• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita NGP twice as powerful as iPad 2

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Chris

I read an article today that said the iPad 2 was graphically equivalent to the NGP. This did not seem right to me so I did some investigation and it seems the folks at Beyond3d may know a little more than Bolt Creative, an iPhone and iPod touch developer, who is most well known for creating the extremely popular Pocket God.
Bolt Creative's Dave Castelnuovo said:
"We already know that the original iPad is much faster than the 3DS, and the iPad 2 looks to be equal to (if not better than) the PSP2 in terms of raw graphical horsepower. It will be interesting to see how all three devices compete over the next year."

Castelnuovo added, "According to Epic Games, the PSP2 is roughly four times the speed of the iPhone 4, and it sounds like the iPad 2 has about the same increase in speed. We won't know until someone is able to rip one of these apart and see what kind of GPU is under the hood and compare the hardware specs."

On the other hand, members of Beyond3D have stated that the NGP may be be twice as powerful and due to it's closed environment as being specifically a portable gaming system.
ToTTenTranz said:
Why not?

NGP: 4*A9@1GHz + SGX543MP4 [sic] actually SGX543MP4+
A5: 2*A9@1GHz + SGX543MP2

We're only missing memory bandwidth here, but everything seems pretty much doubled-up.
(source)
ToTTenTranz said:
That said, I doubt any developer will spend big loads of cash to develop AAA titles for the iPad2 anytime soon, like they will for the NGP, and that's where the low-level optimizations are made.
(source)

The good news is that the iPad 2 is supposed to be far better than the iPad 1 and if the NGP is capable of even more than that, we are in for some fantastic graphics.

Chris

Here's a benchmark comparrison of the iPad 2, Xoom, and iPad.
213658-35897.png

iPad 1:
1-iPad-1.png

iPad 2:
1-iPad-2.png

Notice the shaper textures and antialiasing.

Chris

it's to bad the ipad 2 is huge and has no physical gaming buttons
Like what CliffyB said. He said he was a fan of the dual analog sticks and they are the reason why first person shooters can be done well on the NGP but not on the iOS(iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad).
"[[Sony NGP] makes an entire genre doable on a handheld," Bleszinksi told CVG. "I love iOS, but the twin stick shooters on touch screens do not work. I bought the little stick-on analogue sticks [for iPad] and they kind of work, but it still isn't quite the same.

MOFO

Specs wise the NGP should blow away the iPad 2 away in power alone, it has a 4 core CPU and double the graphic power.
Man i cant wait.

AMonte

And of course that means as long as the launch price is 249.99 or less and it has a really good launch line up. And also that at least the most important features are at full force at launch.

talhaa

When did they say that?
I don't know if it's because of battery but I did read that somewhere. I read that they don't run it at full speed when they give it to developers to make games so the games would run better.

talhaa

And of course that means as long as the launch price is 249.99 or less and it has a really good launch line up. And also that at least the most important features are at full force at launch.
:// Don't think it's gonna be 249.99. The psp go was 249.99 at launch. I don't think they're going to launch a device much better than it at the same price. One can only hope though.

Chris

When did they say that?
I don't know if it's because of battery but I did read that somewhere. I read that they don't run it at full speed when they give it to developers to make games so the games would run better.
Here. I think all mobile devices use under-clocked processors including laptops (except some of the extreme gaming ones which are more of a desktop you can lug around). It's how they make them efficient. It's hard to say what is under and what is over. It is more of a gradient. The higher the clock, the more power consumed and more heat generated which is not a desirable for handhelds.

AMonte

:// Don't think it's gonna be 249.99. The psp go was 249.99 at launch. I don't think they're going to launch a device much better than it at the same price. One can only hope though.

The prices of earlier PlayStation products do not mean anything, especially now. Sony has stated I think more than once that they have learned from their mistakes and price is included in that. Sony has also said that they are going to make sure the price of the NGP is competitive, of course that means with the 3DS price.

Also, the PSP go could have cost Sony $100 to make but they could have just decided to price it at $250 to make more money out of each sale.

AND, all rumors and reports have said the NGP is going to cost $250 for wifi only and $300-$350 for the 3G model.

I seriously hope Sony doesn't make the mistake they made with the PS3 launch price and PSP go lauch price.
Sony had lost so much money from each PS3 sold and it took around 3 years I think for the PS3 to be top console.

AMonte

Here. I think all mobile devices use under-clocked processors including laptops (except some of the extreme gaming ones which are more of a desktop you can lug around). It's how they make them efficient. It's hard to say what is under and what is over. It is more of a gradient. The higher the clock, the more power consumed and more heat generated which is not a desirable for handhelds.

Unless I didn't catch it, I don't think it says there that the NGP isn't at full speed when giving to developers, it just says that it won't run at the same speed of the PS3 because the battery would last five minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

Unless I didn't catch it, I don't think it says there that the NGP isn't at full speed when giving to developers, it just says that it won't run at the same speed of the PS3 because the battery would last five minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The developers are probably running it at roughly the same speed that Sony intends. I don't understand all the complexities of a developing for a system before its finalized but the developers may have been only a rough estimate of how powerful the NGP would be. By now, Sony has probably finalized the clock speed at least some of the developers, especially ones that work directly for Sony, know (but they can't tell us yet :)).

talhaa

The prices of earlier PlayStation products do not mean anything, especially now. Sony has stated I think more than once that they have learned from their mistakes and price is included in that. Sony has also said that they are going to make sure the price of the NGP is competitive, of course that means with the 3DS price.

Also, the PSP go could have cost Sony $100 to make but they could have just decided to price it at $250 to make more money out of each sale.

AND, all rumors and reports have said the NGP is going to cost $250 for wifi only and $300-$350 for the 3G model.

I seriously hope Sony doesn't make the mistake they made with the PS3 launch price and PSP go lauch price.
Sony had lost so much money from each PS3 sold and it took around 3 years I think for the PS3 to be top console.
Oh ok. Thanks for the info I guess.

thehunter01

I read an article today that said the iPad 2 was graphically equivalent to the NGP. This did not seem right to me so I did some investigation and it seems the folks at Beyond3d may know a little more than Bolt Creative, an iPhone and iPod touch developer, who is most well known for creating the extremely popular Pocket God.

On the other hand, members of Beyond3D have stated that the NGP may be be twice as powerful and due to it's closed environment as being specifically a portable gaming system.

(source)

(source)

The good news is that the iPad 2 is supposed to be far better than the iPad 1 and if the NGP is capable of even more than that, we are in for some fantastic graphics.

IPAD2 is nowhere near the NGP in gaming realtime performance. the GPU's and cpu's are not only 2x lower in amounts, but add on the gpu level a 2x lower for each core lesser pipelines. The gpu's on the ngp probably are in realtime 6-8x faster.

As you can program NGP to the metal without any driver / overhead limitations, this thing is going to have a truckload of more realtime performance then ipad2 or the future iphone 5. I phone 6 and ipad 3 are not going to beat it for sure.

They will have to outspec the NGP on huge levels, probably factor 10x, to get the same solutions.

ZNARF<3VITA

Alienware is a pretty big competitor to Sony's Vaio due to it's 3d capabilities and hd sound hardware and 1 terabyte maximum memory

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements