• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Dead Can Dance

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Omni

<b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide
5178880wx6.jpg

Dead Can Dance is a musical collaboration between Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard. Their music ranges from gothic ambient to neoclassical to explorations of world music and a medieval rock. I've been listening to them for a while, but they're unfortunately not making music together anymore

Is anyone else familiar with their stuff? Overall, I'd say that Into the Labyrinth is my favorite album by them, but I enjoy greatly all of their material. It's also interesting to see how they've influenced bands like Elend and the current era of Ulver.

"The Carnival Is Over" (Brendan Perry on vocals):
[YOUTUBE]LtNFQ7RJbaQ[/YOUTUBE]

"Yulunga (Spirit Dance)" (Lisa Gerrard on vocals):
[YOUTUBE]NQvu0XiwZk4[/YOUTUBE]

Poetic Sobriquet

Cosmic Philosopher
Actually, I know of them. I rather like their music. I didn't know of them until seeing The Mist and hearing The Host of Seraphim on there. I liked the song enough to look into it and I downloaded The Passage in Time compilation to get a good feel of their music and it was some really great stuff.

As for Ulver, if you mean their Shadows of the Sun CD I have to say that each song I like individually from it, but overall the whole CD feels like a lot of the same in a row. I get a good feel from the songs, but I definitely prefer the music of DCD. Much more varied and poignant to me though like I said I've only heard their Shadows of the Suns album.

Carlo Marx

Sunflower Sutra
Interesting, I enjoyed the second video more. Ass for Ulver, Omni would know much more then I, but I can tell you that they are pretty varied, their albums range from metal to electronica/ambient to symphonic rock. I have every album(If not ever pretty damn close) by them if you ever want an upload.

Omni

<b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide
Actually, I know of them. I rather like their music. I didn't know of them until seeing The Mist and hearing The Host of Seraphim on there. I liked the song enough to look into it and I downloaded The Passage in Time compilation to get a good feel of their music and it was some really great stuff.

About half the people I talk to that know their music found it from that movie, so I'm glad that it introduced them to something they might not have heard otherwise.

As for Ulver, if you mean their Shadows of the Sun CD I have to say that each song I like individually from it, but overall the whole CD feels like a lot of the same in a row. I get a good feel from the songs, but I definitely prefer the music of DCD. Much more varied and poignant to me though like I said I've only heard their Shadows of the Suns album.

While I can agree that much of it sounds pretty similar, I don't consider it a band thing. There's definitely some Dead Can Dance influences on that album (mostly resembling the earliest Dead Can Dance albums), but it's more closely related to David Sylvian's soft music and Coil's ambient works than it is to Dead Can Dance. Kristoffer Rygg and Tore Ylwizaker, who are the main people behind the current era of Ulver, are just generally influenced by the composition and arranging style of their music. I'd rather like to see them do something closer musically to Dead Can Dance, actually.

I'd say that you should consider checking out Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler and Perdition City by Ulver, because those are probably a little bit more accessible releases. The best thing about Ulver is that everything by them sounds different from everything else they've done.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements