• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Microsoft: both PS4 and Xbox One will "sell a ton", online hate "needs to go away"

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

TeknoBlast

Well said from Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb

This morning it was revealed that the Xbox One was December 2013's best-selling home console in North America. In related news, the internet has become a cauldron of fire. Now, Microsoft's PR chap Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has taken to Reddit to applaud PS4's success, calling for diehards on both sides to cool their jets.

According to Nelson, we should all just be glad that the consoles are selling well, whichever machine we favour. "Both new platforms are off to a great start," he wrote. "We all should be celebrating a healthy vibrant industry. Sony has done a good job and they should be commended. The hate that infects gaming in the online space needs to go away." Daww.

"Sony will sell a ton," Hryb added down the page. "We will sell a ton. The industry is doing well...and consumers have choice."

This echoes recent comments to OXM by Microsoft Studios headman Phil Spencer, who said of Sony that he "really respects their focus on investing in new things and creative things". Spencer also had praise for Nintendo, observing that "their first-party is such an amazing asset."

There was certainly room for doubt about the fortunes of both Xbox One and PS4 last year, given slumping sales of big budget console blockbusters. As Bioshock Infinite designer Shawn Elliot told OXM last January, "where games are at now - the big budget games - you have the potential to be extraordinarily and unpredictably successful, but the risk, the bet you're taking is that you can also fail utterly."

Some argued that the general sales decline had more to do with the age of the supporting platforms. Others claimed, however, that consumers had simply fallen out of love with the idea of a console full stop - lured away by powerful smartphones and tablets. Fortunately, the optimists appear to have prevailed: Microsoft has now sold well over three million Xbox One units worldwide.

The problem of "online hate" is another kettle of fish, of course. I spoke to a number of developers about how they deal with toxic rancour back in 2012. The answers in brief: angry people may shout louder, but they aren't the majority, and the situation is improving.

In the spirit of Nelson's remarks, here's your agenda for the afternoon: find a PS4 or Wii U owner and give him or her a nice, big hug. I'll start by hugging Joe Skrebels, former OXM intern turned Official Nintendo news editor - hopefully, he won't think I'm just trying to steal his wallet.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/69631/microsof...will-sell-a-ton-online-hate-needs-to-go-away/

akhi216

I ain't sign up for that
Well fuck me that Major Nelson is a smart man who is in the know about mindsets of gaming fans. I never knew guys like him existed in the industry.

DuhWhitePanda

Gaming illumiNaughty
I agree, even if it is damage control. Quick question for Microsoft because I know they read my posts. Where the fuck were you all last generation when your console was more popular than Playstation 3? Funny how times change when you're #2.

akhi216

I ain't sign up for that
I agree, even if it is damage control. Quick question for Microsoft because I know they read my posts. Where the fuck were you all last generation when your console was more popular than Playstation 3? Funny how times change when you're #2.
I think it has to do with M$ and $on¥ making strange bedfellows vs. Google with the Rockstar consortium.

On a side note why does Major Nelson call himself Major when he has never been in the military? Maybe it is his gamertag lol?

RTRSPCT

I shall never be neutralized! People should boycott such criminal corporations for life.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Indeed. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

If you're scare of competition, Microsoft... GO HOME! GO. FUCKING. HOME!

GamejunkieUK

Because god forbid someone actually having religious fervor for PlayStation on a PlayStation forum.

Disclaimer: I plan to get an Xbox One soon.

One thing showing ones preference for the Playstation brand but totally another when posting immature reactions to the competition.

akhi216

I ain't sign up for that
One thing showing ones preference for the Playstation brand but totally another when posting immature reactions to the competition.
The thing about that is that immaturity is subjective. I don't go to Xbox/Nintendo/PC forums expecting not to see potshots at the competition.