• Welcome to DestroyRepeat - The #1 place to talk about Video Games. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Apple announces Windows browser

Welcome to Destroy Repeat

We are the gaming and tech community for you

Captain Morgan

hates YOU!
Well, something like this was bound to happen eventually.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6742439.stm

Apple announces Windows browser

Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows, competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.

Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand the 4.9% market share Safari enjoys.

Mr Jobs was speaking at a conference of developers for Apple products in San Francisco, California.

He said Safari was "the fastest browser on Windows", saying it was twice as fast as Internet Explorer.

A test version of Safari 3 for Windows XP, Vista and Apple Macs running OSX, is available for download from the Apple website. Apple is hoping to replicate the success of iTunes, which has proved enormously popular on both Macs and Windows machines.

"We think Windows users are going to be really impressed when they see how fast and intuitive web browsing can be with Safari," said Mr Jobs.

Mr Jobs used the conference to lift the lid on new features of its forthcoming operating system (OS) for Macs, called Leopard.

Stacks desktop

He said the OS has 300 new features and demoed 10, including a new organisational system for the desktop called Stacks and a new folder system which lets users browse files and applications visually, just as music lovers can browse album covers in iTunes.

He also unveiled Quick Look, a feature which lets users preview files, such as movies, photos and documents, without having to open up a related application. For example, users will be able to preview a movie file without having to open up QuickTime.

Leopard is due for release in October and will cost $129.

JupiterResearch analyst Michael Gartenberg said the new features would give developers "the tools to create the next generation of applications".

Writing on his blog, he said: "Apple has once again taken their platform to the next step and given developers the framework they need. It also looks and feels really cool and perhaps that's even more important."

Mr Jobs also gave the greenlight to third-party development of new applications for its forthcoming iPhone mobile phone.

In a u-turn from a previously stated policy, he said developers would be able to build web applications for the device that "extend the capabilities of iPhone... but keep the iPhone secure".

Web standards

Instead of having to test each and every new application themselves, Apple will allow developers to build web applications for the phone which run inside the device's web browser Safari and which were built on existing web standards.

Games giant Electronic Arts were also on stage to announce a series of titles that would be released for the Mac.

The latest Harry Potter game, Battlefield 2142, Tiger Woods, Need for Speed Carbo and Madden are all to be released for the plaform, in major boost to gaming on Macs.

Games legend John Carmack, of Id software, also announced that the firm was working on an un-named project for Apple Macs, as well as other major platforms.

FYI, I will probably d/l Safari tonight.

Hmm, so how is it Grave? I might just download it myself just to check it out.

So... does this mean we might see OSX for PC's?

Didn't try it yet, but I will very soon.

Don't be so sure, Windows was made for Mac recently afterall.

Well not directly. You need that BootStrap program to run it on a Mac.

Anyways, I tried it. While I admit that it is a tad faster than IE 7, I just don't see that as justification for making it my main browser. I will probably un-install it now, and come try it out when the final version comes. I don't really like the layout too well compared to IE 7. Also, I noticed it doesn't have very good support ATM. On websites, Flash banners would not show up.

Darth Arkas

RC-1138
Lawl, Apple sucks!

I'm not going to apologize, actually. I should, but I pretty much refuse to. I really, really hate Macs. Unless I was getting paid in fairly large quantities of greenbacks, I wouldn't DL Safari to save my life.
That said, I'd switch to Linux real fast if Microsoft blew up overnight and Windows went bye bye. So I'm only partially biased.

PKT

Forever /a/lone
People have gotten OSX to work on PC when it was in beta. As for this browser IDC about it as opera has been on my waiting list as a cantidate for a better browser before this sp I'll try that first.

Like DestroyRepeat!

Advertisements