• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Do you see any negative aspect in Minecraft?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Unfortunately, we can't say that the games are perfect. As much as we like it, they all have something that we don't like (which obviously is not a flaw... because that is a particular view of each player). But there's something that discourages you from playing or something?

Let's talk about that (even though you can not see any flaws in the game :bored:).

Soulwatcher

I think the only negative aspect is the fact that they don't offer some kind of protection (without mods) to keep people from destroying whatever you built. Something like Worldguard would be perfect. It would allow you to protect whatever you built and you can go offline and not worry if it's still going to be there when you wake up.

JaiGuru

The biggest thing that turns me off in-game are jerks. Griefers and out of control server staff who treat people like dirt ruin the game for me like nothing else. It's tot he point I wont even play on a server anymore without LWC and property protection of some manner because it's simply not worth the hassle.

If we're talking strictly about the game itself, one of the very few things I dislike about it is the block size. They're just so big! It's really hard to get minute details without building in a gigantic scale that is impractical for every-day playing. I wish the blocks were a quarter, or even an eighth of the size they are now. I just keep thinking of all the wonderful eves and rails I could create if that were so!

fishmonk

A few months back, my friend's younger brother burnt down his base when he was away doing errands. He was devastated so we built a shared base linked together. We could not blame his brother as he was a young kid who had not encountered Minecraft before.

wallet

No game is perfect, WildSpirit, in fact, many games have negative aspects. Now, about Minecraft, I think that a negative aspect is that the tools have a slight chance of falling out of a player's hand, and the mods may contain viruses or objectionable content, or make Minecraft run slowly and even crash.

I think the only negative aspect is the fact that they don't offer some kind of protection (without mods) to keep people from destroying whatever you built. Something like Worldguard would be perfect. It would allow you to protect whatever you built and you can go offline and not worry if it's still going to be there when you wake up.

Yeah, I agree with you. :) This is a negative side of Minecfrat. :bored: It should be urgently improved... Maybe in future new versions? :rolleyes:

JoeMilford

The biggest thing that turns me off in-game are jerks. Griefers and out of control server staff who treat people like dirt ruin the game for me like nothing else. It's tot he point I wont even play on a server anymore without LWC and property protection of some manner because it's simply not worth the hassle.

If we're talking strictly about the game itself, one of the very few things I dislike about it is the block size. They're just so big! It's really hard to get minute details without building in a gigantic scale that is impractical for every-day playing. I wish the blocks were a quarter, or even an eighth of the size they are now. I just keep thinking of all the wonderful eves and rails I could create if that were so!

JaiGuru,
You really nailed it here when you talked about jerks and griefers--I personally do not understand the enjoyment some people get out of intimidating or bullying others in the gaming world. There should be some sort of ethical standard for gamers to adhere to, but, alas, like every other arena in human experience, you are always going to run into bad folks.

Before I join in a public server, I always check if there is some kind of land protection enabled. There are some servers that have plugins like that to prevent people from ruining what you have built and it is your safe zone too, but the problem is jerks are getting more and more creative by finding other ways to ruin your day. If you have enabled protection in your land, there will be those that will be building blocks up high just so they could go over your base in the sky and let sand blocks fall to your base or even lava. There will always be griefers and it just can't be helped.

Xilkozuf

Before I started playing, I used to see the graphic as a negative aspect. I didn't like it, it just felt lazy and boring. Then I actually started playing the game, and I realized that the graphic so peculiar is actually part of the experience, and lazy or boring aren't good terms to describe it.
As for now, I can't think of a single wrong aspect with the game.

Kira1

The only negative effect I can think of right now is that if you play Minecraft, you will surely lose some of your hours in life having fun while playing the game. I mean, who doesn't? Lol

JaiGuru

JaiGuru,
You really nailed it here when you talked about jerks and griefers--I personally do not understand the enjoyment some people get out of intimidating or bullying others in the gaming world. There should be some sort of ethical standard for gamers to adhere to, but, alas, like every other arena in human experience, you are always going to run into bad folks.

I've ended up a moderator on a number of servers specifically because of my 0 tolerance policy for certain in-game behaviors. I go to Minecraft for entertainment so I'm not trying to be a tough guy or anything, but I am utterly humorless about people who show up just to torture others. I've been known to keep tabs on where particularly toxic people show up on Minecraft forums and send warning messages to admins when they apply for whitelisting on someone's server. Sometimes you just have to fight the good fight.

Soulwatcher

The only negative effect I can think of right now is that if you play Minecraft, you will surely lose some of your hours in life having fun while playing the game. I mean, who doesn't? Lol
That's why you have to play in moderation. I will set a timer If I am deep into a gaming session and I am having trouble keeping track of time. That way when the timer goes off I know I am done playing for the day. Otherwise, I am going to sit there and play nonstop until the cows come home lol. And I have given up 10~14hr gaming sessions, I keep gaming in check and play in moderation. And my life is 1000x times more fulfilling then if I sat in from of the tv all day playing video games.

Soulwatcher

I've ended up a moderator on a number of servers specifically because of my 0 tolerance policy for certain in-game behaviors. I go to Minecraft for entertainment so I'm not trying to be a tough guy or anything, but I am utterly humorless about people who show up just to torture others. I've been known to keep tabs on where particularly toxic people show up on Minecraft forums and send warning messages to admins when they apply for whitelisting on someone's server. Sometimes you just have to fight the good fight.
Unfortunately, some people get kicks off other people sorrow. I have never experienced anything like that on my 2 servers and realm. But I do know it happens even with Worldguard. That's why it's so important to keep good backups and some kind of log system to see who has done what on the server. And the bad part is even if you do a rollback someone still suffers because someone is going to lose part of their build.

JaiGuru

WorldGuard is honestly a pretty poor security tool. It does have very customizable flags you can use, but often this is more of a hindrance than a help. For starters, you should always be using LWC for chest, door, and furnace protection. It's very light weight and reliable. Next you need to decide what security software you're going to use. That's a whole thing in itself and the better the software the bigger your hosting bill is going ot be because they eat system resources like a pig. Try AntiGrief for a lightweight protection system that users can use for themselves. It is very simple and hooks into the economy as well if you want to motivate your players. Plus, it's got excellent land regeneration tools.

Kira1

That's why you have to play in moderation. I will set a timer If I am deep into a gaming session and I am having trouble keeping track of time. That way when the timer goes off I know I am done playing for the day. Otherwise I am going to sit there and play nonstop until the cows come home lol. And I have giving up 10~14hr gaming sessions, I keep gaming in check and play in moderation. And my life is 1000x times more fulfilling then if I sat in from of the tv all day playing video games.
But but.. could you really stop playing even if you have the timer? I mean, for sure I won't. But yeah that is a good way to control yourself. I always say to myself: there is still later. Lol. Sometimes it works.

Mariana

It actually took me a few minutes to even find something negative about Minecraft but I guess I have to list the same one as JaiGuru.

People being jerks is the reason that I mainly play offline and not so actively on different servers. One time when I was on a server my creation was destroyed overnight which really annoyed me at the time and made me leave the server all together. I honestly don't know how easy/hard it is setting up the server protection that prevents people from destroying creations since I have never ran a server myself.

But I guess at the same time, it isn't really only a problem in Minecraft. In general, every gaming community has certain individuals that love ruining other people's fun. I have accepted it a long time ago.

Soulwatcher

But but.. could you really stop playing even if you have the timer? I mean, for sure I won't. But yeah that is a good way to control yourself. I always say to myself: there is still later. Lol. Sometimes it works.
I have the time I don't work due to an illness so I have all the free time in the world. I just learned/realized that there is a lot more to life than sitting in front of a computer screen for 10~14hrs a day watching life pass me by.

Soulwatcher

But I guess at the same time, it isn't really only a problem in Minecraft. In general, every gaming community has certain individuals that love ruining other people's fun. I have accepted it a long time ago.
Yep, there is always one person who tries and ruin the fun for everyone. I feel sorry for people like that because they must live a sorry life if they don't have anything else better to do then ruin other peoples fun.

Marvadaum

While I love MC I have to say that I'd enjoy some sort of graphics upgrade. No im, not one of those gamers that are only in it for the beautiful graphics but a little revamp wouldn't hurt anyone in my opinion. We could still enjoy all cool features that make us enjoy the game only with something easier on the eyes.

Kira1

I have the time I don't work due to a illness so I have all the free time in the world. I just learned/realized that there is a lot more to life then sitting in front of a computer screen for 10~14hrs a day watching life pass me by.
Definitely right. Hahaha. You sound like you can already write a song about how you deal with your gaming life. :p We all have to go out from time to time just to have a feel with mother nature. And also, it is good for our eyes as well.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements