• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita NPD Sales Results for March: Vita sells 10k

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

lights

Apparently the Vita only sold 5k more than the PSP and was outsold by the original Wii. I heard stores are emptying stock of the OLED model, but it's still a pretty tragic number.

Hardware:

PS4: Best selling platform.
Xbox One: 311K
3DS: 159K(-30.9%)
Xbox 360: 111K
Wii U: 70K(+4.5%)
Wii: 28K
Vita: 10K(-69.7%)
PSP: 5K

Software:

vjumf7S.jpg

Notes:
-Xbox One attach rate: 2.9
-Xbox One software: 1.4 million
-Xbox 360 software: 2.7 million
-Titanfall was the top-selling game for the month, launching for Xbox One and PC on March 11. It is the second-highest selling game for Xbox One after just one month on the market.
-Metal Gear: 278K (204K on PS4/XB1)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803922

matrixxGT

Hard to sell something when no one has them in stock. Just went to 3 more stores today and no luck finding a vita. Yes I know I can go online but I prefer to buy certain things from brick and mortar.

H8ter2

This is very true, I had a Vita when it first came out then got rid of it, recently picked one up again but had to order it online as the 3 gamestops, 2 walmarts and other stores had none in stock, and seemed like no plans to get any either.

Glad I was able to order online but it blew my mind that at least gamestop didn't have even 1 in stock

lights

This is very true, I had a Vita when it first came out then got rid of it, recently picked one up again but had to order it online as the 3 gamestops, 2 walmarts and other stores had none in stock, and seemed like no plans to get any either.

Glad I was able to order online but it blew my mind that at least gamestop didn't have even 1 in stock

I guess it's a simple business decision, if not many people are buying a product there's little reason to stock it. It's an issue I see with both the Vita and the Wii U in a lot of shops that I've been to, along with the increasingly limited shelf space.

H8ter2

I guess it's a simple business decision, if not many people are buying a product there's little reason to stock it. It's an issue I see with both the Vita and the Wii U in a lot of shops that I've been to, along with the increasingly limited shelf space.

Yea true, shelf space is limited in these shops.

I think Sony has really dropped the ball on marketing and supporting the Vita. At least they could do is port older PS3 games to the system with cross saves and people could essentially continue their games while away.

matrixxGT

Its not like there isn't a little demand for it. Hell it sold worse some months in its first year. The simple business decision is to release a newer model that's cheaper to produce and take less of a loss. Nothing really surprising here. Gamestops don't even have used models so its not like their just not carrying it anymore. Managers of gamestops in my area have said they were ordering more but sony wasn't sending them. However they are pushing preorders for the BL2 bundle with LCD model. Vita isn't going anywhere no matter how much people wish it were true.

lights

Its not like there isn't a little demand for it. Hell it sold worse some months in its first year.

At what point did the Vita sell less than 10k a month in it's first year?

I had a quick look on Gaf and here are some of the NPD results for 2012:

PS Vita NPD 2012

Feburary - 225k

May - >50k

July - <50k

August - <40k

September - 55k

October - <44k

November - 210k-225k

December - 200k

matrixxGT

Ok I was wrong. Point is they would have sold more if sony shipped more. This means nothing. Remember december when xb1 outsold ps4? Why? Availability. Not comparing apples to oranges here but people are acting like vita is dead and discontinued over march npd. :confused:

Yanikun

Not comparing apples to oranges here but people are acting like vita is dead and discontinued over march npd. :confused:

Sony and/or the retailers are okay with not having the Vita on the shelves for two whole months. Make of that what you will.

akhi216

I ain't sign up for that
Ok I was wrong. Point is they would have sold more if sony shipped more. This means nothing. Remember december when xb1 outsold ps4? Why? Availability. Not comparing apples to oranges here but people are acting like vita is dead and discontinued over march npd. :confused:
This? I mean it isn't like Sony isn't getting ready to release the Vita Slim.

Theswweet

April is only going to look worse; the huge drop off was due to lack of units, and the new 2000 isn't due until may.

I imagine that we will see a decent bump once the 2000 hits... but I can't help but feel sony has shot themselves in the foot with this strategy. They better be planning other vita bundles as well for the long-run.

VITA_Lover

The PSV-1000 went out of production in Jan 2014. All the Gamestops in my area are pushing the new Borderlands 2 PSV-2000 bundle - which I admit is an excellent bargain.

You get a great game which was a best seller on the PS3 and an 8 Gb memory card. Not a bad deal.

You can easily find used ones in my area if you do a search.

Gamewise, I can't keep up. More great games coming out that I have the time to play.

Theswweet

I think that the game sales is something that people really should be looking at; the vita is getting tons of niche titles that end up selling well enough to justify continued support for the system. Sony gets a lot of that money; even more when the games are bought digital.

The system is fine; I don't see sony dropping the platform, when in all honesty the newer vita's are cheap as hell to make, I'm sure.

Murphy

Sony and/or the retailers are okay with not having the Vita on the shelves for two whole months. Make of that what you will.
I reckon that having the 2000 launching on May 6th has an awful lot to do with it not being on shelves.

Feral Gara (PlayStation UK Boss) said this ahead on the UK 2000 launch.

It's also worth noting that these figures for NPD are NA only and are not representative of the whole world, before everyone starts panicking or doom-mongering. As some of you love to do.

VITA_Lover

My source is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Vita

"As of January 2014, the PCH-1000 series is no longer being manufactured."

The stores in my area have boxes and posters up for the PSV-2000 and are encouraging people to buy it. They say it's a great deal.

FYI:

I have both a 3DS and a VITA - lots of concerns on both systems.

People complain that the 3DS future lineup of games is terrible and that whole genres well represented on the Nintendo DS are absent on the 3DS.

The VITA has some big sellers right now (FF X & X-2, Toukiden) and more on the way (Borderlands 2, Walking Dead Season 2).

Most of the future 3DS games don't look half as good.

lights

It's also worth noting that these figures for NPD are NA only and are not representative of the whole world, before everyone starts panicking or doom-mongering. As some of you love to do.

10k across the whole of North America for a month is not a concerning figure to you? It's most likely the lowest point PS Vita sales have ever reached.

It's also impossible to deny the Vita has not been doing especially well, even to Sony's expectations:

Kaz Hirai, January 2013:

"Hirai spoke about the Vita at a media reception following his CES presentation, where he confessed the Vita was selling “low end of what we expected."

Hiroshi Kawano, February 2013:

“Certainly, at the present time, maybe we’re a little behind the numbers we originally pictured.”

Sony Earning's Report, February 2013:

It cut its estimate for PSP and PS Vita handheld devices to 7 million from a November estimate of 10 million.

Sony Annual Forecast, May 2013:

The company said today it expects to record a combined total of just five million Vita and PSP sales during the period. That compares unfavourably to seven million Vita and PSP sales reported today for the business year ended April 2013, a figure that fell well short of the 16 million units Sony initially forecast last May.

Sony Earning Call, August 2013

"And PSP continues the decline. And PS Vita, as you know, [is] not performing that well."

Fergal Gara, January 2014:

"In all honesty, higher sales would have been what we had hoped for"

The bottom line, Gara said, is that Sony has not been able so far to convince shoppers that they need a PS Vita in addition to the smartphone or tablet they already own. In the interview, he didn't offer much in the way of explaining how things may improve for the PS Vita going forward.

matrixxGT

Are you getting a cookie if vita fails or something? Why go through all the trouble reasearching how vita hasn't lived up to sales expectations. Of course we'd love to see it doing 3ds numbers but its not and it won't.

Vita sold the lowest because their phasing out oled model. Its simple. In May, vita will go back to selling what it has been, probably even a bit better.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements