• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Microsoft To Kill XBox Division?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

macisaguy

Cannon Fodder
**DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!**

In THIS BRIEF WRITE-UP from Destructoid, it mentions the new Microsoft CEO may be under serious pressure to kill off parts of the Microsoft company, including XBox.

Think this could/would happen? Think they'd simply kill it, or sell it if it did happen?

**DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!**

It'll never happen. The new CEO asked Bill Gates to become more involved with the company, and he agreed to do so. Bill Gates has always been a major supporter of the Xbox ecosystem. As long as he's around, Xbox isn't going anywhere. This is simply investors that are unsatisfied with Microsoft "wasting" their time on something that in the end doesn't really generate all that much money compared to their other products and services. Nothing to worry about.

TudorVII

Avenger Class Titan
This has been a rumour about 2 years ago, and I think it even came around again last year when Don Mattick quit. I don't see it happening anytime soon at least.

laddie13

I don't know that it will happen. I guess it depends on how powerful the investors that are requesting the sale of Xbox.

If it did happen, it is not like it would mean the end of the Xbox. Given that the average Microsoft employee seems to have very little knowledge of what the average gamer wants, maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing. Instead of people like Don Mattrick, perhaps the Xbox could be represented in the media by someone who actually plays games.

Blankman

I seriously doubt this would happen. Who has deep pockets to even consider purchasing the Xbox division if MS were to sell it off? Yep, it's staying right where it is. Now that Bill Gates is back on the board as an adviser, I don't see it going anywhere. Gates' ego won't allow a successful division to be jettisoned. The Xbox division is in the black. Robbie the Robot can stop flailing its arms and relax. After all, we're not talking about the Zune.

Steed

UpArmored Tricycle Test Pilot
It's definitely no secret that Microsoft is hurting, especially with its last few OS releases. I can definitely see their need to get back to the basics. As for death of the Xbox as a part of that plan, I don't think it will happen anytime soon if ever. But it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing because, they wouldn't just end it, they would sell it. And more than likely it would be a smaller company that would purchase it and they would have 100% dedication to the Xbox, they push the envelope of innovation. And that would be a good thing.

DocLazieNuts

Hagan

They wouldn't axe the division, they would sell it. And it would more than likely be purchased by Apple or Google, so the product would have support in a worst case scenario. I doubt the sale would happen though if Bill Gates is coming back into the fold, he does believe in his Direct X box

GreyFox

I can understand axing the surface, man I don't think anyone expected a flop so monumental.
Does anyone even use bing?

Bangcat

Potentially an odd Cybernetic Intelligence
I can understand axing the surface, man I don't think anyone expected a flop so monumental.
Does anyone even use bing?

Careful, Bill is watching. @@.

And I kinda got my mom a surface for xmas.

And almost no one uses Bing. Other than Spiderman if you saw that last movie.

GreyFox

Careful, Bill is watching. @@.

And I kinda got my mom a surface for xmas.

And almost no one uses Bing. Other than Spiderman if you saw that last movie.

Dude that's hilarious ! I got my mom one for Christmas as well. But point being Microsoft can cut plenty fat if need be, leave xbox alone.

Riotricity

Donator
I actually want a Surface but the reason no one buys them is because they're expensive. Most people just want a tablet they can browse the web and play some apps, which a cheap Android tablet can do. Also, if people want a Windows computer they will get the laptop instead of the surface. For me and the work I do, a Surface would be very convenient.

As for the Xbox getting cut off, I doubt that's happening. They have a stronghold on the console market, why will they just let it go.

Bangcat

Dude that's hilarious ! I got my mom one for Christmas as well. But point being Microsoft can cut plenty fat if need be, leave xbox alone.

Not even people who officially were paid to work on Bing recommends Bing. Can't tell you who told me but I can swear to you I was told. I'd trust him over Peter Parker any day.

Bangcat

I recently bought a Surface Pro and love it...and Bing is my browser homepage!!! No lies! :D

Peeeeeter PAAAARKERRRRRRRR!

Venom11.png

Darklurkr23

What i want to know is how does any company start if the gaming divions always loses money. it seems every year they say "GAME SALES LOWER THEN LAST"

Riotricity

Donator
Selling less games doesn't necessary means you went negative. Most of the time the company still makes money.
For example, CoD might sell less than the previous year but they still make money.

46040532.jpg

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements