• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

How much can you resist without playing games?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

wallet

I have tried the other days to stop playing games for a while. What do you think? I could not stay more than three days without playing games online. I didn't know that I am so affected and that my addiction is so high!
How much can you resist without playing games?

overcast

I think if you give specific time to game then the addiction won't kick in. For example, I give time to gaming while travelling or during weekend. So this way I don't have to get that missing feeling to be in the game. I can resist many hours or days like this. But yeah once a week I have to play some game in order to stay focused. Otherwise it kind of feels like missing. It depends on how busy I am in everyday life.

Soulwatcher

Believe it or not but its been 3 days since I played Minecraft because my real life schedule has been so busy. 4+ years ago I would have been climbing the walls. But I have slowly regained control over my addiction and now I can go days without gaming and still be happy.

And right now I am gaming 1~3 hours a day and keeping my mind occupied with real-life activities and this website and just sitting around and relaxing. And wallet doesn't worry, I don't know how old you are, but you will get to a point in your life where gaming is not so important anymore. It took me 38 years to reach that point and 42 years where I can be free of gaming addiction. :)

fishmonk

I can resist without playing games for a long time now, I guess. It actually depends on the scenario. If I have to do overtime at work and come back late, I will just skip games for the day. It's important to have self-control. I used to have issues with over excessive gaming but my friends helped me to overcome it. They dragged me to join them in various outdoor activities. We had plenty of fun travelling, food hunting, hiking, playing board games and other activities.

morgoodie

I am not addicted to playing games although I do enjoy playing them. My son on the other hand goes absolutely crazy when he has been banned from electronics. When he had to stop playing COD because it was causing him too many problems with his anxiety, I really didn't think he was going to make it. He gets so addicted to these games that I have to limit them so he will do other things. The most he has went without was a week and I thought I was going to go crazy during that time.

Soulwatcher

I am not addicted to playing games although I do enjoy playing them. My son on the other hand goes absolutely crazy when he has been banned from electronics. When he had to stop playing COD because it was causing him too many problems with his anxiety, I really didn't think he was going to make it. He gets so addicted to these games that I have to limit them so he will do other things. The most he has went without was a week and I thought I was going to go crazy during that time.
My cousin's son is the same way he doesn't want to do anything but play video games. My opinion is developers and publishers should be ashamed of themselves. Because they use psychologists and psychiatrists to help them makes games that keep people addicted to the game. And it's seriously harming adults and especially kids and the sad part about it all is they are getting rich and they don't even care.

ballyhara

Believe it or not but its been 3 days since I played Minecraft because my real life schedule has been so busy. 4+ years ago I would have been climbing the walls. But I have slowly regained control over my addiction and now I can god days without gaming and still be happy.

And right now I am gaming 1~3 hours a day and keeping my mind occupied with real life activities and this website and just sitting around and relaxing. And wallet don't worry, I don't know how old you are, but you will get to a point in your life where gaming is not so important any more. It took me 38 years to reach that point and 42 years where I can be free of gaming addiction. :)
Same thing happens to me, I work a lot so I don't have the time I used to have for gaming, but I had to realize this day by day. What I do is to take about 2 hours a day to play MC or whatever I want to, depending on my mood. That way, I'm still doing what I really like without taking time from work or family.

Marvadaum

Same thing happens to me, I work a lot so I don't have the time I used to have for gaming, but I had to realize this day by day. What I do is to take about 2 hours a day to play MC or whatever I want to, depending on my mood. That way, I'm still doing what I really like without taking time from work or family.
Unfortunately, i haven't had much time to play lately. I try and get at least one hour every day but it's been hard to fit even that. The Sad thing is when you've been away for a while and return it feels kinda off. Like you don't recognize your work anymore. :(

Soulwatcher

Unfortunately, i haven't had much time to play lately. I try and get at least one hour every day but it's been hard to fit even that. The Sad thing is when you've been away for a while and return it feels kinda off. Like you don't recognize your work anymore. :(
I 100% agree after I am away from any game so long it feels foreign to me. But the good thing is I am usually able to pick it back up without any problems and after playing a few days it seems normal again.

fishmonk

I 100% agree after I am away from any game so long it feels foreign to me. But the good thing is I am usually able to pick it back up without any problems and after playing a few days it seems normal again.
If I take a short break like about four to 5 days, I will totally lose track of directions in my Minecraft world. This applies to me in the real world as well. I can't seem to recall directions to places well so I need a GPS.

Soulwatcher

If I take a short break like about four to 5 days, I will totally lose track of directions in my Minecraft world. This applies to me in the real world as well. I can't seem to recall directions to places well so I need a GPS.
We kind of have a GPS on our community server. You can see yourself on the map in real time. (map.themcnation.com) and your ability to see where you have been and where you're going.

amitkokiladitya

My gaming gap will depend on what is keeping me away. If it a deliberate effort then I doubt that my lag period will extend more than a couple of days. But Yes, if it is some other personal or professional affair that demands my time then I will surely stay away until things turn favorable.

Marvadaum

Usually i do too. The problem is when it happensa again the next week. After two or three of those i usually quit the game haha. Unless of course i like the game a lot. Then i'll open an exception.

Kira1

Probably 2 days max and that's all I can allow but beyond that, I'd probably go nuts. Lol. Ever since I was a kid, I already had passion about gaming and up until now, I still have it. No matter how busy or tired I am at the end of the day, I would always spare 30 minutes or an hour of my life just for gaming. Doesn't matter whatever games as long as you are having fun.

jayveeborres

1 week almost resisted playing games. Because my grandmother was confined in the hospital for 1 week. I spent time with my grandmother a whole week. Without noticing, I didn't play any games because I love my grandmother and took care for her.

jkeypad

In high school, I remembered I was addicted to playing games, I will play from night until morning the next day, that caused me to be anemic. My red blood cells have the deficiency to carry oxygen. To be specific, it is iron deficiency Anemia. After I diagnosed with that, I gradually stopped playing games, I learned to control myself from anything from there. So, I won't worried or bothered if I'm not playing games for several days and so. Furthermore, my attention is divided into many things.

Soulwatcher

In high school, I remembered I was addicted to playing games, I will play from night until morning the next day, that caused me to be anemic. My red blood cells have the deficiency to carry oxygen. To be specific, it is iron deficiency Anemia. After I diagnosed with that, I gradually stopped playing games, I learned to control myself from anything from there. So, I won't worried or bothered if I'm not playing games for several days and so. Furthermore, my attention is divided into many things.
WOW crazy, I am glad that you learned self-control. Gaming was a major problem for me too. I use to play 10~14hrs a day every day. And that's no life! I have since calmed way down and I keep it to 1~3hrs a day and I don't play every day. I have been so busy with real life it's more like a 1hr a day a few days a week if I am lucky. But to be honest, I would much rather be busy in real life then busy wasting my life away playing video games.

jkeypad

That's how I got sick, big time!:nailbiting:. I would not recommend that to anyone. You must be exhausted. Don't you have break time? is it straight 10-14 hours?. Uhm, I'm trying to remember if I took some minutes to rest for a while from playing games? hmmm, I think not...im playing straight I think, oh dear that was a disaster.:facepalm::laugh: Well, Congrats, you've made it through!. At least you lessen the hours now. I bet it's hard for you.

jkeypad

WOW crazy, I am glad that you learned self control. Gaming was a major problem for me too. I use to play 10~14hrs a day every day. And that's no life! I have since calmed way down and I keep it to 1~3hrs a day and I don't play every day. I have been so busy with real life its more like a 1hr a day a few days a week if I am lucky. But to be honest, I would much rather be busy in real life then busy wasting my life away playing video games.
That's how I got sick, big time!:nailbiting:. I would not recommend that to anyone. You must be exhausted. Don't you have break time? is it straight 10-14 hours?. Uhm, I'm trying to remember if I took some minutes to rest for a while from playing games? hmmm, I think not...im playing straight I think, oh dear that was a disaster.:facepalm::laugh: Well, Congrats, you've made it through!. At least you lessen the hours now. I bet it's hard for you.

(Oops, sorry... I forgot to click reply to tagged you. I want to delete the first one but I couldn't)
Have a good day!

Soulwatcher

Not really because I am going to be 43 years old next month and I have had more than my fair share of gaming. And I had been wanting to quit for a long time. And it took about 4 years to finally kick the habit. I hardly ever think about gaming anymore. My real life is so fulfilled now that gaming is an afterthought.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements