• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Nintendo badly need to change their Wii U logo.

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

Yanikun

Nintendo-Wii-U-Bundle-Basic-image.jpg

I had a discussion on a forum a few weeks ago about the Wii/Wii U name confusion, and how the logo made it really unclear to uninformed customers that it was actually saying "Wii U" and not "Wii [random logo]."

I got the proof of that today. We had been talking about the Wii U with my parents, and today my mom went to the video game aisle to see what I was talking about. She recognized it because I had already told her it was called the Wii U, but she said if I hadn't told her, she would have just thought it was just a logo and was not supposed to be read as a U.

I think this is hurting Nintendo with their brand name confusion. The system already looks close enough to a Wii, the advertised games are close enough to stuff you could find on a Wii, so having "Wii" written in big letters and then a small square logo, it's super confusing if you haven't heard of it beforehand, because surely parents have heard of the Wii, but they can't exactly be expected to have heard of the Wii U as a new generation of Nintendo systems through overwhelming word of mouth.

And even if you were to somehow look at it and know it's called a Wii U, the way the touch-screen controller is prominently featured on the box while the system itself is cowering in fear behind it, is not exactly screaming "new system," more like "yet another fucking Wii add-on."

So what do you guys think? Should they change the logo, change the name, change the way the controller and system are featured on the box, redesign the system... ?

MadMike

It does kind of look like a gamepad addon for the Wii. The name is also really confusing to people who aren't gaming enthusiasts and non-gamers. A rebranding might help get confused people on board with the system.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
The logo is obvious, if an "uninformed" person can't see the "U" from a mile away, then this product isn't for them. The marketing department has always been clever in it's strategy over the years, and this is no different. The marketing strategy is to target those who love "tablet gaming." Since that's the "hero" of the product. The integration of the "U" into the screen is the clever part of the logo. Nintendo's strategy with "U" is simply: "Emphasis on you."

Let me put it this way, people could point at the Nintendo 64 logo and go like "Nintendo!" With GameCube, this went even further, but this time "GameCube!" Because obviously, the "box" represents a cube, the logo looking "G" represents "Game" by Nintendo.

Wii didn't really have a logo, so Wii U is actually a combination of a product name AND logo. If that's not clever enough for you, then I don't know what is!

WellRubbedCheese

I agree. Nintendo have more problems with the Wii U than just the logo, but it is a problem, and one in which they have full control over themselves. It's too late to change the name totally, it would cause even more confusion and brand damage, but they could make a start by at least having plain text spelling out Wii U alongside the Wii U logo. I'd imagine in hindsight they now know that the actual naming wasn't the best idea but they're pretty much stuck with it now, so surely they realise the logo and their attempts at getting their message across need improving upon.

Personally I think the Wii U is finally coming good, I now have a backlog for the first time, there's quite a few games already released I still want to get, and i'm looking forward to quite a few of the known upcoming games. At the moment it's enough to make me hold off from getting a PS4 until sometime next year, and together they will be great companion consoles. That for me is one of Nintendo's bigger problems though. To those gamers that like a variety of games, the Wii U is great companion to the PS4 or Xbone, but there's not many that would buy it over them. It's also apparent that it hasn't struck a chord with the general public in the same way the Wii did, though that was pretty obvious before it even released. So what they really need to do is make it more appealing as a companion console to gamers, as well as getting the general public to understand that it's a new console and not a Wii add-on. Changing the confusing(to some) logo would be a start, didn't someone mention that. :)

The fact this is still being talked about a year after launch speaks volumes.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I agree. Nintendo have more problems with the Wii U than just the logo, but it is a problem, and one in which they have full control over themselves. It's too late to change the name totally, it would cause even more confusion and brand damage, but they could make a start by at least having plain text spelling out Wii U alongside the Wii U logo. I'd imagine in hindsight they now know that the actual naming wasn't the best idea but they're pretty much stuck with it now, so surely they realise the logo and their attempts at getting their message across need improving upon.
It IS next to the "Wii" logo!

The actual naming is the problem here. Nothing else. It doesn't even "say" what the console is. I'd name the console Wii T just by the peripheral. Or Wii Tee or Tii just for the fun of the pun.

WellRubbedCheese

It IS next to the "Wii" logo!

The actual naming is the problem here. Nothing else. It doesn't even "say" what the console is. I'd name the console Wii T just by the peripheral. Or Wii Tee or Tii just for the fun of the pun.

No, there is blue shape with a white U within it that I and obviously you can see, but as Yanikun says some people might see that as a random logo, so they are only reading it as Wii. What I was suggesting is that at the least Nintendo Could add plain text spelling out Wii U out underneath the logo, so that anybody who can't decipher the U can still read what it's meant to say, likely making the actual logo more apparent. Because I don't live in a world where anybody that can't decipher a dubiously designed logo probably shouldn't own that product.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I feel bad for Nintendo, I really do. Just people can't really see "U" cleverly placed and people can't see it as "Wii U."

*facepalm"

Lethal

Retired Moderator
Nintendo needs so much more than a logo change lol

They can thank God for the success of the 3DS. The only thing that will keep the Wii U from becoming another Virtual Boy.

thabani33

The integration of the "U" into the screen is the clever part of the logo. Nintendo's strategy with "U" is simply: "Emphasis on you."
The concept of 'You' is clever but the execution of the logo is poorly implemented. The "U" logo should not be small. The bold Wii letters that dominates the blue logo makes it seems as some members have pointed out that it looks like an add-on product rather than a new console. The obscured console behind the controller is also a problem and it is beyond me as to why they chose to do that. A totally different name would have been better in clearing this confusion.

CUD

So what do you guys think? Should they change the logo, change the name, change the way the controller and system are featured on the box, redesign the system... ?

Those three things would be nice changes for marketing purposes. Well the name change isn't entirely necessary and may be rather difficult to achieve at this point but the other two would be do nicely.

benna

Cries at the thought of people like your mom who may buy a game console without knowing anything at all about what she's buying.

Remembers time when my nephew wanted a Spiderman action figure for Xmas, and instead got a Daredevil doll, because it had "friends of Spiderman" written on the box somewhere. <insert facepalm icon>

Sorry but I have no need for marketing ploys for idiots. We live in a world where information is freely available instantly. I remember a time when Apple was marketing their computer line based on the 'colours' it came in. When I see this I feel a sense of OK being the less successful, less popular, but 'oh so much better' second class catering to people who use their brains.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Cries at the thought of people like your mom who may buy a game console without knowing anything at all about what she's buying.

Remembers time when my nephew wanted a Spiderman action figure for Xmas, and instead got a Daredevil doll, because it had "friends of Spiderman" written on the box somewhere. <insert facepalm icon>

Sorry but I have no need for marketing ploys for idiots. We live in a world where information is freely available instantly. I remember a time when Apple was marketing their computer line based on the 'colours' it came in. When I see this I feel a sense of OK being the less successful, less popular, but 'oh so much better' second class catering to people who use their brains.
Exactly. I was trying to be nice, but you said it best. Here's a like for you.

Yanikun

Unfortunately, people can only actively inform themselves on stuff they understand is new, different and appealing. Also, tons of people bought Wii's as gifts for others. They weren't interested in them personally, like parents, so it doesn't have to be "for them" for this to be a problem.

Here's a couple of real-life examples given by respected members of Neogaf, taken from a thread called "My sister asked me: Why doesn't "this" game work on my Wii?" [it was a Wii U game] :

I thought you guys where over reacting until a cousin of mine and her friends came over and happened to see my PS4

First they said "oh that is the new PS4, we saw it on youtube main page from Jimmy Fallon"

then they said "the PS4 is cool, I know a lot of people are getting it..."

I replied with "the Xbox One is also coming out soon, it is MS new console" in which they replied with

"Oh that console is the one with the anti owned games and stuff, right?"

I explained to them that MS had changed their policies since June and that the XO does not do this anymore, in which they replied back with

"Oh we don't really look at these gaming websites so we really never knew, we just heard about the Xbox one's weird policies, the last console we played was the Wii did Nintendo make a new console yet?"

:confused:

I explained that Nintendo released the WiiU a year ago... most of them never knew this
while two of them thought it was a tablet add on for the Wii

Nintendo... guys work on your Marketing

Edit: This was Yesterday by the way

My casual friends are similar.

Here's one of the conversations I had recently:

Friend (girl): "Hey Aquamarine, did you hear about the PS4?"

Me: "Yeah, it releases soon. I'm fine with my Wii U though."

Friend: "But I know you play video games...don't you want something new?"

Me: "What do you mean?"

Friend: "The Wii U came out a long time ago. I mean, the PS4 is brand new and stuff."

Me: "...The Wii U is a new video game console like the PS4."

Friend: "Nuh uh! It's just a new tablet for the Wii. It plays Wii games!"

Me: "It plays Wii games and Wii U games."

Friend: "Yeah! Wii U games are tablet games and Wii games are normal games. I heard you can't buy the tablet without buying a completely new Wii. I mean, why would they do that when they could just sell the tablet by itself?"
Also, if you have any friends who work at retail, just ask them.

No, it's not a valid excuse to say "then if they don't understand it's not a product for them." Nintendo wants it to be for everyone. They didn't sell 100 million Wii's by being elitists.

EDIT: An Emily Rogers tweet as a bonus:

SBvVCyN.png

XpAcErX

Not just the logo but everything about the WiiU screams brand confusion. Should have never kept the same name as the previous console and should never have made it look like a wii. Hell I know a lot about the differences between the two and when I'm giving advice the to friends looking to buy the kids a console for Christmas its really confusing to them when I explain what it is an that its not a wii but the wiimotes work with them too.

Crunchewy

There is confusion, but I think it's the marketing that has been the problem, not the name itself or the logo. I think the logo is nice. The first reveal of the Wii U showed only the tablet controller. It confused EVERYBODY. That was a bad start and they've only done marginally better since. But good marketing can fix this problem.

XpAcErX

There is confusion, but I think it's the marketing that has been the problem, not the name itself or the logo. I think the logo is nice. The first reveal of the Wii U showed only the tablet controller. It confused EVERYBODY. That was a bad start and they've only done marginally better since. But good marketing can fix this problem.

Outside the gamer community very few people know what E3 is or even watch the broadcast and the ones that do know very well that it was a new console.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Also, tons of people bought Wii's as gifts for others. They weren't interested in them personally, like parents, so it doesn't have to be "for them" for this to be a problem.
This again, falls under "you're an idiot, you don't need this product if you don't fully know the product itself."
Here's a couple of real-life examples given by respected members of Neogaf, taken from a thread called "My sister asked me: Why doesn't "this" game work on my Wii?" [it was a Wii U game]
That's the perfect example of expecting the machine to be backward compatible with an older hardware. Education, people. Education. If you don't know much about a product, then either look it up, or don't buy it. It's that simple, geez.

Here's a perfect example of what I mean, and it's DIRECTLY from that thread you just linked:
Name similarities aside I'd ask her if she notices a difference between the cases of the game just bought and the other Wii games in the house or even at the store. Everyone knows what the Wii is. I think an simple question would be to ask why is there a U in the name of all of these new games when it wasn't there before. When mistakes like this are made I have to wonder if people don't have observation (s)kills. Even if you aren't a knowledgeable gamer one should still be able to spot the differences when games are on the shelf side by side and wonder what the difference is.
If you can't see the boxed "u." Then you're fucking dumb. I mean, if you can't tell the difference between two identical games, but different hardware - then you're really dumb. Wii U's boxing was intentionally "blue," to differentiate from the white Wii box.
No, it's not a valid excuse to say "then if they don't understand it's not a product for them." Nintendo wants it to be for everyone. They didn't sell 100 million Wii's by being elitists.
I disagree in more levels than one - the biggest problem with Wii was developer support. Granted, it had more developer support in "loose" terms - in other words, there were more indie support - meaning about 40-50% of the Wii library were by "no name" developers, or are no-name brands. Thing is, when you're marketing games to extremely casual gamers - the grampa and grandma's of the world, the parents of the world, you need more than Nintendo games to target them, and you need heavy hitter third party developers on-board - Wii didn't really have that. All the major heavy hitters are on either PS3 or Xbox 360, which is why [in another thread here] I said Nintendo chased the wrong "horse" in their marketing strategy with either Wii or Wii U. Nintendo isn't doing a good job of it. So, with Wii U, I think Nintendo's strategy changed from "everybody" kind of casuals to "everybody" kind of hardcore gamers.

Wii U is supposed to be the HD console of Wii, and nothing more. Problem is, Nintendo scared off the majority of the major developers already onboard their third party group. It's bad enough that more than half of the Wii games couldn't even break the top ten records - and those that break the top ten records are usually either major third parties on other consoles or Nintendo's own games.

This is only going to get worse as PS4 continues to dominate the industry on levels that hasn't been seen since PS2 took over the industry. Not even Microsoft could touch PS4. Not even close.
An Emily Rogers tweet as a bonus:

SBvVCyN.png
That is the only example where I see marketing going wrong. You never leave out the "Wii" in marketing boxes (I can't make out the lower right corner's product, and I'm guessing it says "Hey, select Wii games on Wii U." That's another no-no, too.)

Crunchewy

Well, dumb or not, you want to sell to everyone. A dumb $300 is worth the same as a smart $300. ;) Still, I think the problem is not really the name or logo. The Xbox One name isn't that different either. Heck it's 359 *less* ;) Yet it's selling well.