• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Microsoft Considering Making Digital Games Cheaper

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

TudorVII

Avenger Class Titan
Let's hope this is the beginning of a change in digital sales for consoles. I'm not expecting the kind of prices we see on Steam, but even if new releases are £5 cheaper on digital than a physical copy, then it's a step in the right direction.

Blankman

Even if it were cheaper by $5 like Tudor said, it would be a start. I seriously doubt that it will be anywhere what Steam offers. The fact that you can't trade in/sell your digital copy should reduce the cost to the consumer. We can all agree that servers hosting the digital distribution of games are expensive, there needs to be some compromise.

Skuzzy

Even if it were cheaper by $5 like Tudor said, it would be a start. I seriously doubt that it will be anywhere what Steam offers. The fact that you can't trade in/sell your digital copy should reduce the cost to the consumer. We can all agree that servers hosting the digital distribution of games are expensive, there needs to be some compromise.
I agree but there's also no production cost regarding packaging and discs or shipping/warehousing!

Blankman

I agree but there's also no production cost regarding packaging and discs or shipping/warehousing!
I thought about that as well, but they're going to manufacture those discs and packaging regardless if you're purchasing the digital copy. The thing about reducing physical copies is to entice consumers to purchase the digital versions. You won't start seriously changing consumers way of thinking unless you offer incentives such as reduced pricing and pre-installation. I mean who wants to take two to three hours (depending on your download speed) to d/l a game at midnight when you can install it from a disc in twelve to fifteen minutes?

Steed

UpArmored Tricycle Test Pilot
Everyone here is making some good points. A reduction in manufacturing costs should help reduce the cost of digital versions alone, let alone trying to be more competitive on the digital market. But the fact that they are now looking into it is a huge step in the right direction. However, I wouldn't expect to see them to offer early downloads though, at least not at first.

DocLazieNuts

laddie13

I wanted to go all or mostly digital this generation. However when places like Amazon offer the physical copies at a savings of $10 to $20 in sales, I can't justify paying full price.

I would love the option to pre-load the games like on steam. When I bought the digital copy of COD Ghosts on PS3, I was able to pre-load it the Sunday before it released. Hopefully it is a practice that Sony will continue. Luckily, I have a decent Internet connection and downloading is fairly quick on both the PS4 and Xbox One.

Mr McBongerton

Even without the manufacturing and shipping costs, digital sales currently result in a greater profit for devs, publishers and the like by cutting out the middle man retailers. If each new release title is being sold to the retailers for $45-50 a piece and then sold to the public for $60, then selling digital copies directly to the consumer for $55 nets more profit for the companies that actually make the games.

This is assuming, of course, that the company facilitating the digital purchase (MS, Sony, Valve) isn't taking a significantly larger portion of proceeds from digital sales. On this point I'm not knowledgeable of the details.

Mr McBongerton

Indeed. This would be a great step in transitioning over to all digital gaming, but it will never catch on in MS insists on keeping digital titles at full price for months and years longer than retail stores.