you pay $20 for this COD map pack, $2 of every map pack sold goes to war veterans. If you preorder BF5, $5 of every $60 game goes to a charity.

There doesnt have to be a set $ amount for anything, just a way that gamers and game developers can give back by doing things that most of us do anyway. Plus it'd stop game developers from looking like greedy c*nts, which has been their image for a few years now.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I didnt mean that ever company needs to donate $10,000. Just something like if you buy terraria on PSN, for $14.99 $1 of every game sold goes to insert charity here. If you pay $20 for this COD map pack, $2 of every map pack sold goes to war veterans. If you preorder BF5, $5 of every $60 game goes to a charity.
I know that, but when you do financial books - the costs of donating each of those $1 or $2 adds up to $xx,000 or $xxx,000, etc. For you to donate to a charity as a company, your company needs to be profitable - like "this loss is nothing" kind of profitable - which is my point in my last post.
There doesnt have to be a set $ amount for anything, just a way that gamers and game developers can give back by doing things that most of us do anyway. Plus it'd stop game developers from looking like greedy c*nts, which has been their image for a few years now.
Like I said, it depends on how profitable a company is. For example, Activision, YES, Activision - the same "greedy" company you were talking about there. Activision donated part of their CODXP profits to "Call of Duty Endowment" a charity created by Activision for the sole purpose of getting military personnel jobs here in united states.

The only "greedy c*nts" in the industry right now are both EA and Capcom (ahem, Crapcom), and maybe the occasional UbiSoft, or other heavy DLC creators.

CUD

I've seen other games have the incentive of players reaching a collective goal to unlock new in-game features but this isn't one you hear of too often. It's definitely good to see larger gaming companies helping out charities also. It wont be something all companies are willing to do as while it would improve their reputation it will decrease profits and that's something a lot of businesses aren't willing to do.

The way in which indie devs have been supporting charities that comes to mind are the Humble Bundles that they've been offering for years now. It's definitely harder for smaller companies to afford to make large donations to charities from their profits but the Humble Bundles allow buyers to choose how much they want to pay to the developers (or the funding of the site itself) or donate to charity, while I'm not sure how much it has actually raised for charity I'd assume over the years it would be quite a large amount considering how many sales they get.

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty
Funny how indie developers of games I've never heard of are doing more for charity than devs like Mojang, EA, Ubisoft, Dice, Capcom (at this point I probably make more than an employee so understandable) Infinity Ward, Tre Arch and publishers like Activision, EA, Rockstar and Nintendo of America with the supposed hundreds of billions they are sitting on.

lights

Funny how indie developers of games I've never heard of are doing more for charity than devs like Mojang, EA, Ubisoft, Dice, Capcom (at this point I probably make more than an employee so understandable) Infinity Ward, Tre Arch and publishers like Activision, EA, Rockstar and Nintendo of America with the supposed hundreds of billions they are sitting on.

I have to defend Activision here. They regularly donate millions of dollars to the Call of Duty Endowment charity which helps soldiers/veterans find jobs when they come back with training and placements.

November 2009 - They donated $1 million

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/09/activision-establishing-call-of-duty-endowment-donating-1-mi

November 2010 - They donated $1 million

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/11/...nates-1-million-to-the-call-of-duty-endowment

November 2011 - They donated $3 million

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-donates-3-million-to-veterans-charity/1100-6345178/

April 2013 - They donated $2 million, plus an additional $1.7 million raised from selling dog tags for a $3.7 million total

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ac...n-to-call-of-duty-veterans-fund/1100-6406584/

Can't hate on them for that.

akhi216

I ain't sign up for that
I have to defend Activision here. They regularly donate millions of dollars to the Call of Duty Endowment charity which helps soldiers/veterans find jobs when they come back with training and placements.

November 2009 - They donated $1 million

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/09/activision-establishing-call-of-duty-endowment-donating-1-mi

November 2010 - They donated $1 million

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/11/...nates-1-million-to-the-call-of-duty-endowment

November 2011 - They donated $3 million

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-donates-3-million-to-veterans-charity/1100-6345178/

April 2013 - They donated $2 million, plus an additional $1.7 million raised from selling dog tags for a $3.7 million total

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ac...n-to-call-of-duty-veterans-fund/1100-6406584/

Can't hate on them for that.
While what Microsoft is doing is undoubtedly good I would like to see more game companies do things like this to help people.