• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Pokémon X and Y [3DS]

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

MadMike

4iik.png

Release date: October 12, 2013​
Platform: Nintendo 3DS​
Developer: Game Freak​
Publisher: Nintendo, The Pokémon Company​
Pokémon X and Y versions are the sixth generation of the Pokémon franchise, and the first main-series games to be released on the Nintendo 3DS. X and Y are also the first Pokémon games to be released simultaneously around the world, with the following seven languages supported natively on every copy: English, Japanese, German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Korean. The games sport the classic isometric view, but with full 3D models and glasses-free 3D in battles.​
The New Region - Kalos

kalos_region_map_thumb.jpg

Pokémon X and Y take place in the all-new Kalos region: a star-shaped region filled with beautiful skies, huge cities, arid deserts, and lush forests​

New Features:
The Starters:

Chespin - The Grass-type Pokémon Chespin has a tough shell covering its head and back. Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details.

Chespin-Marisson-Igamaro2.jpg

Fennekin - Searing heat blows from the ears of the Fire-type Pokémon Fennekin. This Pokémon loves to snack on twigs. Fennekin can be temperamental, but it tries to do its best for its Trainer.​

Fennekin-Feunnec-Fynx1.jpg

Froakie - The Water-type Pokémon Froakie is both light and strong, making it capable of jumping incredibly high. The bubbles on its chest and back protect it from attacks. Froakie may appear absentminded, but in truth it pays close attention to its surroundings at all times.

Froakie-Grenousse-Froxy2.jpg

The Legendaries:

Xerneas - Xernea's ability is Fairy Aura, which strengthens Fairy-type moves for all Pokémon in battle, including your opponent's Pokémon!

july_p01_02.jpg

Yveltal - With Yveltal's Dark Aura ability, the power of Dark-type moves increases for all Pokémon in play.

july_p02_02.jpg

Unofficial Resources:

Lazerith

I am getting Y version. I am also starting with Froakie. Originally, I was going to start with Fennekin, as it is my favorite stage 1 starter. But after seeing the leaked final evolutions, assuming they are real for now, Chespin's and Fennekin's both look horrible, and Froakie's looks amazing.

I am really debating on if I want my team to be restricted to gen 6 Pokemon so I can get to know the new Pokemon better, or if I want it to be a combination, since some of my favorite old pokemon will be available in Kalos...

Grover

It will depend on the final evolution, but I'm currently going for the water type, while I usually go with fire as my first choice. This time, I think Braixen looks stupid and I want something different.

I will get them all anyway (Pokemon Bank!).

I will be getting Pokemon Y, out of the two. I prefer Yveltal and the Y exclusive version of Mega Charizard.

Day 1!

Lazerith

Those look very fake, which is reinforced by the fact that they're not on Serebii yet.

Serebii has stated that they cannot post anything about leaks and anything not already officially revealed by nintendo or else their website could be shut down. It doesn't mean they are fake, it just means that they aren't confirmed. But with how many different pictures of them there are, they are starting to seem a bit more likely.

Caleb

So, I don't have a 3DS, and I haven't played a Pokemon game in a LONG time. With this, and the other games coming out, I am considering buying a 2DS and getting one of these. Have no idea which one to get.

SpeechlessWolf

Made a quick OT so those of us getting the game have a dedicated place to discuss the game and share friend codes. It's pretty basic, so if there's anything you think I should add, send me a PM.

BTW, my FC is 4570-7227-2360. If you add me, let me know so I can add you back.

I added you, my Fc: 2380-3580-5274

3VOLVE

I <3 Innuendos.
No idea, they all look horrible compared to any other gen so personally I'm not into the Starters.

Yanikun

Those look very fake, which is reinforced by the fact that they're not on Serebii yet.

They're real. They come from a guy in Canada who was able to get the game early and stupidly posted that stuff on his Instagram. Then Nintendo flew out a representative to the local game store he got it from and he said heads were rolling at Nintendo. He gave the game back to try and keep the store out of trouble and not cause his friend to lose his job.

Grover

They're real. They come from a guy in Canada who was able to get the game early and stupidly posted that stuff on his Instagram. Then Nintendo flew out a representative to the local game store he got it from and he said heads were rolling at Nintendo. He gave the game back to try and keep the store out of trouble and not cause his friend to lose his job.

Yes, I read that. Didn't realize Serebii never posts leaks.

That Chesnaught has a terrible colour scheme. Too bland.

Disappointed that the typing of the starters is
fire/psychic, water/dark, grass/fighting instead of fire/psychic, grass/dark, water/fighting

Yanikun

We have a winner.

Polygon - 9.5
Everything about Pokemon X and Y instills a feeling of adventure that extends far, far beyond its campaign. It lets you take ownership of so much — from your wardrobe to your meticulously groomed team — and then lets you take that identity onto a global stage.

Pokemon X and Y made me feel like I was back on the middle school playground, vying for real-life superiority in battle and communing in trade. I didn't think games could still make me feel that way — but I'm so glad to be proven wrong.

Joystiq - 4.5/5
By combining refinements like these with classic gameplay, a revamped aesthetic and plenty of new gameplay options, Nintendo has created a Pokémon sequel that will not only be adored by Pokémaniacs, but should also draw new players to the series. With less of a learning curve and a wealth of new content to discover, Pokémon X/Y both builds on its pedigree and redefines what players should expect from the franchise. Most importantly, the game seems to have been designed with usability in mind, while also maintaining the endless reams of Pokémon trivia and esoteric references that longtime fans demand.

Whether you've wrangled dozens of Charmanders or couldn't pick a Pikachu out of a Safari Zone lineup, Pokémon X/Y is hands-down the best in the series.

Eurogamer - 9
Nevertheless, Pokémon X & Y is the finest expression of Satoshi Tajiri's obsessive vision yet. The transition to 3D is smooth and natural and the multitudinous additions to the proven formula will excite even the most jaded Pokémon fanatic. Meanwhile, the kernel of Pokémon's appeal - filling every blank in that collection, catching 'em all - remains resolutely undiminished after all this time. For the young, the game is a soothing promise that, if you work hard, concentrate and look after others, victory and success will be yours. For the young at heart it's a warm reminder of the childlike thrills of discovery, compilation and care.

CVG - 9
Ardent fans have been professing for years that Pokémon actually changes. For once, you don't have to be an ardent fan yourself to see it. X & Y's general structure remains almost identical to its forbears, but the rest of it - the detailed 3D visuals, touchscreen minigames, Mega Evolutions, new elemental type and, of course, the new Pokémon themselves - has resulted in more innovation than the last three games combined. It's bigger, more complex, and truly makes its hardware work.

IGN - 9
Game Freak has really outdone itself this time, and Pokemon X and Y will be remembered as great transition point for the series’ transformation into an even more social, beautiful, and strategic game. Building on five generations of games, a digital menagerie of captivating creatures, and a wide range of diverse regions to explore, Pokemon X and Y proves this formulaic portable role-playing series can still deliver an innovative experience.

NOWGamer - 9
Pokémon X and Y look the part on 3DS, take more fundamental risks than any core game in the series to date and attempt to open the competitive field to more entrants than ever before – that's three huge pluses (Plusles?) right there.

It pretty much ticks (Joltiks?) every box for existing fans and creates a great entry point for newcomers and returning trainers alike, making it an easy recommendation and one of the best games on 3DS.

Yanikun

Nintendo Life - 9
Once again, Game Freak hits the nail squarely on the head, making Pokémon X and Y an excellent new addition to the series' expansive library. Thanks to the simultaneous multi-region release date more players than ever before will be able to experience first-hand that indescribable sensation of unearthing brand new Pokémon that have nimbly avoided the dreaded internet leaks.

A wonderful blend of excitement and nostalgia, Pokémon X and Y evolves the core series with its impressive polygonal 3D environments and magical camera angle mastery, adding a few technical adjustments along with a brand new Pokémon type to the original formula that we all know and love. It's not quite a revolution — and is hindered slightly by the meagre use of its host platform's glasses-free 3D capabilities — Pokémon X and Y is sure to steal the hearts of Pokémon fans new and old alike.

Game Informer - 8.75
Pokémon X & Y does not break the mold of what we expect when we play a Pokémon game. It goes down the check list of important Pokémon features, neatly ticking them off one by one. It still feels like a Pokémon game, but the ease of player control, the updated art direction, 3D graphics, and the scaling of the world make everything more inviting, attractive, and fun. It’s a great stepping-on point for new trainers, and a worthwhile continuing adventure for those who know what to expect.

EDGE - 8
Those qualities never really went away, of course, although some of the series’ original magic had been lost across so many iterative updates. And while the disappointment of the lacklustre 3D implementation here never entirely fades, the thrill of the new is undeniably back. Make no mistake: this is a pair of games that will lead to formative moments in young lives, moments of the kind that will inspire a lifelong passion for the medium. In the games’ improved communication features, too, X and Y are truer to their narrative’s ethos: the joy of sharing moments of beauty and surprise with others. It’s a delightful message to send to a new generation of players, many of whom are just starting out on their own gaming journey. There can be few better places to do so.

Nintendo World Report - 8
Pokémon X and Y is an odd pair of games to quantify because, on one hand, they are still solid entries in an incredible JRPG series and they offer some select new features that go above and beyond to make this feel like a brand new generation. On the other hand, inconsistent presentation, insubstantial core innovation, a low Pokémon count, and a minimal post-game keep them from achieving the total nirvana that this series has always been capable of.

GamesRadar - 4/5
Even with all of these renovations, innovations, and--yes, we're going to just go ahead and say it--evolutions, Pokémon X and Y still feel like a Pokémon game in the end. Sure, you're going to spend some of the time petting your Pikachu and you get to choose multiple starters, but X and Y eventually land in the comfort zone fans have found themselves in for six generations. Though they don't reinvent the core concept of the franchise, they do a fantastic job of cleaning up the aging mechanics and creating a Pokémon world you'd be crazy not to explore.

Caleb

I really need to find a way to come up with the cash to get these. I think I like X better, I haven't played a Pokemon game in a long time. I also need a 3DS or the 2DS... which to buy...

Grover

I really need to find a way to come up with the cash to get these. I think I like X better, I haven't played a Pokemon game in a long time. I also need a 3DS or the 2DS... which to buy...

Well, for this game it isn't necessary to have 3D because the overworld is 2D and the battles are in 3D (though they have lag when you use it).

But I'd recommend buying a 3DS (XL) and also games like Fire Emblem and Resident Evil, which are must haves in my opinion. Not to mention the upcoming Ace Attorney.

Caleb

Well, for this game it isn't necessary to have 3D because the overworld is 2D and the battles are in 3D (though they have lag when you use it).

But I'd recommend buying a 3DS (XL) and also games like Fire Emblem and Resident Evil, which are must haves in my opinion. Not to mention the upcoming Ace Attorney.
Yeah, I'm looking to get a 3DS XL. Just don't want to pay full price. Checking out Craigslist. I have played Fire Emblem ( I had a 3DS regular a few months ago but had to sell it).

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements