• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Dubs v.s Subs which do you prefer?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Shampoo XIII

I ran into this guy on youtube that said that dubs are an insult and that his ears bleed whenever he hears english VA's in anime (even though his native language is English). Do you guy's think Dubs are an insult? and what do you prefer Dubs or Subs?

My answer: I actually like watching anime in my native language, so i do prefer dubs HOWEVER i will not watch bad dubs (although i haven't heard alot of them).

Silent Angel

I'm with you. I prefer hearing them in English but if the dub is too bad I'll just skip the show entirely. I only watch subs when I can't wait for the new episodes to be dubbed (did it with code geass) or when an anime interests me and it's only available the way. At the time anyway.

Kamehameha

Dubs, all the way. I can't do subs. I try to, but it annoys me having to watch the text. Maybe I am just lazy.

Dragonball Z is my favorite anime (obviously), and almost everyone I know prefers the Japanese version. They don't like the english dubs or the english music. I actually prefer the english music, and I love the voice acting as well. Much more than the Japanese voice actors. That's just me though, maybe it's because I grew up watching and listening to the English versions of anime.

Alexei Zadornov

You guys are so lucky. :eek:

I need to watch almost every anime with subs, because there are few animes on TV here. In fact, in some animes, I need to watch with English subs (my mother tongue is portuguese)!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

But I always prefer to watch with subs and with the original sound. Most of the dubs sucks!

Shampoo XIII

You guys are so lucky. :eek:

I need to watch almost every anime with subs, because there are few animes on TV here. In fact, in some animes, I need to watch with English subs (my mother tongue is portuguese)!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

But I always prefer to watch with subs and with the original sound. Most of the dubs sucks!
How would you know that most dubs suck if you haven't watched any?

PixelKnot

I prefer dub.

But if the certain anime is only available to sub, I would still watch it.
I've pretty much adapted to reading text and Japanese voice acting in general doesn't annoy me.

quills

Dub. I love reading but since I like actiony anime if I am having to split my attention between subs and the action going on I feel like I could miss something and it detracts from the overall enjoyment of the show. Plus I like to paint, draw, whathaveyou while I watch. I never have been a passive viewer I cannot just sit there like a lump and watch.

People that have a problem with another persons preference for dubs are elitist pigs anyway.

thabani33

Strictly subs for me because most dubs lack:
  • enthusiasm
  • genki-ness
  • high pitched female voices
  • proper pronunciation of Japanese names
  • meaning (some idioms, jokes and figure of speech can't be directly translated)
  • gratuitous 'Engrish' terms and phrases ("Rove and Peace!" - Trigun, "RRRRRRUURRRRUUUU!" - Panty, Stocking, Garterbelt) always funny to hear.
  • emotion (melodrama)
Though I must admit there are a few exceptional dubs that are done well, but I always watch subs.

RadmiralAckbar

I prefer subs all the way, much better to hear it in the original language and original music, subs still miss out on some of the more subtle humour though and use the wrong word but much better than dubs. I have tried watching dubs but I can't stand the English voices haha. Subs have helped me improve on my Japanese too.

lights

I prefer dubs when they're done well.

In my opinion one negative to subs is that they don't let you appreciate the visuals to the full extent, as your focus is split between the subs and the animation.

I'm less bothered about dubbing on anime than in live action movies where the lips actually match up with the audio. When it comes down to it anime is just some people talking over some moving images, whether that's in Japanese or English. I find dubbing way more noticeable in live action movies.

Plus you have to remember that just because the Japanese audio is the original version, doesn't necessarily always make it the best. Anime shows in Japan are susceptible to bad voice acting as well.

That said, there are definitely some horrible dubs out there. It's less of a problem when it comes to the bigger production companies such as Viz and Funimation. The Studio Ghibli movies are definitely a highlight when it comes to showcasing the quality of a English dub when you have a decent sized budget.

So for me:

Good Dubs > Subs > Poor Dubs

thabani33

The Studio Ghibli movies are definitely a highlight when it comes to showcasing the quality of a English dub when you have a decent sized budget.
You're spot on there buddy, Studio Ghibli always gets it right with their dubs.

Redux

I prefer subs simply because it's the original way the director/studio intended the audience to view the anime. I don't mind reading them either. However, I would not consider dubs an insult by any means. Funny thing I've realized about subs is that you become better at keeping up as you watch more anime (or anything subbed). For example I love the monogatari series, however, it was difficult to keep up with the onslaught of subtitles at first; but now I can keep up with no problem and still enjoy the the series.

Yanikun

I don't watch anime so I don't have a strong opinion on that, but beyond that dubbing is an insult. That's like going to a restaurant to taste a chef's cuisine only for the food to be made by some random guy on the other side of the world.

I'll take the original every single time. You're cutting half of the actors' job and half of the writers' job. That's an insult to me. As far as I'm concerned, if you haven't seen a movie or a TV show in its original language, you're not in any position to criticize the actors' job or the writers' job. You've seen someone drawing over a painting basically.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements