• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

AT&T is doing away with copper wires! Do you think it's good or bad?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

Soulwatcher

AT&T is doing away with copper wires and rolling out Home Phone and Internet over 4gLTE with the AT&T Homebase I have the unlimited plus wireless internet (shared with 3 other people) and the AT&T Homebase and I am getting 10~20+mbps down and 6~10mbps up and its unlimited data. I am over 100GB in 3 days with no slow down.

AT&T is working on 5G and when they get it up and running they are doing away with all copper wires because they are too costly to maintain. They are going to to have cable, internet, and phone run over 5g because copper wires are too costly to maintain. Do you guys think doing away with copper wires is good or bad?

JoeMilford

What an interesting question here. I guess that my first instinct is that this is a bad idea, and it worries me that everything would be going "cloud", and no hard-wiring or backups would be available. I understand that the copper wiring is terribly expensive to manufacture and maintain, but I am also sure that AT&T is not hurting too bad for money, but this may just be presumptuous of me. This company is huge where I live, and I actually have a college buddy who has been working for them for over twenty years. I think I will actually ask him about this.

Soulwatcher

What an interesting question here. I guess that my first instinct is that this is a bad idea, and it worries me that everything would be going "cloud", and no hard-wiring or backups would be available. I understand that the copper wiring is terribly expensive to manufacture and maintain, but I am also sure that AT&T is not hurting too bad for money, but this may just be presumptuous of me. This company is huge where I live, and I actually have a college buddy who has been working for them for over twenty years. I think I will actually ask him about this.
Well, when you think about it they don't need to make any holes in your house our run any wires. And they don't need a landlords permission on rented property. And the cost is minimal to expand to new areas, I imagine that a cell tower is a very small fraction of the cost of wiring a neighborhood with fiber and copper wires.

JoeMilford

Well when you think about it they don't need to make any holes in your house our run any wires. And they don't need a land lords permission on rented property. And the cost is minimal to expand to new areas, I imagine that a cell tower is a very small fraction of the cost of wiring a neighborhood with fiber and copper wires.
No kidding. When you put it that way, it does make total sense. After the hurricane property damage a lot of us took down here in Georgia, I am sure a cell phone tower would be cheaper, easier, and quicker to repair. I have no aversion t them doing this; I just hope the grid never goes down permanently!

overcast

I learned in my electronics engg classes that soon optic fibers are meant to replace the copper wires. As they are likely to last longer and also have more data transfer capacity. So surely they can be used completely instead of even using the copper wire. I am sure in future they can get rid of a lot of unnecessary stuff. This surely adds up a lot of value as we have less clutter on road and underground.

Soulwatcher

it worries me that everything would be going "cloud", and no hard-wiring or backups would be available.
Joe, I hate to say it but in another 10+ years, everything is going to be in the cloud. And I feel like there are always going to be backups. Because how would businesses backup their data and the same can be said about college students. So they are going to have to have some sort of backup and what it is I do now know.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements