• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

How can I install Tribes Ascend to another directory?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Nathan Fluerty

Pretty simple question, I installed Tribes Ascend to one of my larger hard-drives back in open beta, long story short, the hard-drive doesn't work properly and I want to install Tribes Ascend again. Here is the problem; whenever I un-install all Hi-Rez related programs from my computer, and re-install them, it asks me to choose to install the games and Hi-Rez stuff to a directory on another hard-drive (C: in this case). However, when I try to install Tribes Ascend again, it installs to the original location, on the not working drive (D: in this case). Is there a way to install Tribes to another hard-drive, or am I screwed?

This is the directory that it was originally installed into: (D:/Hi-Rez Studios/Hi-Rez Games/Tribes Ascend

This is where I want it to install to: (C:/Program Files/Hi-Rez Studios/Hi-Rez Games/Tribes Ascend)

I use Windows 7 32-Bit.

snowclon3

Remap the hard drive letters making C->D and D->C
<
</joking> (that would most likeky break all your programs, so dont do that)

Well do you have 2 HDDs? Unplug one of them so it doesn's see D drive at all.

Incase you don't have 2 HDD, but one partitioned as C and D (never understood why ppl do this), follow this:
  1. Windows + R (should open run window)
  2. write diskmgmt.msc
  3. Right-click D: drive
  4. Choose Assign letters and paths (or something similar, not on eng win 7 at the moment)
  5. choose D from the list and press delete
  6. might require reboot.

Don't worry, you dont lose and data from D drive, it just doesnt have a letter assigned for the time being. You can assing the letter back with almost the same instructions, if there are some problems or you're not sure what you're doing, ask for help here before breaking anything, I'll gladly help
<

EDIT:

Ofcourse you could hide a second HDD letter (in this case D) with this method, if you don't want to unplug anything, just remember to remap when you're done
<

Nathan Fluerty

Sorry for the long reply, but I managed to solve it by formatting the broken hard drive (which didn't have anything on it anyway) and cancelling the format, so that it stayed unformatted. This forced it to install to the C drive.

Dsk954

The problem is that some games automatically search for C: drive for space / other programs.

My main drive is the E:\ drive and i do have the occasioinal problem getting an installer to work. To get around this you can enter a command into your cmd prompt to trick the computer.

To get the install started:

Open the command prompt

*Start button ----> Run

*type "cmd" and hit enter

enter the command: subst C: E:\

* with C: being the desired drive (the one the games automatically install to)

* with E:\ being the letter of your current drive

This will not permanently change your drive, rather it will create a virtual drive which will be recognised by the games you are trying to install!

Hope this helps!

snowclon3

The problem is that some games automatically search for C: drive for space / other programs.

My main drive is the E:\ drive and i do have the occasioinal problem getting an installer to work. To get around this you can enter a command into your cmd prompt to trick the computer.

To get the install started:

Open the command prompt

*Start button ----> Run

*type "cmd" and hit enter

enter the command: subst C: E:\

* with C: being the desired drive (the one the games automatically install to)

* with E:\ being the letter of your current drive

This will not permanently change your drive, rather it will create a virtual drive which will be recognised by the games you are trying to install!

Hope this helps!

This wouldn't apply to this case because he has C:\ already
<

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements