• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PSVita Digital games, here forever? Or lost in time?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Digital games here forever? Or lost in time?

• Total voters

Lethal

Retired Moderator
I am curious to see how you guys feel about this. There is no right or wrong answer here, as everything is assumptions.

If the PSN were to go away, how would you download the classic games 20 years down the road?

Do you think digital games are bad for history? Will these digital only games get lost in time?

I feel that many games will disappear in time. Digital exclusives will be nothing but whatever videos you can dig up online. Physical copies of games last forever. If 20 years go by, and you find an old PS3 or PS Vita at a garage sale, there is a chance that there will be no network to log on to, to get those old digital games.

What do you think?

For those unable to understand what exactly this thread is about...

1. Physical copies will never all disappear. There will always be a way to find or play your old physical copies at any time in the future.

2. Do you think the format of which the digital game is available on, will be available forever?

3. Legal games that are intended to play on the console in which they released on. No emulators, no illegal distribution.

Caleb

I am curious to see how you guys feel about this. There is no right or wrong answer here, as everything is assumptions.

If the PSN were to go away, how would you download the classic games 20 years down the road?

Do you think digital games are bad for history? Will these digital only games get lost in time?

I feel that many games will disappear in time. Digital exclusives will be nothing but whatever videos you can dig up online. Physical copies of games last forever. If 20 years go by, and you find an old PS3 or PS Vita at a garage sale, there is a chance that there will be no network to log on to, to get those old digital games.

What do you think?
Just out of curiosity, aren't you going digital only for your vita?

Lethal

Retired Moderator

Caleb

Yes I am, because I really do not care if I lose these games down the road lol. I do have a nice physical collection of my PS3 and PS1 games though. And all the PS Vita digital games I own are also available in physical format. I am mostly referring to games that are digital only. They will eventually be a memory.

http://psvitaforum.com/threads/digital-games-here-forever-or-lost-in-time.12680/
I see. If you download a digital game I would assume it would be linked to that account forever, and I would ASSUME you could log in, in twenty years and still access it, even if the online is gone?

PSJamesMysterio

Really?

Well its not based on assumptions. I guess you are just ignoring facts.

"Physical copies of games last forever". On the other thread you said nothing lasts forever. And obviously physical copies do not last forever.

I will say this once and only once, the chance PSN will be down is pure speculation based on nothing.

Also, the question is biased and obviously used to support your claim. As physical copies will be lost in time.

Caseyfam

As much as I hate to say it, things change. Stuff happens. Servers cost money. The industry moves on towards a product that makes more money, and they can't afford to maintain this stuff. While I can't say this for certain, I feel like it will be a justifiable action thirty years down the road when people are already playing the newest handheld or console.

CUD

Well, yeah, if PSN were to no longer exist I assume all of its digital content would no longer be available to download from their network; same goes for any other digital distribution service. That much seems blatantly obvious.

I don't see this as an immediate concern since digital distribution is still increasing in popularity but it may very well cause us issues further down the track.

Sh0gun

I must confess I know nothing about the gaming industry but Sony is a giant of a corporation so I suppose it's fair to assume they'll be around for awhile, so will their digital games.

Lethal

Retired Moderator
"Physical copies of games last forever". On the other thread you said nothing lasts forever. And obviously physical copies do not last forever.

What the hell are you talking about? A physical game will last as long as I want it to last. It will always be available for me to play. You are sounding more and more ridiculous.

I guarantee that my physical copy of Golden Abyss, will out last your digital copy over time. Chances are that 50 years later, I can still play my copy, where you will not even have access to the game.

PSJamesMysterio

What the hell are you talking about? A physical game will last as long as I want it to last. It will always be available for me to play.

Well your question is meaningless by the fact that you stated that nothing lasts forever in the previous thread.

How do you know that? Can you logically assume that? No matter how you take care of a game it isn't going to be around forever more. Same with a console. Console breaks, disc scratches up (whether your fault or not), loss of disc....etc etc

lol that is ridiculous. I have old ass Colecovision and Atari games from the 70s and 80s that still work just fine.

and? Your talking forever are you not?

Lethal

Retired Moderator
Well your question is meaningless by the fact that you stated that nothing lasts forever in the previous thread.

How do you know that? Can you logically assume that? No matter how you take care of a game it isn't going to be around forever more. Same with a console. Console breaks, disc scratches up (whether your fault or not), loss of disc....etc etc

I am done wasting my time explaining something so incredible simple to understand. You do not have to participate if you cannot grasp the concept of this thread lol.

PSJamesMysterio

I am done wasting my time explaining something so incredible simple to understand. You do not have to participate if you cannot grasp the concept of this thread lol.

So the concept is to agree with you? You have a poll for God sakes.Read your first post. Based on what you just said you just change it too "Agree with me or you don't understand the concept of a poll"

Anytime I bring up any point or counter argument you don't even address it. You just ignore everything I say and repeat yourself.

Lethal

Retired Moderator
So the concept is to agree with you? You have a poll for God sakes.Read your first post. Base don what you just said you just change it too "Agree with me or you don't understand the concept of a poll"

Anytime I bring up any point or counter argument you don't even address it. You just ignore everything I say and repeat yourself.

No......You are trying to make things over complicated. Vote in the poll instead of trying to tell me I said nothing is forever. Nothing is forever, meaning games will no longer be made, but my damn physical copies will be in my drawer forever if I want them to be. The question is, will your digital copies be waiting for you?

Well, yeah, if PSN were to no longer exist I assume all of its digital content would no longer be available to download from their network; same goes for any other digital distribution service. That much seems blatantly obvious.

I don't see this as an immediate concern since digital distribution is still increasing in popularity but it may very well cause us issues further down the track.
I agree completely. No concern now, but later on it could be an issue for sure.

PSJamesMysterio

No......You are trying to make things over complicated. Vote in the poll instead of trying to tell me I said nothing is forever. Nothing is forever, meaning games will no longer be made, but my damn physical copies will be in my drawer forever if I want them to be. The question is, will your digital copies be waiting for you?

So now your putting motivations in my head. Great. I'm done when people say I'm trying to do anything, like the mighty moderators can go inside my head.

Oh and you did say that.

Nothing lasts forever my friend, and digital games of today will one day disappear. But those physical copies will be around forever.
http://psvitaforum.com/threads/are-the-games-on-psn-there-forever.12661/#post-222721
post 17

So nothing is around forever but this is? I argued why they won't and you repeated yourself again.

Lethal

Retired Moderator
you can lose it or it can get stolen
Water damage?

Water damage or stolen? Because that has happened never in my life lol. Is the thread really this hard to understand? So you think every single physical game will get destroyed in time? Because if the digital game is no longer available, they are all gone forever. Get it?

The question is, do you think the digital copies will disappear in time, or be here forever? Same goes for Mysterio.

So now your putting motivations in my head. Great. I'm done when people say I'm trying to do anything, like the mighty moderators can go inside my head.

Moderator or not, it would not change anything I have said to you.

benna

All companies will come and go. All consoles will have their time in the sun, and then fade. But like lethal says they will usually still function as the decades fade. I have many old consoles and they last if you take care of them.

That's why I am getting all my indies on Vita. The games work without being connected to the internet or even PSN. I plan to have my Vita available to enjoy, many years from now. Just like a good book.

This is in direct contrast to my PC indies on Steam, and I am shifting away from Steam and moving onto Vita. To me, the Vita is easier to deal with than a PC w/Steam.

The biggest danger to games is not whether you buy digital or physical; Its the trend to make games with an online requirement or have a persistent connection. Example Demon Souls, Diablo 3, online mmo's, Simcity online, Steam. These games/services are totally useless if the servers don't stay up.

Once they shut down the servers for them, and they will, the game is useless, no matter whether you purchased the disc or are using a digital download.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements