• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

I Feel I May Never Own Another Nintendo System Again

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

The_Legend77

Alright, so let me go ahead and say I'm going to rant a little. These are my opinions, and I'm not here to argue or start a fight with anyone. However, I feel I need to say this and am curious if anyone feels the same as I do about Nintendo.

I owned a NES back in it's glory days and I loved it to death. It was my best friend in a sense. I bought videos of how to beat games...I bought magazines, I rented games all the time...I was hooked on this system like so many other. Along came the Gameboy and once again, I was hooked. Years pass by and lo and behold, a SNES comes our way one fine Christmas.

I can not begin to tell how many hours I put in to each of these systems. The memories I have will probably last until the day I die. There was a SMS in the house, and Game Gear made its way in to my hands, but the Nintendo trio were the top systems. I didn't get a GBC as I was still too busy with the SNES. I was still playing the SNES as my main console up until around 2000ish. Actually, the SNES was still the "newest" console I had as well as a Genesis (okay, I did receive a Virtual Boy but I hardly played it). I eventually got a GBA, and though I enjoyed it, it didn't have the fun factor as the trio did for me.

Around this time I start collecting all kinds of systems. I eventually get a N64, and I enjoyed a few games, but something happened. I didn't feel the sense of awesomeness that I did from the NES, GB or SNES. The games didn't hold my attention for very long. Later I snag up a Gamecube and once again, I felt let down. I'm not saying there aren't good games for these systems, but I just wasn't feeling them.

I tried my best to enjoy them. I even imported an Orange Spice Gamecube with matching Orange Spice Gameboy Player. I played some Japan only games, and while they were fun, I hardly picked them back up if at all, when I beat them. I got a Wii and needless to say I was highly disappointed. I couldn't stand it. Even to this day I can't stand playing it. I don't enjoy the Wii-Mote whatsoever. I had a DS at launch, and it was probably the most enjoyable Nintendo system I played since the SNES!

During this time, keep in mind I was playing and collecting for all kinds of systems. I had fun on some, not so much on others. Finally something happened in my life where I was forced to sell off most of my collection. Slowly but surely, I traded in all of my Nintendo stuff, keeping only my NES, Gameboy and SNES. So what happened?

Even whenever I bought games for these systems in the past few years that I never played, most of the time I enjoyed them. Not only did I have fun, I felt like during these time periods of these systems, Nintendo gave more of a damn about their fans and what it actually meant to be a great gaming company. However, once I got my hands on the N64 and any system thereafter, something just didn't feel right. I don't know if that makes sense, but playing games on these systems I just felt Nintendo had lost their touch. It's as if they forgot what made them great, and decided to shun some of their fans. Some of you might think it's a nostalgic feeling, but I disagree. For instance, I used to own a PS1 and PS2...and even though the PS3 is more powerful and blah blah, I feel both of these systems are better. I haven't played a PS4 yet, that's why I only speak of the PS3.

I don't know, maybe it's cause they were my "childhood" video game company. I honestly can't explain it. As time passed I'll be honest to say I've got to where I simply don't want to play any Nintendo system, even the NES, Gameboy or SNES. I'm keeping them and a few games simply because of what they mean to me. Who knows, maybe I'll pick them up again, but I feel if I got rid of them, I would be getting rid of a piece of myself. They mean a lot to me...but I just don't want to play them. I haven't played a Wii-U yet, but just looking at it and watching demos, I don't see myself getting one. Heck, I can't stand the Wii, so why would I even want a Wii-U? I don't like the 3D aspect of the 3DS. I know you can turn off the 3D, but isn't that the whole "gimmick" to the system? Besides, turn of the 3D, and you have a more powerful DS basically. To be honest, I don't really want another DS again.

Maybe when it all boils down to it, over the years my tastes in gaming have just changed. Perhaps all this bickering and whining I'm doing about Nintendo is pointless, and it's not the company themselves, but it's just my change in gaming tastes. I honestly don't know, but I've felt this way about Nintendo for the past I don't know how many years. I know companies change over the years, and they aren't what they used to be. However, I just don't care for the road Nintendo took, if that makes sense.

Sorry for the long post, and I'm sure all of this is pointless. I'm sure some of you might quote some of what I say, and trash talk me. That's fine. Maybe some of you feel the same as I do. I don't know. I'm not bashing anyone here that still enjoys Nintendo games whatsoever. Play what you enjoy, no matter what system it's on. For me, I just don't feel like I could ever personally own another Nintendo system again. I haven't had that "WOW" factor since the SNES days. There have been fun times on the newer systems over the years, don't get me wrong...yet while I may have had fun, nothing ever truly grabbed ahold of me or blew me away. It was just "okay, this is fun...NEXT"...whereas the older consoles it was "THIS IS FRIGGIN AMAZING!!!".

agentyork

i know how you feel but at the same time i don't because of the amount of great games i've played over the years. i started my gaming lifestyle with the snes and boy did i love that thing. i would honestly say though the n64 was prime time. the 3d graphics blew my mind, and honestly it was the 3d that did it for me, it was how all the nintendo and rare games used that 3d to create game play that did it. everything from mario's arsenal of parkour skills to z targeting and the massive landscape of zelda, to strafing and shooting in golden eye. the game cube unlike for you did not disappoint me in the slightest. i felt the controller for the gamecube is so comfortable, i still use it today. so many great titles from melee,(favorite smash) double dash(favorite mario kart), sunshine, luigi's mansion, tales of symphonia (favorite game ever), soul calibur 2(favorite soul calibur), and honestly too many to count. i owned a ps1 and ps2 and i have over 80 games combined but nearly all of it was single player experience, the game cube created the best memories for me since i had so many couch buddies, and we had a blast. i disliked the wii motion controls myself, if not hate it but nintendo created the best motion control game ever in skyward sword. that game made me eat my words about how i would never enjoy motion control games. such brilliant level design and pushed everything good about motion controls into one package with the best zelda story. i also loved twilight princess, brought me back to the majora's mask days with the atmosphere. overall, i have way too many games and had way too much fun on the wii to consider the magic gone. the wii u has already become special to me too, with great titles like bayonetta, wind waker hd(phenominal), pikman3, super mario 3d world, mario kart 8, hyrule warriors, zombie u, and dk tropical freeze. all the games i've mentioned brings a level of quality, especially in game play that makes me feel like a child again playing my favorite games. its like that feeling in your heart you get when you are watching a good movie and you feel its a good movie or when you meet a girl and you just get really into her. the most important part is that you stop thinking about anything or everything, you just enjoy and being in the moment knowing your part of something special.

as for handhelds, i've had a gameboy color, pokemon nuff said, game boy advance then gba sp which honestly was my side girl when i wasn't home with the miss(home console), i had amazing countless hours lost on fire emblem(first experience with srpg and now i'm a srpg freak), final fantasy 1,2,5,6 and tactics advanced, shaman king(great show and really solid game actually), kirby, metroid, golden sun, zelda, too many to list man. the ds, i have over 30 games, not gonna bother listing them, there is just too many. lastly the 3ds, i already have 20 games i've beaten and 2 preordered. as to your statement of the 3d being a gimmick, its completely false when you play games like super mario3d land and legend of zelda a link between worlds. the 3d really, truly adds into the game play and makes a difference. both games bring me back to the snes/n64 days with just how awestruck i am with their innovations. granted outside a handful of games, most of the games don't use the 3d effectively but to name a few others, luigi's mansion 2, kid icarus uprising, and paper mario sticker star do a great job validating the 3d is meant for game play not as a gimmick to sell consoles.

loungerman35

in some ways I agree with u apart from the bit about the GameCube I loved that system and think it was one of the best Nintendo's but yes in the last few years they have got worse I didn't really like the wii but I did buy a wii u when they first came out because of the promises Nintendo made with it being the system that would put Nintendo back on the map and have good 3ed party support I was happy with it at first but then the developers pulled out because of poor sales and after owning the wii u for two years and no games I wanted coming out on it I gave up and sold it and still to this day there is only 3 games I would of bothered getting if I still had it Nintendo definitely need to pull something out of the bag for there next home system or I probably wont buy another Nintendo system again and that's a shame

agentyork

in some ways I agree with u apart from the bit about the GameCube I loved that system and think it was one of the best Nintendo's but yes in the last few years they have got worse I didn't really like the wii but I did buy a wii u when they first came out because of the promises Nintendo made with it being the system that would put Nintendo back on the map and have good 3ed party support I was happy with it at first but then the developers pulled out because of poor sales and after owning the wii u for two years and no games I wanted coming out on it I gave up and sold it and still to this day there is only 3 games I would of bothered getting if I still had it Nintendo definitely need to pull something out of the bag for there next home system or I probably wont buy another Nintendo system again and that's a shame
3 games???? wow you must have some very specific tats or your not looking hard enough with the wii u games that came out.

Wyt Myk

I buy nintendo systems for Zelda and Mario. Then I sell them until the next Zelda or Mario comes out. Then I buy the system again and sell it again. Maybe not the smartest thing but hey, thats me!

loungerman35

yeah smash bros Mario kart an bayo 2 are the only games in 2014 I would of got on wii u all the multi platform games are better on ps4 and nothing else came out I won't be interested in and as for this year Zelda is the only one interested in iv got 30 games on my ps4 in a year and only had 8 on my wii u in two years so I sold it and in the last year I would of only brought them 3 games if I still had one

Twitchy

Yeah i agree with you man! i dnt even like the majority of 3ds games:/ i am keen for monster hunter 4 tho which is coming out 13th of february

The_Legend77

Wow1 I actually felt I would catch a lot of flack for what I posted! I know companies have been copying one another on the gimmicks for the systems, but when I look at the big three, I honestly feel Nintendo focuses too much on gimmicks. Wow, play games in 3D...whoopie doo. It's more of a headache for me...which again gets rid of their gimmick. The 2 screens for their systems is a plus, at times...the biggest positive I could say on the handhelds. The Wii Mote is horrible and I could never stand it. I don't really like the Wii U pad whatsoever. It seems Nintendo gets more shovelware then the other 2 cause companies want to focus on the silly gimmick of the system rather than make a real game. Why not just go back to a more normal-ish system with a normal-ish controller? If they did that I MIGHT consider purchasing the system...MIGHT. I always feel whenever Nintendo shows off these silly ideas, it's more about how ridiculous of an idea can we implement in to our system? Again, that's just my feelings towards the latest Nintendo consoles. I feel if they took a step back, didn't have the silliness of the Wii or Wii-U and went back to what made them great, I bet they would be a better contender than what they've been. I understand Japan loves Nintendo to death, but they've lost an audience I feel like elsewhere.

loungerman35

to be fair I quite like the game pad and there was also the po pad witch was ok it was just the lack of games what killed it for me I would love for Nintendo to make a comeback but I doubt it

RaidUGZ

Wow1 I actually felt I would catch a lot of flack for what I posted! I know companies have been copying one another on the gimmicks for the systems, but when I look at the big three, I honestly feel Nintendo focuses too much on gimmicks. Wow, play games in 3D...whoopie doo. It's more of a headache for me...which again gets rid of their gimmick. The 2 screens for their systems is a plus, at times...the biggest positive I could say on the handhelds. The Wii Mote is horrible and I could never stand it. I don't really like the Wii U pad whatsoever. It seems Nintendo gets more shovelware then the other 2 cause companies want to focus on the silly gimmick of the system rather than make a real game. Why not just go back to a more normal-ish system with a normal-ish controller? If they did that I MIGHT consider purchasing the system...MIGHT. I always feel whenever Nintendo shows off these silly ideas, it's more about how ridiculous of an idea can we implement in to our system? Again, that's just my feelings towards the latest Nintendo consoles. I feel if they took a step back, didn't have the silliness of the Wii or Wii-U and went back to what made them great, I bet they would be a better contender than what they've been. I understand Japan loves Nintendo to death, but they've lost an audience I feel like elsewhere.

I feel you with the gimmicks; I've never been a fan of the Wiimote. However, pretty much any Wii U game is playable with the Pro Controller (basically a 360 controller) if you wanted to jump in and play like a traditional gamer.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements