• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Pixelmon mod developers stopped supporting the mod

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Recently I remember playing on a pixelmon server back then and it was fun, despite my lag issues. I had fun encountering wild pokemon and keeping some in my house. I thought that I should try installing the mod again and see how much has changed. I did not expect the official developers to have stopped the development of the game. It made me feel sad because there still are communities playing the mod and are having fun doing so. They even removed the download links and files from their official websites. Luckily, I was able to download the mod from a person that reuploaded the file. I still feel sad about this though. Anyone else here who knows about Pixelmon?

Soulwatcher

Recently I remember playing on a pixelmon server back then and it was fun, despite my lag issues. I had fun encountering wild pokemon and keeping some in my house. I thought that I should try installing the mod again and see how much has changed. I did not expect the official developers to have stopped the development of the game. It made me feel sad because there still are communities playing the mod and are having fun doing so. They even removed the download links and files from their official websites. Luckily, I was able to download the mod from a person that reuploaded the file. I still feel sad about this though. Anyone else here who knows about Pixelmon?
I never heard of it but I know a lot of mods lose support after the developer(s) lose interest in the game. That's one of the reasons why I stick to vanilla Minecraft. (Windows 10/PE) I never have to worry about a mod breaking the server or have to worry about mods not being supported anymore. And the bad thing about the mods not being developed anymore is because like you said some communities depend on mods and it can cause a community uproar when you remove the mod.

JaiGuru

It's a long shot but you could try poking around the dev section of craftbukkit's website. You may be able to find someone to to work on a fork of the mod to keep it relevant. But yes, Soulwatcher said it first; mods which aren't in the top 10 are best considered temporary experiences. You can run a separate profile that is set to the last version the game supported though, so it's not really gone. Just stuck.

SpellBound

Yeah they got sued by the real pokemon company. It's so sad. I used to play there too. It was a lot of fun and excitement. Too bad they had to quit it. Although I heard some of my friends talking about an alternative private server with the same concept as pixelmon, I couldn't find it anywhere. Hope someday someone somewhere will make us all happy by creating a new one :D

JaiGuru

Yeah they got sued by the real pokemon company. It's so sad. I used to play there too. It was a lot of fun and excitement. Too bad they had to quit it. Although I heard some of my friends talking about an alternative private server with the same concept as pixelmon, I couldn't find it anywhere. Hope someday someone somewhere will make us all happy by creating a new one :D

Oh that's a shame. I understand trademarks must be proactively defended to remain valid but I never saw the point in shutting down what amounts to free advertisement. If it's the battle system you like the most you could probably just change the names and sprites in the mod to bypass any legal problem.

Kira1

Oh that's a shame. I understand trademarks must be proactively defended to remain valid but I never saw the point in shutting down what amounts to free advertisement. If it's the battle system you like the most you could probably just change the names and sprites in the mod to bypass any legal problem.
This is true and a logical solution. This method has been keeping up a lot of games and it's mods specially when it's about legality or copyright problems. I've seen a lot of games who has mods or servers but still get away with it.

Same happened to League of Legends and mobile game something but I guess that's another story. I wonder what happened to that case and who won.

Maxine91

I reckon the pokemon company shut it down because they have a Pokemon game in the works for the switch which could potentially be similar and they maybe want and competition gone

Tania997

I never heard about this mod but I know there are a lot of famous mods and modders for minecraft. Using them and having support cut off is kind of like playing a game when the developers stop supporting it, it just doesn't make sense. I usually won't use them because once the support is done, you can pretty much say goodbye to everything you did with that. Especially in cases like this, when it's not about the developer losing interest but a company who sued him.

overcast

Lot of mods stop working since last year. And that's because the developers didn't get any financial compensation. So they fade away from the active development. Some of the time such things happen. And not much can be done about it. You can see that in future people have to pay for the mods and the other stuff. Otherwise it'd be harder to sustain in this industry. That's for sure. I personally think paid mods need to be encouraged more for developers to stay on developing.

Soulwatcher

Lot of mods stop working since last year. And that's because the developers didn't get any financial compensation. So they fade away from the active development. Some of the time such things happen. And not much can be done about it. You can see that in future people have to pay for the mods and the other stuff. Otherwise it'd be harder to sustain in this industry. That's for sure. I personally think paid mods need to be encouraged more for developers to stay on developing.
I don't think paid mods are going to go over too well, Steam tried it and it lasted for 3 days before people started to riot on the forums. After that, they were quickly made free again to keep people happy.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements