• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 Are You Sick Of Gaming Companys Ripping Us Off?

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Register Log in

Please select Three Choices

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know the PS4 is not going to be compatible for PSN. As if it is not bad enough i had to re buy all my PSP games digitally even though own 55 physical UMDS just to play my PSP GO that was so supposed to be so convenient. Do not get me started on my PS1 collection i still own games that are not on PSN and probably never will be. So let me get this straight SONY i should be happy your adding some PS2 Games? When i have over 70. Isn't it funny SONY does not care about emulation when it comes to them making more of a profit. Consumers heaven forbid back up the games they already own. SONY has no right to keep us from playing games i physically have on any system i want. Sounds like Dictatorship to me. I will go buy like 3 PS2s and Boycott the PS4 until they started giving Consumers what they deserve. We need to get it out of head we need the latest thing. Personally i am 22 years old and i am sick of the B.S All it is ripping people off and them making more money in the process they are laughing at us.
Thanks everyone i want to hear your opinions good or bad. Have A Nice Day =D

I do not consider pirating i buy all of the games i want. The best part of doing that is say games that are not on PSN such as Military Madness Nectaris, Tecmos Deception, Kings Field 1 and 2, Shadowman, Shadow Tower and so forth. You would be able to play them as long as an emulator is used in the PSP Emu just no sound for PSX right now =D. Pirating takes away money from the game designers so why should keep making games if we are not going to give them something to live on.
Alpmaster

Joined: AMpWed, 04 Apr 2012 06:17:19 +000017Wednesday18 2012 9:05

Inoperable Brain Tumor

Backwards compatibility isn't a right, its a bonus, and its not required in order to release a new system.

You had to have known that PSP Go wasn't compatible with UMDs, so that is kinda your fault. And when did Sony say that they wont have PSN on the PS4? All the DLC "MADE FOR" the PS3 isn't going to be compatible because its a totally different architecture, that is to be expected...

I know it sucks that all the stuff you bought isn't going to transfer up, but it just means you will have to hang on to your PS3 (which will play ALL (or most) of your PS1 games BTW).

IMO, you would be more happy being a PC Gamer. You don't really have to worry about those things :)

Oh, and Im not trying to be a dick, I just don't see the logic in complaining about it since there are easy solutions. But I am with you, I don't plan on buying any NEXT Gen console until there are mucho exclusivos.

RheaSink

So in your opinion Sony should include B/C in PS4 and charge $600+ for it? You would feel better then? Geez... Just keep your old console, it's simple as that

Combo_Knight

So in your opinion Sony should include B/C in PS4 and charge $600+ for it? You would feel better then? Geez... Just keep your old console, it's simple as that

I really don't have time or space to be dedicating to consoles like that. Just keep your old console, is a bad answer to the problem, I often wonder do these people keep their windows 97 towers when they buy a windows 7 pc?

rrajao

Newsflash: before the PS2, guess what the last non-portable console that had backwards compatibility out of the box was? Hint: it was made by Atari.

The reason the PS4 won't have backwards compatibility is technical, not just pure greed. Besides, old consoles don't just burn up in flames when a new one is released, you know? What's wrong with keeping the old one when the new one is released? If playing old games is that big a deal to you, just keep the old console.

I often wonder do these people keep their windows 97 towers when they buy a windows 7 pc?
No, because there was never a Windows 97:p

Seriously now, I do know people who keep old PCs around for precisely that reason. Windows' compatibility mode doesn't really work well, and VM isn't always the best solution for older software. Therefore, if you need to run certain old software (mostly for business reasons), you definitey need to keep older hardware around.

CoolDust

No, im buying my PS4 to.... wait for it guys...... play PS4 games! If I want to play PS3 games I will fire up my PS3 and same goes for any other devices. Ive never understood why people buy new consoles to play old games, I get the convenience side of it and dont get me wrong it is nice but a deal breaker? Hell no! My biggest interest lies with the next generation of games.

Sony ditched the Cell which makes PS3 emulation on the PS4 physically impossible, they did this in favour of a more easy to develop for console. Nintendo used hardware from the Wii in the Wii U so it would support Wii games but what was the point? It made the system underpowered and in a year or two nobody is going to care... Thats the thing about BC, its nice at the start of a generation but two years later and the console has enough native titles that it doesn't even matter.

RheaSink

I really don't have time or space to be dedicating to consoles like that. Just keep your old console, is a bad answer to the problem, I often wonder do these people keep their windows 97 towers when they buy a windows 7 pc?
I'm not going to argue on that, different people different problems. I for one don't see a problem to occasionally switch consoles.

But explain me how lack of B/C is "ripping off"? It's not like Sony will force you to rebuy your games (well, you actually won't even be able to do it), so how is that "ripping off?" It will result in inconvenience for some customers, but it has nothing to do with greed or something like that. And so this thread is a complete BS.

Terramax

No, I love being ripped off by video games companies...

Haha, ok, no, seriously, I was really fed up when I couldn't play Mega Drive games on my Sega Saturn....

DOH! Ok, I'll take this seriously now....

SONY has no right to keep us from playing games i physically have on any system i want. Sounds like Dictatorship to me.
You can still play all your games on your original console. Unless, after you buy a PS4, Sony contact you personally to say you can no longer play their previous consoles?

No one's forcing you to buy a PS4, or any console for that matter.

The OP fails big time.

Backwards compatibility isn't a right, its a bonus, and its not required in order to release a new system.

You had to have known that PSP Go wasn't compatible with UMDs, so that is kinda your fault. And when did Sony say that they wont have PSN on the PS4? All the DLC "MADE FOR" the PS3 isn't going to be compatible because its a totally different architecture, that is to be expected...

I know it sucks that all the stuff you bought isn't going to transfer up, but it just means you will have to hang on to your PS3 (which will play ALL (or most) of your PS1 games BTW).

IMO, you would be more happy being a PC Gamer. You don't really have to worry about those things :)

Oh, and Im not trying to be a dick, I just don't see the logic in complaining about it since there are easy solutions. But I am with you, I don't plan on buying any NEXT Gen console until there are mucho exclusivos.
Thanks for the reply what my problem with the PSP GO was I did not do my research. I was also mad that over seas got free downloads as long they had upcs. To prove they owned the PSP games. Backwards compatibility is in incentive for us Consumers to buy there product. You are correct I probably will be buying a Wii U. At least that still plays Wii games.

Nah, I'm much more concerned with the egregious outrage that is the agribusiness industry. I'll keep my ps3 thanks.
Hello Grave flower I agree I will keep my PS3. The sad thing is how long the PS3s going to be produced maybe a year or two if were lucky.

No how about with all the money SONY has they could benefit the Consumers and take a loss in price. But no SONY is so greedy they do not care about us.

I will not be surprised when the Devs get there hands on the PS4 and they will find a way to play PS1,PS2,PSP and PS3. Stop acting like SONY would give us the ability to play my PS1 Games like
Shadowman,Tecmos Deception and Nectaris Military Madness and Kings Field and Kings Field 2. Games that will probably never be sold on PSN.

I'm not going to argue on that, different people different problems. I for one don't see a problem to occasionally switch consoles.

But explain me how lack of B/C is "ripping off"? It's not like Sony will force you to rebuy your games (well, you actually won't even be able to do it), so how is that "ripping off?" It will result in inconvenient for some customers, but it has nothing to do with greed or something like that. And so this thread is a complete BS.
How is that so SONY stopped selling the Backwards Compatible PS3 since they said it cost to much money money to produce. Are you telling me SONY is not able to make a NEW System without making sure they make a profit by you having to buy new controllers,Or in the case of a VITA Proprietary memory cards and Data Cables. That are pretty expensive when it first came out to replace. SONY Does Not Care About There Consumers. That's alright down the line people will teach these Company's.

But explain me how lack of B/C is "ripping off"? It's not like Sony will force you to rebuy your games (well, you actually won't even be able to do it), so how is that "ripping off?" It will result in inconvenient for some customers, but it has nothing to do with greed or something like that. And so this thread is a complete BS.
More importantly don't say there not going to make you re buy your games A because they have done that before and B Maybe SONY will see how bad the sales will be for the PS4 and decide HMM maybe we should have supported every other game and game system they sold. Next Gen is not for everybody and i just will stop supporting any company's that do not care about the Consumer. I Will stay a Retro Gamer for life if they don't change there attitude. Like you Said i don't need to buy anything from them especially if there not meeting Consumers expectations.

Nah, I'm much more concerned with the egregious outrage that is the agribusiness industry. I'll keep my ps3 thanks.
What happens when the PS3 is not supported and we have no choice but to buy the PS4 or nothing at all?

No, im buying my PS4 to.... wait for it guys...... play PS4 games! If I want to play PS3 games I will fire up my PS3 and same goes for any other devices. Ive never understood why people buy new consoles to play old games, I get the convenience side of it and dont get me wrong it is nice but a deal breaker? Hell no! My biggest interest lies with the next generation of games.

Sony ditched the Cell which makes PS3 emulation on the PS4 physically impossible, they did this in favour of a more easy to develop for console. Nintendo used hardware from the Wii in the Wii U so it would support Wii games but what was the point? It made the system underpowered and in a year or two nobody is going to care... Thats the thing about BC, its nice at the start of a generation but two years later and the console has enough native titles that it doesn't even matter.
Buying a PS4 just shows SONY that they can give or take anything and still have people buy something and make them even more money.CONGRATULATIONS

Combo_Knight

Ripping off was not a good idea to express the dissatisfaction I agree, but I can sympathize with the dissapointment in lack of BC, for any console quite honestly. and I'm not asking for it to play past a generation. I'm just asking it to play one step backwards. PS4 to ps3. nothing more nothing less.

Goteki 45

This topic seems.....familiar. I'll just echo my initial statement from the other thread and say: I'm more sick of poor consumerism than anything else. That goes to everyone who's suggesting keeping old consoles but jizz themselves over:
  • PS2 games getting re-released on Vita
  • Gaikai & PS4
  • (Insert game here) being listed in the PS1/2 classics section
Now tell me more about how I should happily plug up my PS2 when Sony is kind enough to throw me some remakes/remasters at the low, low cost of $40; y'know, cuz backwardz compatibiltee iz soo wurthless lol :rolleyes:

PSJamesMysterio

This topic seems.....familiar. I'll just echo my initial statement from the other thread and say: I'm more sick of poor consumerism than anything else. That goes to everyone who's suggesting keeping old consoles but jizz themselves over:
  • PS2 games getting re-released on Vita
  • Gaikai & PS4
  • (Insert game here) being listed in the PS1/2 classics section
Now tell me more about how I should happily plug up my PS2 when Sony is kind enough to throw me some remakes/remasters at the low, low cost of $40; y'know, cuz backwardz compatibiltee iz soo wurthless lol :rolleyes:
There a difference between acting like back Comp is worthless and simply making sense. use your old console. What is wrong with this exactly? Why is it wrong to not have back comp? back Comp is NOT in almost every video game console ever created. Sony would be stupid to add it, it would make the PS4 600 dollar or more. the PS3 had a rough start because of the high price tag. See, in business, you learn form your mistakes. The PS4 is made for PS4 games and the PS3 is made for PS3 games. The fact that gamers expect this to have to be in every console like its easy and like it is everywhere is a joke.

Goteki 45

Yeah....wouldn't want it to be $600, would we? That's why the consensus is that it will be about $500 at launch while managing to play only PS4 games. Mind you, the system features that have been advertised have not been interesting to me in the slightest. So what exactly would I be paying for? The ability to upload my K/D ratio to Facebook? It's not a right or wrong thing regarding what you want out of a system, but understand it's all relative. I want a system that can play games. That's my main thing. (Streaming at a fee =/= playing) If the system can't do that, social interaction or no, I'm not interested. Apparently everyone else is down with paying for what's likely to have been bought several times over, which is poor consumerism to me, but then again when has brand loyalty ever made sense? *Shrug*

PSJamesMysterio

Yeah....wouldn't want it to be $600, would we? That's why the consensus is that it will be about $500 at launch while managing to play only PS4 games. Mind you, the system features that have been advertised have not been interesting to me in the slightest. So what exactly would I be paying for? The ability to upload my K/D ratio to Facebook? It's not a right or wrong thing regarding what you want out of a system, but understand it's all relative. I want a system that can play games. That's my main thing. (Streaming at a fee =/= playing) If the system can't do that, social interaction or no, I'm not interested. Apparently everyone else is down with paying for what's likely to have been bought several times over, which is poor consumerism to me, but then again when has brand loyalty ever made sense? *Shrug*
Everything I have heard is 350-400.
Ugh...
Did you watch the conference? Sony is clearly stating the PS4 is gaming console first and foremost and all the features are about games. Like is aid on another thread., this thought that gaming companies shouldn't expand their devices to be multipurpose is just stupid. But is that what Sony was talking about? No. they were talking about feature sofr games. Social Features for games. Uploading game footage.Who said anyone was down with paying? I down with using my common sense and keeping my PS3. Instead of stating some ludicrous statement that Sony is forcing me to repay. that is what we are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements