• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

NEW 3DS/XL finally convinced me!

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
So I read that the big N is finally releasing a proper version of the 3DS. And they have me by the balls.
I've always loved nintendo. They just made stupid mistakes and I lost my trust in them being able to provide this gen. But now that they are releasing the final version of 3DS I'm over the fence. They call it the New 3DS and it looks great.

The screen is better. No word on the resolution or pixel density but colors and 3D viewing are much improved. Buttons are colored and a second nub/joystick has been added. Pair this with added shoulder buttons, better battery life, and more powerfull hardware and you got me.

I was allready thinking about getting one as I played some mighty good exclusive nintendo titles at gamescom but didnt know if i could really live with the annoying 3d effect and old fashioned controlls.
If priced reasonably (under 200 please, its not a new console but a revision) and I'm definitely picking this one up. I honestly love my PSVita but Nintendo's 3DS has been getting a lot of really great titles in recent months and many upcoming. Vita is great but the 3DS just offers more high profile games.

So please Nintendo give it a nice pricetag and make sure the second joystick works properly and I and many others will gladly give you our money.

140931117546.png

Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...new-3ds-and-3ds-xl-designs-with-extra-buttons

Black-Moustache

Wow, it's been a long time since Nintendo has impressed me all the other times i was just like "meh". Guess i was one of those "passive gamers" >_> Vita really got hit with a headshot on this one.
PS. Fix the region lock and you're gold.

lights

Might be a good idea to put some pics from that Eurogamer article in this thread:

888x500

888x500

888x500

888x500

844x475

844x475

844x475

631x348

The customisable system themes look great as well, especially that Zelda one:

jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lights

Pretty sizable bump on the battery life which is awesome:

The battery life for the New Nintendo 3DS is from 3.5 to 6 hours, while the battery life for the New Nintendo 3DS XL is from 3.5 to 7 hours

The battery is also removable now:

540062FA420173002E

Apparently the 3D viewing angles have also been improved.

TasheRAWR

This looks really cool but I probably won't get it until there's at least 5-10 games available for it that I can't get for the 3DS. :) or until there's a colour I like. I'd probably go for an XL this time.

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
It sucks for people who recently bought one tough. But for anyone who doesn't own one yet due to reasons like shitty 3d quality, underpowered hardware, lack of second joystick this finally gives us an zero compromise option that is very up to date. I definitely am in love and can't wait for a release.

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Well... Looks like I will be selling my Pokemon 3DS XL to get this. Unless, of course, the new 3ds isn't backwards compatible with DS games. Then I will keep my pokemon 3ds.

This made my decision:

http://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-is-coming-to-the-3ds-1628392228

Xenoblade Chronicles and other games being developed exclusive for the New 3DS.
I agree that this is awesome but it would be cool if there was an option for a older gen optimized version. They are excluding everyone still owning the older ones.

But apart from the exclusives there is plenty that will justify the buying of a new 3ds

TasheRAWR

It sucks for people who recently bought one tough. But for anyone who doesn't own one yet due to reasons like shitty 3d quality, underpowered hardware, lack of second joystick this finally gives us an zero compromise option that is very up to date. I definitely am in love and can't wait for a release.

Yeah my boyfriend just purchased a 3DS XL capture card. He isn't too pleased lool but the improvements will be good but hopefully it is backwards compatible with the "old" 3DS games. I don't see why it wouldn't be though as usually Nintendo consoles/ devices are :) but fingers crossed!

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Pretty sizable bump on the battery life which is awesome:

The battery is also removable now:

540062FA420173002E

Apparently the 3D viewing angles have also been improved.
Yeah they showed some footage where even from pretty extreme angles where the screen was still sharp.
I hold of from buying the earlier versions because the 3d seemed like to much of a gimmick that gets annoying due to shitty viewing angle. I can see myself keeping it on all the times if the angles are as good as they say.

Off course I'll wait for reviews of the device as I want to see real life use of the screen and the joystick.
But if it all works as marketed I will be on board as soon as possible

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
Yeah my boyfriend just purchased a 3DS XL capture card. He isn't too pleased lool but the improvements will be good but hopefully it is backwards compatible with the "old" 3DS games. I don't see why it wouldn't be though as usually Nintendo consoles/ devices are :) but fingers crossed!
Yeah I suppose since it's still called 3ds that it will play the entire catalog. The added buttons and increased performance are good enough reasons to have exclusive new 3ds games.

TasheRAWR

Yeah I suppose since it's still called 3ds that it will play the entire catalog. The added buttons and increased performance are good enough reasons to have exclusive new 3ds games.

I think the old games will still be compatible but there will be exclusive ones like you said taking full advantage of the new improvements. Well that's what we hope for :D lol sadly I think with this new release, games will stop being made for the old 3DS fairly quickly :(

Lazerith

What I meant is that I hope it still plays DS games. Or if not, I hope my supercard dstwo will still work with it so I can at least just emulate DS games.

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
I think the old games will still be compatible but there will be exclusive ones like you said taking full advantage of the new improvements. Well that's what we hope for :D lol
I like that they added performance. There was always a need to keep the performance the same between iterations of the same console. It might be the ethical thing to do as it prevents excluding people from newer games.
By upgrading the very hardware it-self they basically made a whole new console that is backwards compatible. I think that should be how people view this device. As a completely new console. I doubt we will see many games that are exclusively for the newer one.
If I were Nintendo I would convince developers to have the game on both systems but just have a option to turn on when you are playing the game on the newer handheld. Imagine something like where you would go to options. Turn the features on and make the game utilize the added controll options and more powerfull hardware.

They also stated that older 3DS games will run better on the New 3DS LL. So apart from just backwards compatibility we will see higher framerates and maybe slightly polished graphics when playing older games on there. I hope they do something like the Vita did where you had added options for texture filtering on PSP games to make some textures appear sharper.

Luuk.vanRiel

The Eternal Poster
What I meant is that I hope it still plays DS games. Or if not, I hope my supercard dstwo will still work with it so I can at least just emulate DS games.
If they wanted to make the best possible handheld they can they would have to include NDS support. I doubt they'll cut it out as it is still a huge seller. Seeing how many excellent NDS games there are they would be stupid to not include it. They should only improve on the flaws the original 3DS had, not cut out features. The fact that they allready cut out the SD card support and replaced it with micro SD sucks. It is also said that it will use new chargers. If you allready have a 3DS the deal is less attractive (though many improvements are) but for newcomers this would be the perfect buy.

lights

Removable faceplates for the smaller 3DS model:

Nintendo Japan is showing off 38 different designs that will be available, with prices ranging from 1000 Yen — the majority are 1500 Yen — up to one option at 3000 Yen. That's a price range of around $9.60 / £5.80 to $28.80 / £17.40.

630x.jpg

Lazerith

Yeah, no sense getting the smaller one. The 3DS XL is so much better than the small 3ds. The larger screen is nice.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements